Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 AM

70 posts, read 96,186 times

Advertisements

Clearly this post was created by someone who is well off. That's not i bad thing. Maybe I will join the club one day soon. "How to cut a cake?" Really #RichPeopleProblems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I would be exceptionally crabby if a cake went moldy overnight. Something seems very wrong there. You are saying you make a cake one morning, don't eat the whole cake that day, cover it appropriately and by the next morning it is moldy? Wow.
Yes, NK, but I just realized that during those times, I didn't have a/c, so perhaps that was the real issue? Perhaps, it's akin to keeping a cake on a radiator. I've even had fresh baked bread mold overnight, which is a real bummer, because of all the time which goes into it... again, that's in the south, in a sunny flat, sans a/c. Hard, green bananas ripened overnight to the point that fruit flies were aplenty & they were completely spotted brown. Never could keep them longer than 1-day. I suppose a/c is a bit like a milder form of refrigeration.

Not frosting, then freezing sounds like a good idea. I heard that's what wedding cake bakers do. I suppose a slight pop in the microwave would make it a bit moister & nicely warm when defrosted. Thanks for your response.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Oh Good heavens....I would turn moldy myself without A/C!!!!
It crossed my mind you might not have A/C but i can't imagine any body living in Atlanta without A/C. i can only imagine how miserable it was with a hot oven too.
You're a stronger woman than I am. That's for sure!

Also I never put anything bread- like in the microwave. It does something funky to the texture. Just letting bread or cake defrost on the counter has always worked just fine for me. I just made some banana nut bread last night and we had some for breakfast. I like to toast it and butter it to serve. DH decided he would zap his in the microwave and it was an entirely different taste and texture.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I'm curious, if you freeze cake, do you freeze it in 1 piece or cut it into pieces? How do you thaw it & serve it?
Wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap or press and seal wrap. Then wrap it in foil. To thaw, remove the foil and let the cake sit on the countertop for an hour or two.

Sometimes I freeze a cake as part of the steps of decorating it. If I'm making mini cakes, I will freeze a sheet cake with icing on the top, then cut it into the shapes I need and keep them in the freezer. I take out a couple at a time and I cover them with fondant. The fondant gets very shiny as the cake thaws but when the moisture evaporates, the fondant is back to its matte finish. Freezing a cake tightens the crumb and also makes the cake more moist.
Attached Thumbnails
How to cut a cake.-06-06-08_1259.jpg  

Old 06-20-2014, 12:55 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
That is so delightful, NK, and I will be sure to cut all of my cakes that way for the rest of my life!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:24 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IspeakFact View Post
Clearly this post was created by someone who is well off. That's not i bad thing. Maybe I will join the club one day soon. "How to cut a cake?" Really #RichPeopleProblems
Only rich people eat cake? Ridiculous...a homemade cake is very cheap and a boxed cake is even cheaper.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A layer cake? I want to see this!
I have made layer cakes before and yes they are rectangle. Most places that you order a sheet cake you can get layer cakes as well. The last one I had was a white 2 layer cake with strawberries and cream in between the layers and strawberries and whipped cream on top.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 PM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
Fascinating what things people can think up! It makes sense to me as long as it is cut in a sanitary method and the pieces are pushed back together with gloves on. Personally, I don't eat much bakery cake as I cannot tolerate that sickening sweet frosting. I always let other people have the roses on top.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Fascinating what things people can think up! It makes sense to me as long as it is cut in a sanitary method and the pieces are pushed back together with gloves on. Personally, I don't eat much bakery cake as I cannot tolerate that sickening sweet frosting. I always let other people have the roses on top.

I love the roses, but only from a real bakery, not a grocery store.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:59 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Oh Good heavens....I would turn moldy myself without A/C!!!! It crossed my mind you might not have A/C but i can't imagine any body living in Atlanta without A/C. i can only imagine how miserable it was with a hot oven too. You're a stronger woman than I am. That's for sure!
Haha. Yes, it's not for the less than hearty. I chalk it up to youth & a barely there paycheck... I was a starving hairdresser in those days, so simply couldn't afford a/c. Didn't have any in my car either... the GA natives at work couldn't understand how I managed. Simple. No $, no choice.

Quote:
Also I never put anything bread- like in the microwave. It does something funky to the texture. Just letting bread or cake defrost on the counter has always worked just fine for me. I just made some banana nut bread last night and we had some for breakfast. I like to toast it and butter it to serve. DH decided he would zap his in the microwave and it was an entirely different taste and texture.
Yeah, I don't recommend a microwave for much, but have never owned one of those newfangled contraptions the kids all have... I'm like an old prairie woman... everything from scratch & very, very little ever gets frozen. I find the taste/texture is off on anything I've ever had frozen/microwaved.

The only thing I ever liked in a microwave is slicing up a Snickers bar & placing it in a bowl with vanilla ice cream, then nuking for 30-seconds. I rarely eat sugar, but I recall having that a few times & it was very satisfying on a 100-degree day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink