Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:56 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,158,596 times

Advertisements

I always wondered how New Coke from the 80's tasted, I'm too young to remember it but I was wondering how people remember it who drank it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
It tasted like Pepsi, which I can stand but don't particularly like.

I was so happy when they changed it back. I think it was just an attention ploy.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:31 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I think it was just an attention ploy.
I'm going with the conspiracy theory that allowed Coke to switch from sugar to high fructose corn syrup without anyone noticing.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm going with the conspiracy theory that allowed Coke to switch from sugar to high fructose corn syrup without anyone noticing.
Could be, could be. All I know is, New Coke was Nasty Coke. It was way too sweet, like Pepsi.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:47 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,003 times
I too thought it was too sweet. It also seem to have a weaker taste to me, like it wasn't as carbonated. Classic coca-cola has more of a bite.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:51 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
I always wondered how New Coke from the 80's tasted, I'm too young to remember it but I was wondering how people remember it who drank it.
Like the others said...it tasted like Pepsi...which I dislike.

What a horrible experiment...though the story of how it came about, and the shockingly bad decision making that was behind it, makes for interesting reading if your interested in that sort of thing.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
As someone whose first word was Coke, I was a very loyal Coca Cola customer. Until I tried New Coke, which tasted like Pepsi, which I don't care for at all. In addition to that, they insulted our intelligence by first telling us we'd like it better than the Coca Cola we'd been drinking happily forever, and then when that was not the case they told us we wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and THEN when it became clear that it was such a fiasco that it would (as it is) be taught in marketing/advertising college courses as one of, if not the, worst ideas ever in marketing, they claimed to give us back the original, except that anyone who had been drinking Coca Cola for any length of time could tell at first sip to check the list of ingredients because it was NOT the same (corn syrup is not sugar, never has been, never will be). So I moved to Dr Pepper (didn't like the very clear attitude that Coca Cola had of the intelligence of its customers) and never looked back.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:53 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As someone whose first word was Coke, I was a very loyal Coca Cola customer. Until I tried New Coke, which tasted like Pepsi, which I don't care for at all. In addition to that, they insulted our intelligence by first telling us we'd like it better than the Coca Cola we'd been drinking happily forever, and then when that was not the case they told us we wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and THEN when it became clear that it was such a fiasco that it would (as it is) be taught in marketing/advertising college courses as one of, if not the, worst ideas ever in marketing, they claimed to give us back the original, except that anyone who had been drinking Coca Cola for any length of time could tell at first sip to check the list of ingredients because it was NOT the same (corn syrup is not sugar, never has been, never will be). So I moved to Dr Pepper (didn't like the very clear attitude that Coca Cola had of the intelligence of its customers) and never looked back.
I don't drink many sugary drinks anymore (and I *hate* soda with HFCS in it), so we get Mexican Coke. It's still made with cane sugar.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:04 PM

670 posts, read 1,043,639 times
Yes, I remember New Coke. Classic Coca Cola is my only vice in life, so I hated the change. They advertised New Coke as "being smoother"...and it did taste like Pepsi. I like that zing you get from Classic Coke. It wasn't there in New Coke. It sure didn't last long.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I don't drink many sugary drinks anymore (and I *hate* soda with HFCS in it), so we get Mexican Coke. It's still made with cane sugar.
I now drink Dr B, made with cane sugar, after the whole Dublin Dr Pepper fiasco (I now try to avoid Snapple products whenever possible as a result of that). HEB has an entire line of cane sugar drinks. Mexican Coke is available just down the road from us, though, if I'm feeling particularly nostalgic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink