Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,352,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I don't care, I'm drinking it anyhow, in moderation of course. And there's no substitute, gotta have the real Coca Cola.
Totally agree with you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:00 PM

4,533 posts, read 5,340,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NOPE, don't drink soda or any other caloric beverage. I'll leave that to the Fatcartpeople....see them suckers buying cases of that cr@p.
^ This.

I don't drink it. Wont drink. Never let my kid near it.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,441,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Spare yourself all the effort of a science experiment.

Pour a glass of coke, pepsi, or any other cola drink.

leave it on the counter overnight.

take a good gulp the next morning.

You will NEVER drink the stuff ever again. Without the bubbles, and whatever happens to it chemically once the fizz goes out, leaves you with a disguising glass of literally putrid liquid.

Coming from a LONG time Pepsi drinker.....like MANY Years; and I haven't touched the stiff in at least two years.
Isn't that called diet pop that is flat? I did drink it all the time till I got GERD.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,371,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Sugar does not have that consistency when burned. What he is showing you is not real coca cola. He's showing you supermarket coca cola (or a knockoff) that uses corn syrup. That's why it has a tar-like consistency. Sugar will burn and harden very quickly at those temperatures.
Thanks for speaking up... The food police will never stop looking for the Next Food Panic... These people are convinced that everyone is trying to poison everyone. They are so unhappy and want everyone else miserable too apparently.

I am almost 6'2" tall, I weigh 175 lbs., and I drink a 2 liter bottle a day usually.

Sugar is *NOT* the bugaboo they make it out for normal people (IE people who eat it in normal amounts instead of supersized everything). Sugar is in MANY natural foods, including fruits and vegetables. For Diabetics it's different. They need to cut back. The reason for the epidemic of diabetes is the lack of activity in people. Sedentary lifestyles are the culprit. Kids won't play anymore, all they want is to play video games and sit on a computer. Kids should run, jump, ride bikes, and go swimming. People too lazy to cook for their kids and going out to McDonald's every day don't help either. And when they DO cook, it's usually trash like frozen meals, microwave food, junk food, etc... When you raise your kids to be lazy, to eat badly, and get fat that's what you get-obesity, diabetes, and bad health.

Humanity has used sugar for thousands of years... It's not harmful to you... Nature produced it and it's in virtually everything... The blame is on themselves... Get offa that couch and these problems will mostly solve themselves...

Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,146,361 times
I wouldn't be that flippant. Medical research pretty much proves that the overuse of sugar (namely, the disaccharide called sucrose and derivatives like HFCS) and simple carbs in our diets has several negative side effects. Mainly, it can cause insulin resistance, triglyceride spikes, and fatty liver even if you are active and at a favorable weight. This does not mean, however, that it needs to be completely avoided. Like everything, moderation is key.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:57 PM

30,584 posts, read 21,757,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Newsflash.
REAL Coca Cola uses corn syrup, too.
Not if it is bottled in Mexico. They still use the real thing 'Sugar'..Yum

Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,341,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You would get he same result with maple syrup, apple juice, orange juice, and nearly any other organic material.

When someone is incapable of making an argument, they make a video like this.

What's next, incinerate meat to ashes and post, "would you eat this?"

This.

The thing is, people that make videos like this (or like the McDonald's "slime" video) do not care to present the bigger picture. Coca-cola, on its own, is not the problem. High-fructose corn syrup, on its own, is not even the problem.

People's willpower, impulse eating, and overeating is the problem.

Blame food, blame corporations, blame Weight Watchers, blame Dr. Atkins, blame low-fat, blame fat-free.

Blame everyone but who you see in the mirror.

Nothing makes me sadder than walking through the grocery store and seeing fat kids with their fat parents. Genetics? Yes, you can't really help genetics when you're eating 24/7 and feeding the cycle of diabetes. Genes are going to do what they're made to do in circumstances of high blood sugar and high cholesterol.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:10 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,258,316 times
Ignorance is definitely bliss

Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,040,688 times
All things in moderation has served us well. I think it was the 'eggs are bad' thing that did it for our family. ['course they're good again now]. My grandmother never bought the "oleomargarine' is better than butter thing either & so many more. All things in moderation & the closer to the way it comes from the plant or animal the better. I know what's in Coke & the coca-cola syrup we got for upset stomachs. Don't drink it every day or even every month for that matter, but I'll continue to drink it when that icy cold fizzy stuff calls, even with a shot of rum, and I've seen [& smelled] what that is too - not much different from that boiled up coke.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:24 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,448,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Newsflash.
REAL Coca Cola uses corn syrup, too.
IIRC, the US is the only place that does this. Rest of the world uses real sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
LOL Everything in moderation. There's nothing better then a sip or two of ice cold soda when you're hot and sweaty or after a hangover from too much red wine that's supposed to be really good for you. Just not a months worth in a couple of hours.
From a consumer perspective, moderation is great. From a corporate perspective, that's a conflict of interest. The more consumable products like drinks that Coca Cola sells, the better off it is. If we all followed the safe guidelines for consuming sugary drinks (what was it... no more than 20 to 60g of sugar per day?), Coca Cola would be hurtin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink