Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,251,240 times

Advertisements

What is up with these cooking shows.....

"And now, I am going to sprinkle on a little parmesan chesse..." Wild applause.....

And god forbid they add alcohol to a dish- the very mention of wine garners oohs and ahhs with the wild applause.

And let's hear it for fresh garlic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,091,383 times
Default That's Parmesan Toast, Not Garlic Bread

heehee
I am right there with you.

I get the feeling that some chefs have more style or showmanship than actual palate.

I had an interesting situation with one of my sisters-in-law over Thanksgiving.
I try not to be too territorial with my kitchen but that phrase "too many cooks spoil the stew" can really come true sometimes.
We were getting ready to make garlic bread.
"Where is the parmesan?" she asked.
"Why?"
"For the garlic bread."
Turns out that her garlic bread technique is far different from mine.
I cook some fresh garlic in some olive oil and butter, then brush the garlic mixture a sliced loaf (sliced almost, but not all the way down) inside and out, all over the loaf. I wrap it in foil and warm it in the oven.
Sis-in-law slices the loaves length-wise, brushes the tops with the garlic, then, with a flourish, covers them--I mean COVERS them--in grated parmesan.
To me, this is not garlic bread, it's cheese toast.
Some will say "Behold the power of cheese!"
I say "With great power comes great responsibility."

Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 PM

165 posts, read 662,935 times
Jalapeños are good for a rather stupid audience reaction too. Years ago I used to watch Emeril. I learned from it. I liked his style. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed one of his restaurants when I went to N.O. Then he got the studio audience.... I soon found it just about unwatchable because of what you pointed out. The silly audience interaction and reactions take so much away from the food preparation process.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,251,240 times
OOOOOOOHHHHH....jalapenos. clapclapclapclap.........

Yeah, his BAM makes my eyes roll, but again, the audience LOVES it. And when they pan the audience and you see people's expressions- their looks of awe, marvelling over a cooking step as though they are watching a heart take it's first beat after a transplant.

And all that fanfare is so misleading.... when I do it at home, all I get from my audience is: "When's dinner going to be ready?"!!

Old 07-17-2010, 06:10 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,825,118 times
Default Parmesan Thread

As an undying lover of Parmigiano Reggiano, I would appreciate it if you would discuss about it: favorite recipes, favorite dishes, favorite brands, etc.

I know there is a thread about cheese, but as Parmesan is used in a countless number of recipes, and is probably the most popular Italian cheese other than mozzarella worldwide, I thought it would deserve a thread of its own.

Not to mention it is ridiculously tasty.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:26 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,034,106 times
My favorite veg: Zucchini Parmesan. Simply cook sliced zucchini in stewed tomatoes and freshly grated PR. Top with more PR upon serving.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:00 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,258,433 times
I toss parm (and asiago) into scrambled eggs, with a bit of feta. The powdered parm is good to mix with panko to bread pork chops or chicken- shredded parmesan is too chunky to do so.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,861,967 times
I really only like freshly grated parmesan from a wedge of it. I'll even have that on buttered french bread.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:37 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,861,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
What is up with these cooking shows.....

"And now, I am going to sprinkle on a little parmesan chesse..." Wild applause.....

And god forbid they add alcohol to a dish- the very mention of wine garners oohs and ahhs with the wild applause.

And let's hear it for fresh garlic!
Yeah, the audience reacts as though Emeril INVENTED using garlic

Old 07-18-2010, 02:43 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,825,118 times
Well, I don't like Emeril at all...

I don't know why people applaud when cooks - not only him, any cook - use a certain ingredient - a "yummy!!" I can understand, but applauding?!

Did the guy/gal invent the stuff, whatever it is?!
One might create a recipe, but inventing an ingredient is something new to me...

My former post was not about people who applaud Parmesan cheese, wine,garlic, or anything applauded in cooking shows, but about the product itself (Parmesan), how people like it and how good it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink