Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 AM

39 posts, read 90,017 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the list!!! Interesting to see all the different shops!

I realize there are not many national shops thus my request was to list your favorite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I don't recognize about 75% of the names mentioned. With the exception of Wal-Mart superstores (which we have but I don't go to), there aren't really any truly national grocery store chains. Beware of Wal-Mart advertising that compares their grocery prices to other national chains, because there aren't any.

For general groceries I like WINCO. They are inexpensive, open 24 hours and they are employee-owned so they don't screw over their workers like most retail chains do. For stuff not carried at WINCO, I go to Fred Meyer. They are owned by Kroger and apparently carry some of the same stuff, but run as a separate entity since they are not grocery only. Freddy's is a big box chain that also carries stuff like jewelry (they are one of the largest jewelers in the country), garden, housewares, toys, clothing and electronics.

For specialty groceries I like Trader Joe's.
Oh! Boise used to have a Winco!!! It was nice! Then it either closed or got bought out.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
First place: Oliver's Market in Cotati, California

A small, but full-service market with lots of local foods in the middle of the Northern California wine country. Foodie heaven!

Runner up: Petaluma Market in Petaluma, California

Similar to above, but not as close to my house.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 AM

861 posts, read 1,336,015 times
No one's heard of it but Stater Bro's. They don't require a club card to get the advertised prices and often have the best sales prices.

Check out their ad....

Stater Bros. Markets - Weekly Ad

Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilder View Post
Oh! Boise used to have a Winco!!! It was nice! Then it either closed or got bought out.
Lol, the Boise area has several Winco's and the grocer is headquartered in Boise and has a large shipping facility east of the airport.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
There are very limited options where I live but the best store would be Kroger. If I could move to my home town, there
are many ethnic grocery stores (Asian, Middle Eastern, European, Mexican, etc..) as well as delis and bakeries.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Lol, the Boise area has several Winco's and the grocer is headquartered in Boise and has a large shipping facility east of the airport.
Really? I thought there was just that on... Oh, I think Fairview Ave? I heard Boise's blossomed quite a bit!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Anyone been to the Berkeley Bowl (California) or Stew Leonard's (Conn)? I haven't been to either but plan to next time I am in the area.

I was quite impressed with the Suffield, Conn branch of the small Highland Market chain - quite upscale selection of perishable items for what looked like a fairly small town. I actually want to go again - also will visit a Stew Leonard's and sample more New Haven pizza.
i've never been to a stew leonard's , but have heard a lot about them- 30 yrs ago i worked for a chain supermarket and they showed up a highlight film on stew leonards

they were even mentioned in the tv show ...sopranos..

Old 05-14-2014, 04:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
Winco and Trader Joes. Winco is half the price of Safeway and typically has more selection and deals. Trader Joe's because they have tons of afforable, healthy options without the whole foods price.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,576 times
I don't have this choice, but I wish I did. Fresh meat from the butcher, fresh vegetables from vegetable sellers at the market, spices from the shops that specialize in it, milk and bread delivered fresh as requested. Wheat flour and rice, sugar, salt and other unperishables from shops that specialize in that. Shops specializing in things such as pastries, sweets, yogurt and paneer.

That's what I grew up with in India. It was kind of fun choosing from small shops, and everything was fresh and top quality. We didn't have refrigerators, and that was a minus, but maybe a plus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink