Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:18 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I love prosciutto and eat it often. But the OP should realize that eating it alone is not really the way it's meant to be served. It's meant to be part of a mixed cheese and meat plate, or wrapped around slightly cooked asparagus, or wrapped around shrimp then fried, or around a bread stick, or as a topping with arugula on a perfectly thin wood fired Italian pizza, or wrapped around melon, or as part of veal saltamboca. . .

And it's supposed to be cut paper thin. Thick prosciutto is an abomination.
You forgot prosciutto and melon--often an appetizer on an Italian menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Uh, I bought "some" because I wanted others that have never had it to try it too. And, I certainly will leave it for those who can "appreciate" it. lol

Also, I don't worry about what other people buy. If you think it's pointless then you, like I, are entitled to our opinions.

My post was a reaction to something I never had tried in my life. You're right though....an explanation from you would go in one ear and out the other. My not liking it is as valid as someone gushing over it. One just not as flowery as the other. It's a forum...

I have appreciated some of the suggestions and ideas from others. Perhaps I'll cook the rest up and see how that goes...mixing it with some of the ideas here. Lastly, I considered it a "snobby" thing based on the price.
No, it's just used/eaten in small quantities. Another way you'll see it is in a pasta dish. Say, something like fettucine with mushrooms and peas and a cream sauce, and there will be thin strips of prosciutto in there. It adds flavor.

A favorite dish of mine is veal saltimbocca, which is veal (you can also make this with chicken) layered with prosciutto and cheese on top of a bed of spinach.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
exactly, I have memories of my grandfather slicing prosciutto and us grandkids hovering like it was santa claus, lol. Definitely not snobs.

Prosciutto and lamb. two reasons I could never be a vegetarian.

I agree and Gyros when one can find a good one.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Tony Soprano ate it. He called it prazhoot. He also ate cappicola. He called it cabbagool. Now while I enjoy cabbagool, you can have my share of the prazhoot.
Well he did a good job of acting/talking the way some speak of such meats!

Like it wrapped in good mozzarel (lol) with EVOO, S/P and basil. Baked for a short time and enjoy.

It's on sale where i shop many times and that's when i buy, can't afford to pay top dollar for the good stuff.

But a treat for sure..

Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,943,229 times
I was raised eating prosciutto. My non-Italian friends refer to it as "D**o Ham".

Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I've known it all my life as my grandparents were poor Italian immigrants (most definitely not snobs).
Same here. Gram used it sparingly, but she used it often.

As for the premise that liking prosciutto is snobby, that makes me think of polenta, which about 10 years ago morphed into a dish served in fancy restaurants. I was thinking: Grandma made polenta only when money was short for the week or when there were huge crowds to feed.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I love prosciutto and eat it often. But the OP should realize that eating it alone is not really the way it's meant to be served. It's meant to be part of a mixed cheese and meat plate, or wrapped around slightly cooked asparagus, or wrapped around shrimp then fried, or around a bread stick, or as a topping with arugula on a perfectly thin wood fired Italian pizza, or wrapped around melon, or as part of veal saltamboca. . .

I have to admit that I was hesitant to order a prosciutto wood fired pizza last week. It was excellent. The small amount of ham gave a great taste to the pizza.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Prosciutto can give a nice savory balance to a very sweet/rich dessert. The salty of the prosciutto mixes with the sweet and makes the dish even more delicious.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,876 times
Yuck, that stuff smells like ****!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:02 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,311 times
I think you're just like a lot of Americans and are too used to the highly processed cold cut meat crap that passes off as 'ham', 'turkey', or 'beef'. Dop proscuitto is basically just salt and pork, that's it. Spainards are world renowned for making jamon, which is cured ham similar to proscuitto, but even better in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink