Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:16 PM

210 posts, read 382,404 times

Advertisements

Before you grill them, you should marinate them (for at least a couple of hours) in whatever flavors (garlic, lemon, Cajun spice, etc) you like and be sure to include salt and pepper. You can certainly find recipes online or buy marinades in the grocery store.

Another option is sprinkle the chicken with spice mixes or flavored salt on before you grill...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I'm trying to lose some weight before the summer and know I should incorporate a lot of chicken in my diet. I buy regular chicken breasts from Jewel and usually just cook them on a pan, but I just can't get them to taste good. It's not like they taste horrible, but they're just so bland. Last night, I even tried marinating them with some stir fry sauce, but it didn't help much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The sauces and the dark meat are more caloric than plain steamed chicken. I like to drop boneless chicken breasts into a pot of boiling water...bring it back up to a boil....and shut off, remove from heat, cover and let sit 15. Nice poached chicken to do whatever you want .....like your own version of chipotle's taco bowl. I guess you could use the bone in and just cut the chicken off the bone when cool.
There are many ways of preparing chicken breasts that not only taste good but help the waist line.
I've been making my own chicken stock using breasts (sometimes with the rib meat) adding an onion,
celery, carrots and a bay leaf--simmering it for about 2 hours on low. The poached chicken is
delicious and what ever is left over can make other healthy dishes (casseroles, enchiladas, tacos,
salads etc...) I also use them to make Italian gravy (sauce).
I've attached a link to a tasty Lebanese recipe and some Pillsbury recipes (you can substitute
other ingredients that are lower in fat and calories).
I also make oven baked chicken that everyone loves using panko bread crumbs combined with a little
parm. cheese, basil, pepper and paprika. First dip the breasts in garlic butter or a healthy margarine,
coat the breasts with the panko mix (set aside) then pour the remaining butter in a pan and place the
coated breast on top. Cook for one hour 400 degrees (baste occasionally).

Lebanese Chicken Recipe | Epicurious.com

Chicken Recipes from Pillsbury.com

Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,917 times
I agree with one of the posters above about buying chicken from the farmers market. Fresh chicken from a small farmer who has allowed their chickens to roam around free and natural like eating lots of green grass and bugs taste completely different and far better imo than the mass produced industrial chickens whose feet never tough the ground and they do not have a natural diet. Aside from the fabulous taste, they are also more healthy as they will have a substantial amount of omega-3 (from the grass). I'd also ask them if they supplement with non-gmo feed or do they use "regular" feed which does contain plenty of GMO.

Here's another suggestion. Bake the chicken with fresh rosemary and thyme. I place the springs (I use a lot when i do it this way) on the bottom of the pan and lay the chicken over it. The flavor and aroma from this is amazing and far better than using dried herbs, although that would spruce up your chicken a bit too. I eat the chicken flavored baked herb leaves off the branches too as they are tasty and healthy. Throw a few carrots and potatoes in too with a salad on the side and you're set!

It is very easy to grow your own rosemary and thyme by the way. They are perennials so you can keep them for years. You can put them in the ground and they'll grow to a nice size bush but if you rent you can also keep transferring them each year to a bigger container.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I forgot to mention that the low temp baking at 220f should be done for about two hours. If you're doing other cuts, it might take longer ..... and a whole chicken would take about six hours at that temp.

The skin is not as beautiful or tasty as with high temp cooking, but the flavor and texture of the meat is better.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
For grilled chicken breasts marinate them in pickle juice and different seasonings.

Salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, a dash or paprika...

Old 05-01-2014, 11:21 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Wow, great ideas. Thanks everyone!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:25 PM

351 posts, read 587,178 times
The following is a really good recipe for skinless, boneless chicken breast. I got this from a former room mate and I've always gotten compliments when I've served this and it's so easy to make.

Jamaican Chicken

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons golden or dark rum
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped chives
1 pound, 2 ounces, skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 medium onion, chopped

1. Combine Worcestershire, soy sauce, rum, garlic and chives in a bowl.
2. Wash and dry chicken and place in bowl with marinade, turning to coat both sides.
3. Heat oil in nonstick skillet and add sugar. Cook until sugar is almost completely melted. Remove chicken from marinade and set aside marinade. Place chicken in the skillet and brown on both sides.
4. When chicken is brown add marinade and onions and cook about 10 minutes longer, until chicken is cooked through and onion is soft.

Yield: 3 servings

Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 AM

513 posts, read 799,375 times
Wegmans has awesome chicken breasts. You can buy in bulk or in a two pack. They also are packaged in marinades so you can pick whichever ones you like. I buy the two pack and cook them in 8 oz of water with two bouillon cubes. The water evaporates and leaves the chicken super juicy. Even my three year old loves them. Our favorite meal is the BBQ sugar chicken with a couple fingerling potatoes chopped into bite size pieces and tossed with a bit of EVOO, garlic, and rosemary. Roast in toaster oven at 450 degrees for twenty mins while chicken is cooking. Then a veggie side like broccoli. Healthy meal done and ready within twenty mins.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I poach cutlets in water with lemon and parsley, but given that you don't like the taste of chicken, I have my doubts that you would enjoy such a plain presentation.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:02 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I eat boneless, skinless chicken breast several times a week. I know this isn't gourmet but when I'm in a hurry I use one of the Shake & Bake varieties -- teriyaki and barbecue glazes are probably my favorites (I don't use the coating bags as the glaze just sticks to the bag once it gets wet -- instead, I sprinkle the glaze on the chicken, then turn it and sprinkle some more (this way very little glaze is wasted).

I also use cut-up chicken breast in stir-fries with various sauces over rice or rice noodles -- yum!

I've always found chicken breasts (especially baked) to be delicious and full of flavor. Honestly, I'm surprised by how many are saying it's bland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink