Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

I think the brand of soy sauces most Americans are familiar with is Kikkoman. But there are many different styles from the Far East. Do you use different types for different dishes?

Soy sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:10 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I am not a soy sauce expert I use low sodium Kikkoman, La Choy or store brand. I don't use it often and I have not had any other types.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I use low sodium Kikkoman also, when we need soy sauce. It has a great flavor.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:43 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
I only use one, though technically it's gluten free tamari sauce

Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
i think the same bottle of kikkoman soy sauce has been sitting in the cabinet here for the past 3 years

Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I use two - Ohsawa Nama Shoyu and Kikkoman. The first one is unpasteurized and is perfect for dipping (I know, I used it for making Udon soup). Kikkoman is my favorite for cooking.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 PM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Default Yes I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think the brand of soy sauces most Americans are familiar with is Kikkoman. But there are many different styles from the Far East. Do you use different types for different dishes?
Yes I do. However before I get into that, I have to share this story from my childhood that I still think about and find humorous.

Elsewhere on CD, I explained how I happened to have a caucasian grandmother even though I don't have any caucasian blood myself. She and my grandfather would visit us from Rochester, New York every other year and stay at my parent's home on Pacific Heights which is a hillside community.

Anyway, at the bottom of Pacific Heights Road there used to be a soy sauce factory owned by the Honolulu Sake Brewery and Ice Co., Ltd., and they made Diamond Soy Sauce which was sold in 1 gallon glass bottles. Several times during the week when they would be brewing the soy sauce my caucasian grandmother (who liked authentic chinese cuisine) would be riding in the car with us as we were heading home passing the factory and exclaim, "Ugh! what is that odor?" "It smells like a skunk!" LOL

Well maybe to her, but to me it smelled HEAVENLY! I grew up on that soy sauce and when the factory was sold and turned into a housing development, I started using Yamasa soy sauce from Japan. Even though I cook a lot of chinese dishes, I don't care for chinese made thin soy sauces like the Kim Lan brand.

I use Yamasa Usukuchi soy sauce which is lighter in color than regular soy sauce when I don't want the dish to be darken by the color of regular soy sauce when I make japanese nimono dishes, like nishime or kombu maki. I use regular Yamasa soy sauce to cook all other japanese, chinese and korean dishes.

The third soy sauce I use is the chinese brand Koon Chun thick soy sauce which has molasses in it and is just as thick as molasses to cook chinese dishes such as roasted stuffed chicken with lily flower, etc..

Old 05-04-2014, 09:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
...when I make japanese nimono dishes, like nishime or kombu maki....
YES!! I forgot about konbumaki - I LOVE those rolls when they are made with pork. I'm glad you mentioned that dish.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
Yes I do. However before I get into that, I have to share this story from my childhood that I still think about and find humorous.

Elsewhere on CD, I explained how I happened to have a caucasian grandmother even though I don't have any caucasian blood myself. She and my grandfather would visit us from Rochester, New York every other year and stay at my parent's home on Pacific Heights which is a hillside community.

Anyway, at the bottom of Pacific Heights Road there used to be a soy sauce factory owned by the Honolulu Sake Brewery and Ice Co., Ltd., and they made Diamond Soy Sauce which was sold in 1 gallon glass bottles. Several times during the week when they would be brewing the soy sauce my caucasian grandmother (who liked authentic chinese cuisine) would be riding in the car with us as we were heading home passing the factory and exclaim, "Ugh! what is that odor?" "It smells like a skunk!" LOL

Well maybe to her, but to me it smelled HEAVENLY! I grew up on that soy sauce and when the factory was sold and turned into a housing development, I started using Yamasa soy sauce from Japan. Even though I cook a lot of chinese dishes, I don't care for chinese made thin soy sauces like the Kim Lan brand.

I use Yamasa Usukuchi soy sauce which is lighter in color than regular soy sauce when I don't want the dish to be darken by the color of regular soy sauce when I make japanese nimono dishes, like nishime or kombu maki. I use regular Yamasa soy sauce to cook all other japanese, chinese and korean dishes.

The third soy sauce I use is the chinese brand Koon Chun thick soy sauce which has molasses in it and is just as thick as molasses to cook chinese dishes such as roasted stuffed chicken with lily flower, etc..
My go to soy sauce is San-J Tamari. Reason, I learned "Japanese !,000 Year Old Sauce" recipe, in Japan and that's what she used. I also have "Aloha Shoyu" which presents a quandary, Honolulu21. It clearly states on my 32 oz. bottle THAT: "Hawaii's Favorite Since 1946." Lastly, I always have a bottle of "ABC" sweet soy sauce around. This is also known as "Kecap Manis" or Indonesian sweet soy sauce. It may be similar to your Koon Chun, it's as thick as molasses too but uses palm sugar. Great finish on Texas BBQ!

As an afterthought: The Indonesian cuisine was good and varied as any great food culture I've experienced but we seldom see Indonesian restaurants except in LA or NYC.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,365 times
This is a very interesting thread -- to be honest, I just keep Kikkoman low sodium in my pantry. I don't think I realized that there was so much diversity in soy sauces (silly me). Definitely keeping an eye on this thread to learn more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink