Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
boy if that is not a direct insult I never read one!!!!! BTW, I think we are beating a dead horse. Like Berretta has said, we are getting off topic altogether. The subject, if I remember right was: Wholefoods over charge and many of us feel the same, but I think I will just bow out now.
The article in the OP was about a claim against Wholefoods in CA for overcharging on weighted purchases due to inaccurate taring of container weight; giving less than the weight stated on the label for items sold by the pound; and selling items such as kebabs by the piece, instead of by the pound. This occurred 2% of the time.

It wasn't about Wholefoods, in general, being overpriced. It's just where the ensuing conversation turned.

I still believe that you'll find this happens everywhere products are sold the same way. 2% isn't insignificant on a large scale, but it also doesn't seem like a vast conspiracy to deliberately rip off customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:34 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
If you pay attention I bet you will find the same people who shop at Whole Foods are the ones who turn their noses down at those who, for whatever reason shop at WalMart. Whether you realize it or not, it works both ways. I am in the middle, but there is nothing that bugs me more than those who think they are above WalMart putting WalMart shoppers and WalMart down. Don't you agree, it works both ways?
This is the crux of the problem here. The poster who mentioned "shaming" hit the nail on the head, and yes it does work both ways. Would anyone believe I shop at both?! Unheard of! Actually, now that I no longer live near a Super Walmart I buy very few groceries from Walmart, but if there was one nearby that amount would go back up. Wherever I live, there are usually about 4 different groceries I shop at from time to time because of their different selection, and in some cases because of pricing. It's really sad that some take such glee in putting down people who shop somewhere they don't, wherever that might be.
Just saw the mod's post, sorry for the OT.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Ya know? I don't give a care how anyone spends their money. I personally buy high priced dog food. If you want to feed your dogs cheapo stuff, that's not a thought in my head. Supply and demand. It's what makes capitalism work.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is trying to tell anyone else where they should or should not shop, people are pointing out the added cost to shop at some of the, so called, up scale, organic stores.
Sure, nobody is "telling" anyone WHERE to shop, but there are plenty of people bItching about where other people do choose to shop.

Do you really think people who shop at Whole Foods are so stupid they don't know that some of their items might be cheaper somewhere else? You think you are the first person to discover that? You are the Benjamin Franklin of organic chicken?

Of course SOME items are cheaper/more expensive at some stores.

Who cares?

If someone CHOOSES to shop at WF, cool. If someone CHOOSES to shop at Walmart, cool. Aldi, cool. Kroger, cool.

Do we really need 11 pages of people like you telling someone they spent $1 too much on eggs?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 2,959,937 times
At their prices, since when is this news? lol

Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Quote:
Do we really need 11 pages of people like you telling someone they spent $1 too much on eggs?
Of course not. But it seems lately like most of the threads devolve into posters getting all judge-y about what other posters buy, and where they buy it. So this is just another variation on the theme.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
The article in the OP was about a claim against Wholefoods in CA for overcharging on weighted purchases due to inaccurate taring of container weight; giving less than the weight stated on the label for items sold by the pound; and selling items such as kebabs by the piece, instead of by the pound. This occurred 2% of the time.

It wasn't about Wholefoods, in general, being overpriced. It's just where the ensuing conversation turned.

I still believe that you'll find this happens everywhere products are sold the same way. 2% isn't insignificant on a large scale, but it also doesn't seem like a vast conspiracy to deliberately rip off customers.
Amazing how many people did not read the actual article. If they did, the conversation would have steered in a different diection, but whats telling is that a lot of people have a chip on their shoulder regarding WF and had no problem voicing their displeasure.

Its still bad on their part. I got to whole foods for their hot/cold bars and wondered now if i got overcharged.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:21 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
boy if that is not a direct insult I never read one!!!!! BTW, I think we are beating a dead horse. Like Berretta has said, we are getting off topic altogether. The subject, if I remember right was: Wholefoods over charge and many of us feel the same, but I think I will just bow out now.
You remembered the subject, but do you care to comment on the actual article itself before you bow out? You did read the article, right?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
I don't see how it's an insult. Everyone has a different threshold. There's no judgement in that. What I consider dirty, others may not. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sorry you felt insulted, but that was not the intention.

Back on subject, I ate at the WF hot bar tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not concerned about whether or not I was charged for the weight of the container. It's not going to make that much of a difference.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Here's how I avoid the problem. I take my own containers and have them assigned a tare weight at customer service before I fill them. I know the weights are accurate, because I weighed them myself before I began using them to shop. This problem is not unique to Whole Foods, as others have pointed out, so it pays to be attentive at checkout no matter where you shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink