Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

I just recalled an incident from my childhood.
Circa 1958, my mother, brother, and I were walking home on a particularly hot day.
We came upon the recently-opened Josie's Sweet Shoppe, which had a sign in its window advertising 10 cent ice cream sodas. Because the prevailing price at that time was 15 cents, Josie's price was a bargain.

In we went, and I immediately noticed that the state of hygiene of both Josie and her shop were...let's just say...substandard. My mother and brother both ordered ice cream sodas, and I opted to go without refreshment.

My mother--who was not exactly a spendthrift--urged me to take advantage of the bargain prices at Josie's, but I was firm in my refusal.

The bottom line is that both my mother and brother suffered rapid evacuations from both ends of their alimentary canal for several hours afterward, while I had no problems at all. I was probably only about 9 years old, but I definitely recognized a dirty place when I saw it.

To her credit, my mother later asked me why I had refused to partake of Josie's "delights" that day, and I told her about my observations in that shop. She then asked me why I had not mentioned what I had observed, and I then reminded her that she almost always rejected my opinions and observations.

After this incident, she was much more willing to ask for my opinions on food-related issues and on other matters as well. Yes, I was a very observant child...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 04:15 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I've had food poisoning from Taco Time twice, back in the 80s. I didn't put it together after the first time, but after the second time, I realized that was almost certainly where the 1st time happened also. I didn't go there for about a decade, but go there regularly again now.

I got food poisoning from The Ram the only time I've ever been there.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,417 times
Yes. I was about 20 years old and got food-borne hepatitis from either KFC or Taco Bell. I was sick for about a month and nearly died.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:33 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
My husband got sick from bacon one time. His mom cooked the whole thing and she refrigerated what was left. Not sure how long it was in there but my then( boyfriend) now husband saw it and ate it. That night we went out to dinner and had to leave right after the meal because he felt sick. We went back to my mom's and he had diarrhea for 1/2 hour.He left and said he vomited when he got home and had more diarrhea.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I almost ate bad shrimp once, but it smelled really horrible, like ammonia. So I told the waitress something was wrong with it and I got something else instead that day. I still eat shrimp - but I know that if it smells off, it probably is.

Once, I did drink vodka and pineapple juice and the juice was bad. I was puking all night. I was -also- drunk, and that contributed to being sick as well. My solution: I don't drink vodka anymore

Old 07-31-2015, 07:26 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
A Wendy's chicken sandwich. I was 3 months pregnant, so of course my OB thought it was morning sickness. It was NOT. It was my 3rd pregnancy, and I know morning sickness.

Anyhoo, we had gone through the drive thru at around 3 on a Sunday. I noticed the chicken seemed kind of dry and chewy, but ate it anyway. 12 hours later I started vomiting. About 24 hours I started having the worst diarrhea of my life. I had to be rehydrated twice by IV fluids, and lost 10 lbs in one week.

I reported it to the health department, but they didn't seem concerned. They said since they had no other complaints, they weren't going to follow up on it. Nice.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,432 times
My husband and I both got horribly ill from an Arbys's takeout meal in 1974 and I still sometimes feel like shuddering when I drive by an Arby's.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
I have had food poisoning twice once from a hot dog cart 20+ years ago. Secondly from a Chinese all you can eat which required prescription meds .No over the counter meds strong enough for that. They both closed shortly after I had problems.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Just a few things to keep in mind.

Mayonnaise is almost as shelf stable as mustard. It can actually be kept unrefrigerated.

Heat kills most bacteria in foods except staph which is resistant up to 200 F, so raw foods and cooked foods left out will most likely be the cause in most cases.

Food poisoning is not always caused by the most recent thing you eat. It could actually be something that was consumed a few days before.

Last edited by gguerra; 08-06-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 02:48 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Just a few things to keep in mind.

Mayonnaise is almost as shelf stable as mustard. It can actually be kept unrefrigerated.

Heat kills most bacteria in foods except staph which is resistant up to 200 F, so raw foods and cooked foods left out will most likely be the cause in most cases.

Food poisoning is not always caused by the most recent thing you eat. It could actually be something that was consumed a few days before.
I think due to high acid content (vinegar or lemon juice)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink