Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
And they're are both ham.

The taste is similar to me. I know they are different, though.
I love both. Country hams, if cured and cooked properly are so delicious to me. We had one for Christmas a couple of years ago. Everybody loved it.

eta: the darn thing cost over $100 but it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 06:44 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
I too love thin slices of prosciutto wrapped skewered around cantaloupe served ice cold- the perfect summertime treat.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Or mix it up some more and go German with Black Forest (juniper cure & fir smoke) or Westphalian (beech & juniper smoke).
Ah, but those are smoked meats. Prosciutto is dry cured. Totally different process and flavor.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Ok, so I'm at the deli at HEB today and saw a hunk of meat called "prosciutto". It's on sale mind you for twenty something a pound. Jokingly in my mind I'm thinkin..."wow, what a deal!" The gal before me was getting samples of it and she kept exclaiming how good it was. I think she ate 10 bucks worth before it was my turn.

I asked a couple of other gals waiting in line if they knew what kind of meat it was. No one seemed to know. That made me feel better. So I tried a sample as I've never had it before...and I'm old. End result...what is the big deal? It's really, really chewy...I thought I'd choke before I masticated enough. I kept wanting to gag. I bought a few slices for the crew at home to see their reaction, (probably about two dollars worth...sliced see-through thin). It did kinda taste like cheese though...chewy cheese, that is.

I did ask the meat guy what it is and he said it's pork. I'm still not sure which part of the animal it is so I better google that. The label says Italy so I guess the pigs there must be awfully well taken care of at twenty something a pound. The best part of the whole deal is in the asking..."ah, excuse me...may I have a few slices of the prosciutto?" It's an opportunity to act like a snob. However, the experience isn't worth twenty something a pound...on sale.

Please tell me what is so special about it?
well $20 a lb is a bit on the high side: we get it for $12 to $15 lb and a Lb would last for a heck of a long time. It is not like sitting down to a meal of ham and beans, it is used very sparingly, more as a appetizer than anything. I do buy it once in a while, love it but not too much at once.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,683 times
We think of it more as a seasoning I guess. Properly made it is intensely flavored and delicious, with the thinnest of those expensive slices adding great stuff to whatever it's with. Add it to manicotti filling, wrapped around stuff that needs a flavorful hit, slim strips as they are or crisped in just about anything that could use a salty flavorful contrast.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
On a daily basis, I do not eat pork. Ever!

However, I visited Spain a few years ago, and there was no shortage of prosciutto at any restaurant I went to. That is some of the best tasting meat I've ever had..

When I came back to the States, I was never able to find anything like what I had in Spain..

I'm a prosciutto fan for life now, but b/c it's so salty and so rich (which is part of what makes it very delicious), I normally never buy it unless I'm making a special dish, or see something interesting on a restaurant's menu.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:27 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
One of my favorite, favorite things as an antipasta is proscuitto wrapped around a very ripe slice of honey dew or cantelope melon.......ahhhhhh. I had it the first time in Rome and a local Italian restuarant here in town has it on their menu. I go there often, just for that. The sweet, salty favor is divine.
Wash that down with an aged sherry and you've got something.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:14 PM

800 posts, read 1,296,435 times
if prosciutto was as cheap as ham or turkey i would never buy anything else. that said, i still buy proscuitto about once a week for my home. cheese, olives, some good bread and proscuitto is a day in heaven for me. also, $20/lb seems to be the cheap end of the spectrum.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
if prosciutto was as cheap as ham or turkey i would never buy anything else. that said, i still buy proscuitto about once a week for my home. cheese, olives, some good bread and proscuitto is a day in heaven for me. also, $20/lb seems to be the cheap end of the spectrum.

I pay between $8-12/ lb for Daniella brand at the local Italian markets.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
20 bucks a pound for something you're just going to cr@p out, LOL, I'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink