Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 08:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

OK, so I have a 4-cup Mr. Coffee coffee maker that I bought 7 years ago. I use it infrequently, maybe a few times a month. I clean the carafe regularly but the basket thingy had crud on it so I soaked it for a good long time and used a toothbrush, baking soda, and vinegar to try to blast the crud off. I got most but not all of it off. I also used the toothbrush to clean all the spots I could reach on the machine.

Then, I put straight vinegar through it for one cycle and let it sit there, hot, for a while. Then I ran water through it twice, poured the water out, and left the machine to air out and dry on the counter overnight.

Tonight I made a pot and it still has this odd taste to it, almost...sweet, but not sweet. It's hard to describe. I don't get that aftertaste with coffee made in other machines. The last couple of times I've made coffee in this machine, I've also felt a bit nauseated afterwards. That kind of worries me; I don't want to make myself sick because of some weird microbe growing in my coffee maker. GROSS.

So...I guess whatever's wrong with my machine is not being solved by cleaning it. Am I cleaning it wrong, or is it too crudded up to save? It cost me $15 in 2007, so buying a new one wouldn't exactly break the bank. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Clean it again and run at least 3 or 4 cycles of clear water but do not leave it sit on warm.
The basket can soak in all hot soapy water for a while then rinsed really well and all the rest of the crud should come off.
If your water nozzle is a screw on type take it off and soak it in the hot soapy water as well then rinse throughly.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Clean it again and run at least 3 or 4 cycles of clear water but do not leave it sit on warm.
The basket can soak in all hot soapy water for a while then rinsed really well and all the rest of the crud should come off.
If your water nozzle is a screw on type take it off and soak it in the hot soapy water as well then rinse throughly.
See...I already tried soaking the basket in hot soapy water, and the crud won't come off. It's like concrete at this point.

I think I'm just going to buy a new one; they're still less than $20.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I had an issue where my coffee tasted bad, then after some reading people said the tap water when heated or something can make some bad taste in the coffee. Since switching to filtered water, I never encountered the problem.

But at 7 years old, maybe you have a different problem.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I had an issue where my coffee tasted bad, then after some reading people said the tap water when heated or something can make some bad taste in the coffee. Since switching to filtered water, I never encountered the problem.

But at 7 years old, maybe you have a different problem.
I use filtered water in mine, so it's not that.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think I'm just going to buy a new one; they're still less than $20.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Thanks to those who responded; I don't think I'll ever really know what's wrong with the machine, I was just curious about it because I was worried that there might be something growing in there that might make me sick. But it's a moot point as I'm going to replace the coffee maker. I just wish I didn't have to trash this one; it seems like such a waste. It works perfectly fine otherwise.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 AM

140 posts, read 126,826 times
I know it sounds odd but my small coffee maker tastes like it burns the water. Even filtered water when it comes into contact with the hot element reacts. I think.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,917 times
You might want to try using vinegar water, may half and half, through it once or twice. Vinegar removes smells and naturally kills bacteria and fungus. The vinegar smell DOES go away by the way

Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I'm wondering if you have hard water and that it has calcified in your basket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink