Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 10:52 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Me too and the seed spitting contest with the kids was always fun
Ah, childhood memories.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have found that all of those mini ones have no flavor. The big ones always have flavor but seem to be better later on like August.

Don't dis cucumbers! The store ones have no taste, but try growing your own. They are delicious, no comparison, same as tomatoes.
Also, even if you get them at a farmer's market, opt for the smaller cukes. They usually taste best.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I have never been overly fond of watermelon, but I did eat it occasionally during the summer. On the other hand, I frequently ate both Honeydew and Cantaloupe melons during the summer, because I much preferred them to watermelon. However, I never liked the runny nose and the burning sensation in my throat that I would experience after eating any of those melons.

A few years ago, while discussing allergies with my physician, I happened to mention the runny nose/burning sensation in my throat, and she made me aware that all of these melons contain the same allergens as Ragweed! I now tend to avoid eating melons, but if I do decide to indulge, at least I now know enough to take an antihistamine beforehand.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/melon-allergy-82834

That's interesting! Never heard of anyone allergic to melons before.

You never know, though. My daughter was tested for allergies a few years ago, and she is allergic to pineapple, which she never liked, as well as pretty much every tree in our state.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:57 PM

628 posts, read 209,163 times
Watermelon is boring. It's also messy to eat most ways so for me it's not worth the trouble or the lack of payoff in buying one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 03:02 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Here's what I've been serving on the deck in the late afternoon:

Agua Fresca de Sandia

Put in blender:

4-5 C. watermelon cubes
About 1/2C. lemon juice
2-4T. sugar or equivalent of sweetener
Couple cups of cold water.

Taste until you get the sweet/sour balance to your taste. Everything depends on your melon and the lemon.

Buzz on high until well blended. Chill until freezing cold, pour into chilled glasses. Add a wooden skewer with a couple of cubes of watermelon or a lemon slice.

It's very thirst-quenching.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:34 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Not a fan of watermelon either, especially the ones that are not sweet and all hard and crunchy especially as you near the rind, yuck. Even the sweeter ones tend to be all mushy and gross.

Only thing I really like watermelon is as flavouring such as hard watermelon candy or drinks.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 PM

213 posts, read 131,590 times
It's my least favorite sweet melon. Personally I prefer Santa Clause and honeydews.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the best thing there is. Mandatory for the 4th of July and an essential part of almost any summer outside meal. Juicy and good, hits the spot.

I HATE WATERMELON. In all my life I was alone in my dislike for this summertime necessity. Then I found an uncle who hated it. Really hated it, would not eat it. Just like me.

Why do some people love it so much? Why do some (only one person now? since my uncle passed away) despise it, can't even eat a single mouthful off the stuff? Is it genetic? It doesn't taste good to me and it has a rough mushy texture and it's watery. Now cantaloupe is another story.

If it actually tasted good, I'd be right there, spitting out the seeds, juice running down my face. Is there another person who hates the stuff?
i never liked watermelon

Old 08-01-2020, 07:05 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
I love watermelon. Unfortunately, I cannot find any that compare with the ones I ate growing up. The ones with the black seeds and really red juicy pulp that was not at all mushy. There is no taste now, or hardly any. I still try once in a while just to get back that old summer days feeling of those old days.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I love watermelon. Unfortunately, I cannot find any that compare with the ones I ate growing up. The ones with the black seeds and really red juicy pulp that was not at all mushy. There is no taste now, or hardly any. I still try once in a while just to get back that old summer days feeling of those old days.
Yes, I agree that the ones with the black seeds were tastier.

I am surprised at how many people don't like watermelon, but that may well have something to do with it. "Seedless" watermelon, which really does have small white seeds, started becoming a thing back in the 1980s, and some people here may never have had anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink