Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Good grief.

It's a grocery store.

Who cares where OTHER people CHOOSE to shop and how much they CHOOSE to pay? Are they asking to borrow money from you to support their Whole Foods addiction?

A lot of people have this "my way is the only way" mentality and it seems to be getting worse. Anyone who does something different, even if those people aren't bothering anyone, deserve to be ridiculed and berated for their choices.

If people want to shop at Whole Foods, cool. If people want to shop at Aldi, cool. Just do your own thing and let everyone else do theirs.
I don't think anyone is trying to tell anyone else where they should or should not shop, people are pointing out the added cost to shop at some of the, so called, up scale, organic stores. Most of us realize the extra cost, but all some are doing is venting. I understand that and pointing out the difference.

someone just mentioned they have priced organic produce at WF and the standard grocery store and the price is the same: I would doubt that: I just did this yesterday, only it was at Fresh Market, which is no more expensive than WFs, probably cheaper: organic green beans: FM $3.99lb: local grocery store: organic: $2.99 lb. The same with romaine: $2.59 grocery store, $3.49 F. Market. There are other foods that were about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 AM

4,168 posts, read 3,358,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Whole Foods threads are like the threads over on Education about how college degrees are useless pieces of paper, or the Wedding board where people boast about spend a total of $17 on the big day. For all the claims about what a bunch of snobs WF shoppers are, you only hear the put-downs go the other way.
Oh...we spent $100.

Now I feel bad.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,228,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think anyone is trying to tell anyone else where they should or should not shop, people are pointing out the added cost to shop at some of the, so called, up scale, organic stores. Most of us realize the extra cost, but all some are doing is venting. I understand that and pointing out the difference.
Yes, there's some venting, but don't you see the shaming that's going on in this thread and others like it? Ridiculing anyone who shops at WF? Why does it matter to them so much?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,371,767 times
Quote:

someone just mentioned they have priced organic produce at WF and the standard grocery store and the price is the same: I would doubt that: I just did this yesterday, only it was at Fresh Market, which is no more expensive than WFs, probably cheaper: organic green beans: FM $3.99lb: local grocery store: organic: $2.99 lb. The same with romaine: $2.59 grocery store, $3.49 F. Market. There are other foods that were about the same.
As a Wholefoods shopper, I still buy a lot of organic produce from BJs. According to a lot of posters here though, I'm clueless and out of touch with reality.

ETA: a single day's comparison doesn't really paint an accurate picture. Like grocery shopping and price comparing you have to do it week to week and season to season depending on sales and what not. I've found the same thing with WF coming out cheaper with certain things at specific times, but the onus is on me to make comparisons before I shop.

As I said above, I am a WF shopper but still shop at other stores, BJs being one of them. I have yet to see WF best their prices on organic salad greens, or organic apples outside of the Fall season. I went searching for organic grapes at WF a couple weeks ago and they only had conventional, so off to BJs where they had what I needed.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,679,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
As a Wholefoods shopper, I still buy a lot of organic produce from BJs. According to a lot of posters here though, I'm clueless and out of touch with reality.

ETA: a single day's comparison doesn't really paint an accurate picture. Like grocery shopping and price comparing you have to do it week to week and season to season depending on sales and what not. I've found the same thing with WF coming out cheaper with certain things at specific times, but the onus is on me to make comparisons before I shop.

As I said above, I am a WF shopper but still shop at other stores, BJs being one of them. I have yet to see WF best their prices on organic salad greens, or organic apples outside of the Fall season. I went searching for organic grapes at WF a couple weeks ago and they only had conventional, so off to BJs where they had what I needed.
I currently shop 3 different stores, each store has their deals.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,259,385 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is trying to tell anyone else where they should or should not shop, people are pointing out the added cost to shop at some of the, so called, up scale, organic stores. Most of us realize the extra cost, but all some are doing is venting.
But why the need to vent about it if there are other stores available? Whole Foods is not the only game in town. This entire thread reads as class envy, and you're going to have a hard time convincing me that it's anything but that.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I currently shop 3 different stores, each store has their deals.
I think this is the secret to good shopping: we do the same: first of all we check prices and quality. Yesterday our local store which is independent and has a lot of local produce during the season had mushrooms cheaper than Aldi's. Once in a blue moon fresh market will actually have something less expensive or on par with super markets, while sometimes we buy in bulk at Sam's. To me, good shopping means knowing what to buy where.

I am not putting down anyone who wants to depend on Whole Foods for instance. I just have a hard time understanding why..

I feel the same about people, and those who shop at places like Whole Foods are usually the ones, putting down WalMart. I rarely walk into a WalMart but I certainly think it is tacky when people put WalMart shoppers down. Each store has a place. What is right for one isn't for another.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
But why the need to vent about it if there are other stores available? Whole Foods is not the only game in town. This whole thread reads as class envy, and you're going to have a hard time convincing me that it's anything but that.
If you pay attention I bet you will find the same people who shop at Whole Foods are the ones who turn their noses down at those who, for whatever reason shop at WalMart. Whether you realize it or not, it works both ways. I am in the middle, but there is nothing that bugs me more than those who think they are above WalMart putting WalMart shoppers and WalMart down. Don't you agree, it works both ways?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,680,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I find over and under priced food all the time everywhere I shop.

Every single one of you every where you shop has been over and undercharged without your knowledge.
I hope you're wrong, but I fear you're right. I'm surprised that 'Whole Paycheck Foods' in particular would even bother cheating on pricing -- they are so frankly overpriced anyway.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,259,385 times
Quote:
I think this is the secret to good shopping: we do the same: first of all we check prices and quality. Yesterday our local store which is independent and has a lot of local produce during the season had mushrooms cheaper than Aldi's. Once in a blue moon fresh market will actually have something less expensive or on par with super markets, while sometimes we buy in bulk at Sam's. To me, good shopping means knowing what to buy where.
Time and resource management. My husband and I share a car. I simply cannot run all over town looking for bargains. I concentrate my efforts on buying smart at one grocery store, which for me is WF.

Quote:
I am not putting down anyone who wants to depend on Whole Foods for instance. I just have a hard time understanding why.
1) It's convenient.
2) I like the people who work there and enjoy seeing them every week.
3) They have an enormous bulk foods section.

Quote:
I feel the same about people, and those who shop at places like Whole Foods are usually the ones, putting down WalMart. I rarely walk into a WalMart but I certainly think it is tacky when people put WalMart shoppers down. Each store has a place. What is right for one isn't for another.
I have never put down people who work or shop at Walmart. No reason whatsoever to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink