Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:27 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times

Advertisements

No, but I never have been the sort who eats "meals" regularly, even in childhood.
I graze & snack, and that suits my bodily operating system fine-it's not an issue of not having the time.

Every other day, I cook meat & pasta (or pick up ready-to-eat chicken at grocery store) for dinner.
All the consumption in between those instances is snack food, eaten gradually throughout the day/night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,283 times
Default Sit-Down Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
If by "sit-down meal" you mean scarfing whatever you can grab at your desk between appointments, well...actually I don't even do three of those a day.
LOL, Cliffie...Guess I should have defined "sit-down meal." I remember those working days where I just scarfed down as much food as I could between two patients. I'm still a fast eater because of that.

It really is too bad that some of today's children are growing up without knowing what a sit-down meal with the family is, but with both parents working and the kids involved in school activities/homework, what else can they do?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
My eating is very erratic. Most mornings I am not hungry until I've been up a few hours. Occasionally, though, I wake up feeling absolutely famished.

No real pattern to when/what/where I eat. I am the same way with other things too - I don't like having set routines/ schedules, such as for chores, bill paying, etc.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:40 PM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
When the kids were little we always had breakfast and dinner as a family. Lunch they had in school,and we parents at work. The meals were a way to connect,talk about the day,and it was important for all of us. Whenever they come home we still eat together as a family or extended family by now.Otherwise DH and I have always breakfast and dinner together,light a candle ,have classical music on and talk a bit or not

Old 05-01-2014, 02:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
I try and eat breakfast every day, eggs and toast with meat..and that's a sit down for me..I typically eat lunch standing up or don't eat lunch at all..many days we work right through lunch..
I always have a sit down dinner..

Old 05-01-2014, 03:05 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Most days yes. I plan my meals ahead of time. When I don't, I don't eat as healthy.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:02 PM

284 posts, read 492,289 times
I usually eat four times a day, and have an evening snack.

- breakfast at 7:30 is typically 2 cups of coffee and 2 pieces of toast with some spread, or cereal or 2 scrambled eggs plus toast, maybe bacon or cheese.

- I am usually hungry by 11am -noon, if a work day I may have a salad, granola bar, fruit and a small pudding for desert, or leftover pasta, stew, chili or a ham, roast beef or cheese and tomato sandwich plus the other stuff.

-about 4pm I will have another meal similar to the 11am meal

- anytime between 7pm and 9pm I will have a cooked meal with meat or fish, potatoes and vegetables or sometimes just vegetable soup and bread and butter if I am less hungry.

Usually I will have dried fruit, cheese and crackers or something light before bed.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:05 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Generally, we eat all three meals at either the kitchen table or the dining room table. If I am home alone in the morning, I will eat a light breakfast in the family room while getting caught up on e-mails. We rarely eat any fast food but we never have it for dinner.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I grab a coffee and a grain muffin on my way to work, but eat it at work sitting down. I'll never eat on the go, I always sit down to eat and take my time to digest. Eating on the guy makes eating just a functional utilitarian thing, takes away the pleasure. I'm not a wildebeest!
Oh, I don't know. I would think that eating on the guy would increase my pleasure.....

Old 05-01-2014, 04:27 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Just wondering...we Americans are so "go, go, go." Do you actually eat three sit-down meals a day?

I have a friend who is very rigid about her meals. She eats very healthy (organic, etc.) and will never skip a meal. I seem to eat when I feel hungry...usually a mid-morning meal and another larger meal late afternoon. Then I snack in the evening. Not the best eating habits, I guess. I'm retired, so I can eat when I want.

How about you? What are your eating habits? Do you eat a sit-down breakfast, or do you grab coffee and a granola bar on your way to work? I suppose most working people eat lunch. How about dinner? Do you cook an actual meal, pick up fast food, or just pop some popcorn? I was guilty of all of the above when I worked. Anyone actually eat three sit-down meals anymore?

I am fairly "rigid" also. I think that eating together is a good thing. When my children were younger, we ate breakfast and dinner together, as well as weekend lunches and brunches.

Now that they are in their late teens early 20s, we eat dinner together 3 or 4 times a week. No TV. Set the table. Take turns clearing the table and loading the dishwasher.

Call me old fashioned or traditional. I don't care. It's been good for us. It's a time that we all look forward to. Lot's of laughs and good company.

The food ain't bad either.http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/cff/docume...sfactsheet.pdf

Then there is this - from Purdue University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink