Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A lot of people have never had a good, tasty, natural watermelon. Good watermelon is very difficult to come by these days, so difficult that not many people have ever tasted one. It's kind of like tomatoes these days--a whole lot of people don't know what a really good tomato tastes like--and the "grow any time of year" hybrids and not good, whether tomatoes or watermelons.

I would not be surprised if there has never been a good watermelon on a New England store shelf--especially if your experience is that "it has a rough, mushy texture." You might have to have one specially selected from a Southern farmer's market by someone who knows how to select a good one, and have it bootlegged up to you in a red Camaro.
My dad had a watermelon farm, so I'm getting a kick out of this thread.
There are watermelons that looks perfect and when you bite into them, it would kind of smell like a watermelon, and be watery and crumbly. (Like the other posters mentioned.) And those went out to back of the house in the tree line. Old school country living. Let it rot and feed the trees. Or maybe a squirrel or something would eat it. But when you got a nice sweet one, man, that was some good eating. I put salt on mine. Picked that up from my dad. I like it both ways, actually.

My mom has a garden and grows tomatoes ... let me tell you.... once you've had a home grown tomato and then taste a store tomato, you realize store tomatoes taste like writing paper. Anyone who's ever made a spit ball knows what writing paper tastes like. It tastes like that.
Spitball (prank) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia is wrong, and I don't feel like editing it. It's shot through a disassembled ink pen at the guy across the school room. And he's shooting them back....unless he didn't have his pen that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Watermelon is ok for me. Definitely not my favorite fruit. I do have memories as a kid of eating watermelon and then spitting the seeds out like a machine gun.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,697 times
I'm not crazy about watermelon. It's kind of tasteless. I definitely prefer honeydew and cantaloupe to watermelon. Plus it's so big, it doesn't fit in the fridge so if I ever buy it, I buy a half or a quarter. My daughter really likes it, though. She's grown now and doesn't live at home anymore so there's no reason to buy it.

I found a recipe for watermelon daiquiris which I tried last summer. Very disappointing. It was rum, triple sec and frozen watermelon chunks. It didn't have much of a kick. Watermelon doesn't have much flavor on its own. Good to bring to a picnic or BBQ but not worth the space it takes up in the fridge.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the best thing there is. Mandatory for the 4th of July and an essential part of almost any summer outside meal. Juicy and good, hits the spot.

I HATE WATERMELON. In all my life I was alone in my dislike for this summertime necessity. Then I found an uncle who hated it. Really hated it, would not eat it. Just like me.

Why do some people love it so much? Why do some (only one person now? since my uncle passed away) despise it, can't even eat a single mouthful off the stuff? Is it genetic? It doesn't taste good to me and it has a rough mushy texture and it's watery. Now cantaloupe is another story.

If it actually tasted good, I'd be right there, spitting out the seeds, juice running down my face. Is there another person who hates the stuff?
Yep, I totally dislike it too. You aren't alone. My boys used to chew some vile smelling gum that was watermellon flavor. I couldn't stand the smell. To each their own. 'nuf said.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:41 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Watermelon makes my throat itch ....actually any melon does, some type of allergy
I had that reaction to melon for years; same with oranges (though not lemons or limes). It went away on its own at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I don't like chilled watermelon but on occasion like it at room temperature.
That would ruin it for me. I like it ice cold.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I don't like watermelon because it's too, well, watery. The best watermelon I ever had was when we were in Hawaii, those yellow watermelons from Molokai are actually worth eating.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,066 times
I'm only half black so I only half like watermelon

J/K Watermelon is great as long as someone else cuts it up for me, too much work.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,241 times
I don't get it?

What's to like or not like? It tastes like water....

Get real. Is there anyone who doesn't like any kind of melon?

Why watermelon?

Is there anyone who has some kind of topic question?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
I used to like them back when they had some taste to them. They must all be GM watermelons now and they are so tasteless that I can't be bothered buying any.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
This may be a tad sensitive to some but growing up black American and from the south I really didn't care for watermelon for much of my life, especially as a child. Surprise!

I have a cordial relationship with it now. I can eat it with sea salt and dill or even many types of vinegar and that helps with cutting the sweetness. I think the sweetness is what turned me off the most along with the messiness of eating it.
I'm Black as well and I hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink