Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:04 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times

Advertisements

(sorry for highjacking this thread, but I have a question: are Joe Foreman grills all they are cracked up to be?

My brother has one that he doesn't want. If I pay him $10 for it, will I use it or is it just a fad thing that gets put away in a cupboard to collect dust after using it a few times like he did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Not I. But I'm pretty sure the next step is to fry them somehow, and so incorporate a lot of fat into the recipe That always helps. When something's breaded, and then cooked, that cooking is almost always some kind of frying. I don't have anything against it at all, as long as the oil used is one of the healthier ones, but it's no longer low-fat.
In which case they're better off with a boneless thigh which doesn't need frying to taste good.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Get bone in. Marinate in a mix of lemon, vinegar, cumin - along with other seasonings.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Brine your chicken breasts. Good Dinner Mom | How To Brine Chicken Breasts - Good Dinner Mom

I don't follow the recipe exactly, just throw in whatever spices you want into the salt water mixture.
George nailed it. I also like oven fried chicken breasts. Google "oven fried chicken breast" and you will find many recipes. I just looked, and one of the recipes was for honey brined chicken breasts. It sounds interesting...

Old 05-04-2014, 12:14 PM

726 posts, read 1,366,263 times
Another simple idea is to cut up your chicken breasts into chucks/strips, stir-fry them in a little coconut oil and then add lots of delicious veggies like red and green bell pepper, onion, kale, yellow squash, etc.... maybe some shiitake, oyster, etc mushrooms... in this way, you can vary up your meal quite a bit by what you add to your stir-fry. You could turn this into curry easily too. Very healthy, very tasty, and takes less than 30 minutes including prep and cooking time. Great left-overs for the next day's lunch too.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Apologies if this link has been posted already; I haven't read the entire thread. 50 different ways to cook chicken. Super easy and lots of variety here:
50 Ways To Cook Chicken | Women's Health Magazine

Old 05-04-2014, 01:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I've posted in a few other places (mostly the diet/weight loss forum) but my #1 go-to use for chicken breast is salad. Here's a couple of ideas for it:

1. I always use field greens/spring mix as the base salad.
2. Usually add halved cherry or grape tomatoes, chunked beefsteaks alternately.
-----
Scampi style:
chunk the chicken breasts, set aside. In a single fry pan, heat:
a few splashes olive oil, a pat of butter, a thinly-sliced shallot, sliced mundane white button mushrooms.

Once the shallots turn translucent, toss the chicken into the pan. Stir-fry it for awhile then add:
a couple capsful of sherry (or cooking sherry), squeeze a 1/4 lemon into the pan, add some red pepper flakes, and mince 2 cloves of garlic in the pan. Stir another minute, add a few generous pinches of dried parsley.

Pour the whole thing over the salad base, stir, add some crusty croutons and parmasean cheese, toss, eat.

Anon-Chick Style:

Use baked chicken breasts, OR chunk and stir-fry with just a little olive oil. No seasonings necessary yet.

In the base salad, add some gorgonzola cheese crumbled up and some glazed pecans.

In a pudding cup (or plastic container if you plan on keeping it for a few days), mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dried oregano, cracked black pepper, a dash of salt, and a clove (or two) of garlic. Wisk well.

Put the chicken on the base salad, pour the balsamic dressing over the whole thing, toss, eat.

Yes, you are eating cold salad with hot chicken. It's part of the experience and it's delicious.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
(sorry for highjacking this thread, but I have a question: are Joe Foreman grills all they are cracked up to be?

My brother has one that he doesn't want. If I pay him $10 for it, will I use it or is it just a fad thing that gets put away in a cupboard to collect dust after using it a few times like he did?
I used mine until it broke. I never bought another one, but now that I think about it...

It cooked things fast because both sides were cooking at the same time, easy to clean, no stick. I used it mainly to cook salmon.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:41 PM

818 posts, read 1,016,745 times
Marinate them with something you like. Grill them or roast them. Do not overcook them. Slice thin across the grain.. They will be good. Or stir fry.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 05-04-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 08:03 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
If I make saute'd chicken or stir fry I always cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and sprinkle the chicken with cornstarch. It makes the chicken taste moist and buttery. The trick is to not over cook chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink