Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 AM

302 posts, read 368,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As I hate to clean frying pans most of my "frying" is done in the oven. Put a sheet of Aluminum Foil on the center rack pre-heat to 415 Put a sheet of parchment paper on top of the foil put what I'm "frying" on that close the door, raise the temp to 425 check on what's in the oven every now and then. If it is bleeding it needs to stay in longer, if it's crispy I take it out, if it's smoking I left it in too long.

Yes I do most of the cooking. wife likes my cooking, but she does hate I'm a slob and don't clean up my mess.

I believe cooking with this stuff isn't a good idea......some might call it a carcinogen

Sugita T, Ishiwata H, Yoshihira K. [Migration of heavy metals into food-simulating solvents from aluminum pans]. Eisei Shikenjo Hokoku 1988;(106):124-6. 1988.

Grilling with aluminum foil: What are the health risks?

KevinMD.com | Social media’s leading physician voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Canola oil should have never been approved by the FDA and there was plenty of funny business there to get it approved! If you read the reports of people dropping dead from heart legions after consuming rapeseed oil which contained erucic acid, and realize that Canola is rapeseed oil where they have attempted to select out the erucic acid, only they didn't get it all, you'd likely agree. Then they took this already unhealthy oil and created a GMO version! If it doesn't say non-GMO, it's the GMO version. But... it is bad either way.

Anyway, peanut oil is a good idea for occasional high heat frying but for most cooking, UNrefined, not refined, organic coconut oil is my preference.... healthier and tastier. As long as you keep the heat no higher than medium, it doesn't smoke. Stir-fries, eggs, pan fry fish, are all safe.
I agree. I am all about coconut oil for cooking. I use olive oil on salads and in things like pesto.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
I believe cooking with this stuff isn't a good idea......some might call it a carcinogen

Sugita T, Ishiwata H, Yoshihira K. [Migration of heavy metals into food-simulating solvents from aluminum pans]. Eisei Shikenjo Hokoku 1988;(106):124-6. 1988.

Grilling with aluminum foil: What are the health risks?

KevinMD.com | Social media’s leading physician voice
That is the reason for the parchment paper over the aluminum foil.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
I absolutely HATE the taste of Canola oil so needless to say I don't use it for anything. I do like deep-fried foods {my bad}, but I'm also very thrifty so I won't use an expensive oil for deep frying. I found that sunflower oil suits me best for that purpose. It's fairly inexpensive and I find that I can use that oil many dozens of times without it going rancid. I just strain it through cheese cloth after use and put it in the fridge. You can only do that if you never fry any meat or fish in the oil. The fats from those foods don't keep. I used to use peanut oil for deep frying but it's gotten very expensive lately. For other oil uses other than frying I use a variety of oils. Virgin Olive of course for any Mediterranean cooking, peanut for any Asian dishes, hemp oil just for fun and other crafty oils. My wife bought some grape seed oil lately and I don't like the taste of it. The home I was raised in used almost nothing but lard for cooking and for baking. The food was superb but I'm told not that healthy.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I use Grapeseed oil for frying and Olive oil for everything else.
Ditto. I use olive oil for most everything, because I enjoy the taste, but grape seed oil has a neutral flavor that makes it wonderful for frying. Occasionally, I also use coconut oil, and there's a small container of bacon grease in my fridge door for flavoring beans and greens. And don't forget butter! Augmented with a little oil, it's terrific for pan-frying, especially eggs.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-30-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 AM

302 posts, read 368,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
That is the reason for the parchment paper over the aluminum foil.

Good 4 you..... I got rid of all my Aluminum pots and pans just in case

Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,361 times
I use Avocado oil. High smoke point, and just as good on salads as olive oil.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Everything will eventually be classified as being harmful to you, everything. If you live your life constantly changing this and that because of some study you aren't really accomplishing a darn thing are you?

Think about it.

What makes anyone think that eventually any oil won't be studied and found to have some harmful effect or at least no benefit previously associated with it?

The key to good health in food is moderation. If you can't moderate what you eat, switching to the oil of the day isn't going to do anything for you.

It really is that simple.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
As a former oncology nurse, I can pretty much guarantee that life is a carcinogen.

I agree with MackKnife

That said, I've been using grape seed for years now--it's finally become a little easier to find & less expensive. I use "good" olive oil (props to Ina ) more as a finishing oil. That idiot Rachael Ray has influenced thousands to think extra virgin olive oil--excuse me--EVOO, should be used willy-nilly for all applications.

Canola has always had a "fishy" taste to me.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM

802 posts, read 642,488 times
Another in agreement with MackKnife.

I use vegetable oil, lard, bacon fat, olive oil, sesame oil, butter, etc., depends on what I'm cooking/frying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink