Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Ah man!! -- Anyone getting hungry??

I used to love thier BIG MACS until they changed the sauce and now they arent as good
I'm digging those prices—at least now. I miss when McDonald's was brown and they had multiple "M"s on their cups. Not to mention Ronald McDonald and his "gang".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:37 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
honestly, fast food was a more expensive back then if you adjust for inflation. A dollar in 2014 converts to 16 cents in 1972. That means everything on the dollar menu would be significantly cheaper than a plain old hamburger that sold for 28 cents back in 1972.

The cheapest I remember seeing the original hamburgers was 39 cents back in the early 80's. I remember getting happy meals for under a dollar that came with a real toy, like an actual hot wheels car.
Nice try, but A big Mac 1/4 pounder, filet o fish are not on the dollar menu in 2014, the prices are pretty much on par with 1972 prices ...

Old 05-17-2014, 10:21 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,563 times
I clearly remember eating at Mac Donald's in San Bernardino when I was in high school from '54 to '57. A Big Mack, fries, and a drink for about a buck and change!

Old 05-17-2014, 10:35 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
15 coffee, now a medium is 1.50 the small coffee is on the dollar menu

its funny you mention '72

my grandparents got a new chrysler station wagon that year, with this funky seat that would fold up at the very back, so us kids could look out the back window

and we stopped at a mcdonalds in that year- i remember this, because , our beloved grandparents said the magic words "order whatever you want "

we loaded up on as much as we could stuff ourselves with, on the road-trip we were on
You just brought back some great memories of a cross country road trip looking out the back of my parents station wagon! I was about 7 years old....great times! McDonald's was a "treat" back then....

I understand the reasoning, but nowadays we strap our kids into NASCAR like seats....

Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Great memories! I think the first time I ever ate at a McDonald's, was in 1970. My mother bought me a hamburger, for 23 cents. The Filet-O-Fish was 42 cents...

Old 05-17-2014, 11:01 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,019 times
Wow...what a difference in prices! Enjoyed seeing this. I don't think I ate at a McDonald's until 1971 or 1972. We didn't have one in the little town I grew up in.

There is still nothing like McDonald's fries...although I rarely eat them. I'm just waiting for them to come out with a law that says, "No eating fries while driving."

Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
McDonald's should open some "retro" restaurants and go back to frying their fries in beef tallow, using whatever kind of meat they used back then (although the ground beef I've been getting in the store these days is just not good, not sure why), and frying instead of baking their apple pies. I'd bet they would have more business than you could shake a stick at. Whatever that means. LOL

Then all the vegans and beef protestors and whatnot could just have the "modern" McD's.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:05 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
McDonald's used to make the best French fires in the entire world. Back when they were cooked in beef tallow and served crispy scalding hot.

They stopped using the beef tallow and now their fries are no different than any other fast food fries.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:32 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. The fries cooked in lard tasted so good, you didn't need ketchup.
Now they are cooked in veggie oil (I think some vegetarians were offended) and they aren't as good.
They cooked the fries in beef tallow and then used vegetable oil and beef flavoring until they were sued by vegetarian and Hindu groups. The fries haven't been the same since. The apple pies have also changed from when I was a kid.

I rarely eat at McDonald's these days unless I'm traveling and nothing else is available.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:42 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
My first job was at a McDonalds back in the 70s. It was a lot of fun and we got one free meal a day. I'm surprised to see that the double cheeseburger is not on the menu. I definitely remember them selling them at that time, and they were quite substantial and delicious. The pies were better then, too.....fried whereas now they are baked and dry tasting. We had an older gentleman on our team that used to deliberately put his finger through the pies when picking them up so he could eat them. So funny....we all knew it was no accident but he was never reprimanded. I'm sure now such behavior would get him fired. Different world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink