Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:47 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,373,321 times

Advertisements

I make it myself, using an egg custard base which gives it a smooth, creamy texture (as opposed to just a milk/cream base which will be a little more icy in texture).

Most commercial ice creams these days achieve that creamy texture cheaply, by adding carrageenan or any number of gums (locust bean, guar etc.) which I prefer to keep out of my ice cream.

David Lebowitz's chocolate ice cream recipe is the one I use. It's divine and so very creamy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Edy's is good stuff. Even the sugar free is good. I'm about to go vegan, though, so no ice cream. WAAAH!!! I'm extremely interested in the non dairy stuff!!!
Coconut milk makes for a great base for ice cream and is really good with chocolate.

This is actually next on my ice cream to make list: Chai Coconut Milk Ice Cream ? Nourished Kitchen

Old 04-24-2014, 01:39 PM

45,011 posts, read 60,002,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have an ice cream maker too, I made vanilla once and it was great. I should make my own from now on.
Mrs. NBP calls mine "Heart Attack in a Bowl". I, well, don't follow the recipe exactly as regards to cream and sugar.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:48 PM

32,934 posts, read 26,165,604 times
I'll take Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate any day!!!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:42 AM

22 posts, read 31,794 times
I hope this information can help someone. There is an ice cream sold at Kroger and Fred Meyers that you need to be aware of, and for the love of God, stay away from it!! It's called Denali Extreme Maximum Fudge Moose Tracks. It's premium chocolate ice cream with chunks of fudge weighing in at up to 4 oz. I first bought this evil product while living in Alaska. While the name may sound innocuous enough, it's absolute deception. By the time I finished the first carton - in two sittings, I was laying awake in the middle of the night considering whether or not to get up, get dressed and go out into the sub zero weather and drive the ice-caked roads to buy more. In no time I was on my 5th half gallon and I knew it was too late for me but I began warning others to save themselves. I thought about finding a crack cocaine dealer to help distract me from the cravings but I knew it would not work. I've been in a 12 step program for a few months now but it's been 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I don't even eat breakfast, lunch or dinner anymore, just this sinful concoction. If my life and misery can save just one person, it will have been worth it. Please remember me in your prayers.
Attached Thumbnails
Chocolate Ice Cream-extreme-maximum-moose-tracks.jpg  

Old 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM

88,139 posts, read 84,005,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I don't know what it's like where you are, but where I am it has been really hard to find a good Plain Damn Chocolate Ice Cream.

Recently, Breyers has popped up in the local market with Chocolate Ice cream, and Holy Mackerel it's good. It is really, really good. The last one I bought, all the other shelves were full of other flavors and there was only one left of this.

Just make sure that the box you buy says "Ice Cream" on it and not "Artificial Simulated Dairy Food Product". I don't like the Breyers Artificial Simulated Dairy Food Products at all.
Breyers has always made Chocolate, as far as I remember. Not sure I understand that. Maybe your local supermarket was anti-chocolate and wouldn't order it? LOL.

I'm with you on the fake ice cream craze. It used to be you went to the ice cream section and picked out ice cream. Now you have to be so careful that you didn't just buy "Frozen Dairy Dessert" like Fake Sugar Fake Milk Concoction or This Is Really Yogurt But We're Trying To Fool You By Making It Look Like Ice Cream.

Can't they put that crap in a different section and leave the real ice separate so that you can just look them over and choose what you want without fear of bringing home some horror to your freezer? C'mon.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,262,613 times
Looks like it's time to post this again....

Ice Cream’s Dirty Little Secret – The Mindful Table

Old 06-07-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Looks like it's time to post this again....

Ice Cream’s Dirty Little Secret – The Mindful Table
That's why I like to make my own!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 28,478,228 times
I made my own chocolate "ice cream" from almond milk or rice milk in an ice cream maker.

If I want the real thing, I just go get a chocolate ice cream cone or buy a quart at some of the roadside places that make their own and will sell it by the quart or half gallon. There is Richardson's in EMass Locations | Richardsons Ice Cream where you can get a cone and also take some home with you. I agree that Edy's is good ice cream for grocery store ice cream-- at least it was the last time I had any.

A quart of chocolate ice cream wouldn't last long in this house. I don't dare buy a half gallon because that wouldn't last very long either. Ice cream IS fattening.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,917,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I'll take Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate any day!!!
I'm not a chocolate fan, but Blue Bell is the best ice cream .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink