Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 PM

2,278 posts, read 1,420,867 times

Advertisements

All other foods in the grocery are covered, sealed, packaged, in a covered bin, behind a sneeze guard, etc. All except for store baked bread (and produce but produce is expected to be washed). Why is it ok for bread to sometimes lie there exposed for you to pick up with tongs, with no protection from germs? If it is in a bag, often the end is open making vulnerable to someone's sneeze. You always see in movies people returning from the store with a big loaf of bread sticking out of the bag. I've always wondered about this. Is there a logical reason for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 05:31 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,249,507 times
Ugh. I don't like sealed, covered and packaged bread.
It doesn't taste as fresh.
Most of the bread I buy comes hot out of the oven, and can't be sealed.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:33 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,038,107 times
I feel that way about many of the bulk bins.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,257,988 times
I buy nearly all of my food package free. Bulk bins with dispensers minimize the potential for contamination. As for olive bars, salad bars, etc., arrive when the store opens to fill your containers. I've been doing this for years, and I've yet to become ill despite being on aggressive immunosuppressant therapy for autoimmune disease. I understand that it gives some people the heebie-jeebies, but a few simple precautions can lower the risk considerably.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM

22,565 posts, read 24,357,783 times
I actually won't buy stuff out of the bulk bins.....I consider it an obsolete and questionable way to store and sell food in a modern grocery.

I don't know how many times I have seen dolts stick their grubby mitts into food-bins....especially the candy-bins, YUCK.

Bread, yes, I much prefer it to be sealed.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:34 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,227,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I actually won't buy stuff out of the bulk bins.....I consider it an obsolete and questionable way to store and sell food in a modern grocery.

I don't know how many times I have seen dolts stick their grubby mitts into food-bins....especially the candy-bins, YUCK.

Bread, yes, I much prefer it to be sealed.
Most of the foods I get from bulk bins aren't the sort of things that people are going to be sampling ... rice, beans, oats, quinoa, various flours, etc.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,957,501 times
eh, bread like that is not supposed to be all covered up, it is mainly crusty Italian breads and if they are wrapped when warm they get all soggy from the moisture.

The best way to fight any germs is to grow all of your own food items, grind the flour, bake the bread, process everything yourself. That way you know exactly what goes where from start to finish.
Besides there are germs lurking everywhere, even in your own home and inside your body, you can't kill them all.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:10 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,993,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
eh, bread like that is not supposed to be all covered up, it is mainly crusty Italian breads and if they are wrapped when warm they get all soggy from the moisture.

The best way to fight any germs is to grow all of your own food items, grind the flour, bake the bread, process everything yourself. That way you know exactly what goes where from start to finish.
Besides there are germs lurking everywhere, even in your own home and inside your body, you can't kill them all.

I think ive seen the European open-markets, where just about everything is in the open air
and

co-ops
farmers markets,,,,aren't most of these open air markets??

and

the farm-stand...... the promise land of all health and good in the world,,,,aren't these items all sold open air?? and do we really wash all our veggies in hot enough water to kill all the bacteria?
take a good sniff at a farm stand...yep,, the sweet smell of cow manure is everywhere, and all over your veggies too, because its grown in it

and flies,,, flies are everywhere

those hard breads - aren't they artisan breads,,,that need to be hard and dry??
some store do place them in a type of half bag,,,so not to be overly exposed- however, this cuts down on sales, most folks want to see the whole thing

how about open air salad bars?? my god,,,every one that breathes, coughs, sneezes nearby, the germs are settling on the veggies,,,,not to mention the flies again..

10 years ago, I went to a supermarket tradeshow, and at the sanitation systems booth, a guy was giving a demo , how his chemicals clean bacteria,,,he gave us these "bacteria glasses"
he said he paid over 1000 for these glasses, but they identified bacteria by shades of color- so he gave his demo, and I was just so intrigued by these glasses- I asked if I could where them for 5 minutes around the tradeshow,
it was un believable, the bacteria was everywhere, one pretty lady had some very harmful and dense bacteria on her hands, and she was shaking hands with hundreds of people,
she scratched her face, and a patch of bacteria was left under her eye

I went to the produce area- a huge beautiful displays of fresh fruits and veggies-I could see tons of bacteria on fruit , people were just picking up and eating..

I asked him where he got those glasses- he wouldn't say,

Old 07-04-2014, 08:10 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,371,641 times
Everywhere I shop, most store baked bread/baked goods is usually in bins if it's to be individually selected with tongs, otherwise it's left on racks to cool and then put in loose (usually) paper bags to maintain the crust.

Bread gets gross and soggy if you don't let it breathe as it cools from the oven. Fresh baked bread is also usually free of preservatives and meant to be eaten within a day or two of baking, unlike the bread you find packaged up and sitting with a use by date a couple weeks away.

I don't mind taking my chances with a fresh baked loaf of bread (I bake my own) exposed to the open air and any germs floating through it over a loaf with a whole heap of unnecessary ingredients nicely wrapped on a shelf. I know there is bad bacteria out there, but there's a whole lot of not going to do you any harm, and even is good for you bacteria all around us.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 AM

23,886 posts, read 10,260,806 times
None of the recipients of my Friday bread baking frenzies has yet complained or gotten sick when SO wanders the neighborhood with a basket full of warm bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink