Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 PM

726 posts, read 1,365,976 times

Advertisements

For me, it's shiitakes! I could eat them several times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:51 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Portabella but I like all varieties of mushrooms. I could eat saute'd mushrooms all by themselves.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 PM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Truffles ... lol

Nah... when I was living overseas I used to hunt for mushrooms, usually late Summer, early Fall. Wonderful, relaxing activity!
Now, I am getting mushrooms from the store and the selection is very poor here. Actually most of the times there are only champignons and portobello ( "old and mature" champignons )
I don't care for champignons, they are tasteless IMO. But I will buy Portobello.
I love wild mushrooms, and when I have a chance I buy chanterelles, morels, and oyster mushrooms. (pretty rare in our stores)
My favorite are porchino, butter mushroom, bay bolete, hedgehog, and red pine mushroom. I buy them dry in my homeland
I like Asian mushrooms like Shi-taki, enoki, mu err, and wood ear mushrooms for the different texture.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Porcini - nothing like fresh porcini, and I love fresh morels.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Morels are my favorite.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
I never met a Mushroom I didn't like. When I was a kid used to find the bolete and Puff balls in the woods. Only ones I knew for certain were safe to eat and easy to identify. I later found out that to some people the Boletes are slightly toxic and cause stomach cramps in some people.

Later I became a bit of a Mushroom fanatic. still am. My favorite will be whatever I find in the stores.

I have been getting numerous dehydrated types in the Asian Market in Fargo. When soaked water they are quite good especially the "White Fungus" It is similar to what we used to call "Wood ears"

Old 05-26-2014, 09:57 PM

726 posts, read 1,365,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I never met a Mushroom I didn't like. When I was a kid used to find the bolete and Puff balls in the woods. Only ones I knew for certain were safe to eat and easy to identify. I later found out that to some people the Boletes are slightly toxic and cause stomach cramps in some people.

Later I became a bit of a Mushroom fanatic. still am. My favorite will be whatever I find in the stores.

I have been getting numerous dehydrated types in the Asian Market in Fargo. When soaked water they are quite good especially the "White Fungus" It is similar to what we used to call "Wood ears"
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been thinking about keeping some dried mushrooms on hand for when I can't get fresh. How is the texture after they are reconstituted? I usually end up sauteing/stir frying or making a quick soup so I was thinking the texture might be okay for this type of cooking.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been thinking about keeping some dried mushrooms on hand for when I can't get fresh. How is the texture after they are reconstituted? I usually end up sauteing/stir frying or making a quick soup so I was thinking the texture might be okay for this type of cooking.
With the Shiitakes and wood oysters I can not twll the reconstituted from the fresh in terms of Texture. However, I cooked with them after soaking.

The "White Fungus" I have cut ou in salads uncooked and the texture is slightly more chewy than the fresh. But when cooked I can't tell the difference from fresh.

I have found they need to be soaked about twice as long as the directions call for

Old 05-27-2014, 12:05 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Shiitakes are in a class on their own - texture and flavor. My favorite. But I've also learned to love them only started eating them after I got pregnant with my son. I loathed them up until then. Glad I overcame the aversion because of their healthful properties. Wood ears are excellent too - cant imagine hot and sour soup without them. Champignons are the most boring and bland - I rarely get those.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,042 times
Cubensis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink