Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Last time I was there, I tried (from the frozen section) some chocolate croissants.

OMG.

Just added something to my TJ buy list!

I'm a TJ fan. For some reason their prepared meals are more appealing to me than anything I can get at the usual supermarkets. The imported cheese section never lets me down. The cheese themselves isn't always cheaper depending on what is needed at the time, but I do like their selection.

The bread selection in my current city is depressing, but I guess shopping in a Manhattan Trader Joes can spoil you when you move elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 05:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
If there was a Trader Joe's closer to home I'd probably go there. I've only been to the nearest one to me once, and I'll never do it again. I had to drive through Long Wharf I-91/I-95 exchange, all the way to Orange, then on Rte 1 - on a Saturday -and TJs was on the other side of the street with no traffic light so I had to wait to take a left...

They couldn't pay me to do that again, I would turn down a paid mystery shop, that's how much I loathe the idea of that drive.

Aldi's, its less-expensive, less-exotic sister company, is much closer to home but unfortunately it is also on one of the worst roads in the area (route 80 on the New Haven/East Haven line). We moved out of that neighborhood 11 years ago in part because of that nightmare traffic mess. I do go there once in awhile, maybe once every few months. It's not nearly as bad as Rte 1, plus it's only 15 minutes using the back roads.

I really like the selection of stuff at both places. I just wish it was closer to home or at least more convenient to drive.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:56 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Edamame crackers!!!!

Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Interesting list by the op. I have to take a friend to Trader Joe's next weekend, because that's where she shops & she's now car less. I'll look around, but I'm not sure if I'll buy anything though, because from what I remember the prices were expensive!!

Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You cannot get "most everything they (Trader Joe's) sell" at Super Target or local grocery stores. For one thing, to those of us for whom it matters, high fructose corn syrup, the sweetener that will be in all the treats and juices sold at Target, Safeway, Fred Meyer and Thriftway, is not a good thing. When you consider that all the products sold at TJ's are made naturally or close to it, the fact that the price between TJ's and LOCAL stores is not all that different becomes rather amazing.

People will hate on anyone and anything that is trying to do the right thing for people. H8ters gonna h8. I think the fact that in 10 posts only 2 are h8ters says a lot. If it were me I'd be checking my math again and trying to see where maybe I messed up.

H

Missing those 'dolphin safe' tuna in Thai curry meals that TJ's used to sell. Anyone else ever try them??
I find it interesting that those who have a differing opinion than you are automatically "h8ters." It sounds like you are the intolerant one.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Chocolate Almond Granola cereal
Garlic hummus
Irish butter
English muffins -- much better AND less expensive than Thomas'
Sea salt pita chips
Almond milk
TJ OJ -- organic is cheaper and tastes better than Tropicana
White cheddar corn puffs. Gluten free and better than Pirates Booty
TJ Snickerdoodles. Gluten free, 8 allergen free and taste delicious.
Shepards pie
Cheeses
Pot roast...awesome in the crockpot

Old 05-11-2014, 10:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Things I really like from TJs and buy all the time:
-Frozen vegetables (jkgourmet is right!) French cut green beans, corn, baby peas, etc., better than any I've ever had and often better than fresh ones)
-Enchilada sauce (my favorite I've ever tasted)
-Some of the frozen dinners, esp. ethnic varieties
-Frozen appetizers I can put in the toaster oven for guests
-Fruit beverages of all kinds (juices, sparkling flavored waters, cider)
-Beer (I don't drink it myself, but if I have guests who do, I pick up a 6-pack already chilled at TJs)
-Vermouth (I use it in cooking and it's really cheap at TJs)
-TJ's "Refresh"-brand Citrus Body Wash (inexpensive and smells great for men and women)
-TJ's "Refresh"-brand Citrus Hair Conditioner (I like a really light hair conditioner for detangling. I buy this one and mix it 1/3 to 2/3 water. Mixes easily and gives me three bottles of great-smelling hair conditioner for the price of one.
-Almond windmill cookies (so crunchy, so tasty!)
-Cheeses (good selection, good prices)
-Special holiday treats (they always have something new and fun)
-Cut flowers (always a bargain)
-Potted herbs (usually beautiful specimens)

Things I don't buy at TJs:
-Baked goods (I've tried so many and never found any I really liked and that didn't get moldy almost immediately)
-Soups (aren't as good as other brands)
-Fresh produce (I have a regular supermarket that has much better produce, usually cheaper)
-TJs version of Skinny Cow ice cream products (amazingly awful)
-Wine (I prefer the selection at Costco)
-Paper products (not a good deal)

Free tip:
I've noticed TJ's gift cards to be inordinately popular at gift exchanges. At holiday-time last year, my local TJs actually sold out of gift cards!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:34 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Before I moved, I was within 25 min. driving distance to 4 different Trader Joes! It was kind of neat really, and to be able to tell those outside the region that know about Trader Joes about that as half bragging, half status symbol.

I used to get the usual stuff that honestly, I ended up getting more and more at regular supermarkets just because every now and then, I'd be on the road and find myself passing by a supermarket, but being nowhere near a TJ. I would go in to grab a free sample, and a tiny cup of coffee too. My favorite item that they no longer carry were the multi-grain pilafs... soybeans, beans, grains, tomatoes, onion. $2 a pouch, throw it in the microwave for 2 minutes, and viola! You have a side dish that costs as much as large fries at McDonalds, but a whole lot healthier, and even more convenient too.

Now, the closest TJ is about 40 minutes away. I do miss some of their specialty items, but I make do with local super markets. It's actually still kind of nice, as one local one is more Mexican influenced, but their produce is super cheap, along with other bric-a-brac stuff. Besides, not everything at TJ is good for you. Those maple cream sandwich cookies come in at 110 calories per cookie!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Nuts and dried fruit - cheaper, more varieties/flavors than anywhere else, and about 100 times better quality than the grocery store.

Cheap gourmet cheese is my other fave.
Costco does better on those nuts. Fresher and cheaper for all standard varieties. No flavors though.

agree about the cheeses, though the prices at TJ's have escalated dramatically and rapidly,

Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Things I really like from TJs and buy all the time:
-Frozen vegetables (jkgourmet is right!) French cut green beans, corn, baby peas, etc., better than any I've ever had and often better than fresh ones)
-Enchilada sauce (my favorite I've ever tasted)
-Some of the frozen dinners, esp. ethnic varieties
-Frozen appetizers I can put in the toaster oven for guests
-Fruit beverages of all kinds (juices, sparkling flavored waters, cider)
-Beer (I don't drink it myself, but if I have guests who do, I pick up a 6-pack already chilled at TJs)
-Vermouth (I use it in cooking and it's really cheap at TJs)
-TJ's "Refresh"-brand Citrus Body Wash (inexpensive and smells great for men and women)
-TJ's "Refresh"-brand Citrus Hair Conditioner (I like a really light hair conditioner for detangling. I buy this one and mix it 1/3 to 2/3 water. Mixes easily and gives me three bottles of great-smelling hair conditioner for the price of one.
-Almond windmill cookies (so crunchy, so tasty!)
-Cheeses (good selection, good prices)
-Special holiday treats (they always have something new and fun)
-Cut flowers (always a bargain)
-Potted herbs (usually beautiful specimens)

Things I don't buy at TJs:
-Baked goods (I've tried so many and never found any I really liked and that didn't get moldy almost immediately)
-Soups (aren't as good as other brands)
-Fresh produce (I have a regular supermarket that has much better produce, usually cheaper)
-TJs version of Skinny Cow ice cream products (amazingly awful)
-Wine (I prefer the selection at Costco)
-Paper products (not a good deal)

Free tip:
I've noticed TJ's gift cards to be inordinately popular at gift exchanges. At holiday-time last year, my local TJs actually sold out of gift cards!
Thanks fir the heads up on the enchilada sauce. Maybe I'll stop making my own! And I forgot to include the white baslamic vinegar. Their more expensive red is good for the price - the small one in the square bottke,

agree with you 1000% on your don't buy list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink