Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 AM

4,176 posts, read 3,367,930 times

Advertisements

We're having that tonight, lol!

Actually, Allen Brothers has spoiled us for any other dogs, but they're so expensive we only eat them once a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:52 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,599,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Are they in the deli section or sold with other hot dogs?
Yes, you will find them in the deli section. I would buy the Boar's Head in NC, here in Chicago I buy the Dietz & Watson which I don't think were available when I lived in NC. They're more expensive but I rarely eat hot dogs.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,214,194 times
Inspector Callahan knows the score when it comes to hot dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz84GKxy7b0

Old 07-02-2014, 08:15 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,556,535 times
Hot dogs are my "go to" meat when I'm really tired, in a hurry, camping, or dealing with a power outage.
These ideas also work for times where there is no bread or hot dog buns in the house.

For example, I can boil the hot dogs and a canned veggie, like green beans (about 1/2 cup), strain, and then use the water to rehydrate instant mashed potatoes. Cut up the hot dogs, mix with the mashed potatoes and beans, add a little shredded or cubed cheese to it, and it's dinner.

Ramen noodles (leave out the seasoning packet) can be used instead of potatoes for another one pan meal.

I also use hot dogs for a "left over" stir fry meal. Sometimes I have leftover bits of veggies and/or rice. I slice the hot dogs into thin (1/4") pieces and add them to the wok oil for a minute or so, then fry the veggies and rice, add them all back together for 20 seconds and serve. If you have any leftover bits of sausage, mix that in, too.

No, this sort of thing is not good for one's waistline long-term but for an emergency meal at home or in camp, it's filling and cooks up with a minimum of fuel.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,190,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Yes, you will find them in the deli section. I would buy the Boar's Head in NC, here in Chicago I buy the Dietz & Watson which I don't think were available when I lived in NC. They're more expensive but I rarely eat hot dogs.
We don't have either one here but another healthier option is: (and they come in chicken or turkey)
Angus Hot Dogs: Angus Beef Hot Dogs & Angus Dogs - Oscar Mayer

Can't find that green relish for a Chicago dog. By the way (posted what goes on one on page 1 )
there were several little places (years ago) that sometimes would put cucumbers and lettuce on it too.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:32 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,230,884 times
Great ideas here. Here are a few of ways I make mine:

corn, ketchup and pik nik potato strings.

tomato sauce, onions and pik nik.

a pickle spear and mustard

Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,088,231 times
I agree with chili. There is this hotdog joint in the town I grew up and they have the best chili dog hot dogs. Boy do I miss eating them. They were so good. I have been tempted to find out if I get a hotdog without a bun and if the ingredients in the chili is gluten free.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,599,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
We don't have either one here but another healthier option is: (and they come in chicken or turkey)
Angus Hot Dogs: Angus Beef Hot Dogs & Angus Dogs - Oscar Mayer

Can't find that green relish for a Chicago dog. By the way (posted what goes on one on page 1 )
there were several little places (years ago) that sometimes would put cucumbers and lettuce on it too.
I've had a few Chicago dogs since I've lived here. They're very good even though they are extremely messy. I've never seen the bright green relish anywhere except Chicago and it's the only relish that I'll eat.

Do you live in Chicago?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,874,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not a big fan of hotdogs but bowing to the wishes of the rest of the family its going to be hot dogs tonight.
Any one got any creative ideas for toppings other than the usual mustard/ketchup.
And some interesting side dish/s to go with them?

Thanks
The key is to get good quality hot dogs. Try the butcher or Boar's Head or at least Hebrew National.

You can go chicago style and put peppers, chopped onion, pickles, tomatoes...

Old 07-02-2014, 12:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,192,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I even like the hot dog and coke deal at Costco. Really a deal for $1.50 and it is a big hot dog to boot.

Don
I just saw this yesterday after I checked out at Costco. I about kicked myself because we just spent over 30.00 at Ruby Tuesdays on one of the most disgusting meals we ever had.

I told my husband that eating the $1.50 hot dog combo at Costco just 2 times instead of going out for lunch MORE than pays for your entire Costco membership, in savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink