Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:46 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Have you tried maple-baked salmon, in a marinade of maple syrup, soy sauce, fresh ginger and garlic?
Oh My God!
Even people who don't particularly like fish, love it.

Sounds delicious! Do you leave it in the marinade to cook? I would try it on the Weber! Now all I need is a decent piece of salmon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:22 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am not talking about "plain" food and I would never ruin a perfectly good meatloaf with a smear of Catsup on top and Thursdays is NOT meatloaf night. Not that it is any of your concern but I do not make specific meals on specific nights and I rarely make a meatloaf anyway.

I am talking about real food, you know homemade pasta, homemade pasta sauce, homemade butter, homemade whipping cream, homemade mayo, homemade Alfredo Sauce. Dessert that does not come out of a box.
Fresh herbs, fresh vegetables, as in nothing processed, packaged, dated, boxed or has to be covered in some sort of breading, condiment or sauce to give it flavor.

I doubt you will ever understand what I mean though so carry on and enjoy you "gourmet" whatever you want to call it.
Nobody said anything about gourmet except one poster who suggested the OP might enjoy "gourmet cooking classes". Especially since the OP getting all excited about MOPPING up the drippings with bread isn't exactly fancy schmantzy!

And "covered in some sort of breading, condiment or sauce to give it flavor" is not what the OP did any more than YOU using "fresh herbs, fresh vegetables" except he used fresh FRUIT.

Why put a damper on the guy potentially finding a new hobby in classes and meeting other people and having some fun?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 AM

126 posts, read 156,428 times
Quote:
I am not talking about "plain" food and I would never ruin a perfectly good meatloaf with a smear of Catsup on top and Thursdays is NOT meatloaf night. Not that it is any of your concern but I do not make specific meals on specific nights and I rarely make a meatloaf anyway.

I am talking about real food, you know homemade pasta, homemade pasta sauce, homemade butter, homemade whipping cream, homemade mayo, homemade Alfredo Sauce. Dessert that does not come out of a box.
Fresh herbs, fresh vegetables, as in nothing processed, packaged, dated, boxed or has to be covered in some sort of breading, condiment or sauce to give it flavor.

I doubt you will ever understand what I mean though so carry on and enjoy you "gourmet" whatever you want to call it.
I understand what you are saying, and I don't really consider what I did like uber gourmet, they were all very simple really, but something a little more special than normal that I did for my family over 2 weekends (one being my mothers birthday). Outside of the soy, everything was fresh. Fresh garlic, fresh ginger, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed lime juice and zest, fresh cilantro.

All the real food you describe I have done except the butter and mayo, I am on a diet so I am really am trying to avoid the things you listed. I make a mean alfredo and my whipped cream usually has a hint of vanilla in it, but I am trying to leave out heavily creamy items this summer. The really foody interest is like a once a week thing, as the cost of the items I am cooking are pricey (tuna $19/lb on sale, scallops $22/lb, etc).

I still try steak occasionally, just not my cup of tea, and it is usually filet mignon.

Steelhead trout, never had. Never noticed it at my monger, but I am on Long Island, NY, so we get usually local items like Tuna, Striped Bass, etc.

Only pasta I do in the summer is something on the lighter side, using fresh plum tomatoes diced, fresh basil leaves out of my mothers garden, some olive oil, and a pinch of salt, served chilled over pasta.

Last edited by neildiamond11790; 07-10-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Nobody said anything about gourmet except one poster who suggested the OP might enjoy "gourmet cooking classes". Especially since the OP getting all excited about MOPPING up the drippings with bread isn't exactly fancy schmantzy!

And "covered in some sort of breading, condiment or sauce to give it flavor" is not what the OP did any more than YOU using "fresh herbs, fresh vegetables" except he used fresh FRUIT.

Why put a damper on the guy potentially finding a new hobby in classes and meeting other people and having some fun?

Not fancy schmantzy but oohhhhh so good, plus I find it wasteful to leave all that goodness on the plate or in the bowl.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Forget all the "Gourmet" blah blah, I'd rather cook regular real food, eat regular real food and serve my guests regular real food.

Original Poster: Your attempts sound great even though I do not eat any type of seafood.
Good luck with your future dishes and don't be too hard on yourself when something doesn't turn out quite right.
Everyone who cooks has had more than one disaster and in the end sometimes you just have to order pizza.
By the way, while I respect your opinion, booooooo on this part. I was like that for so long (21 till I ate seafood yikes), and now I can say my top 5 best meals ever were from the sea (striped bass counts for 3 of those, 1 of those still makes my mouth drool, seared striped bass over some sort of fresh from the field sweet corn concoction, the 4th was a piece of blackened grouper done to perfection at the Dry Dock on Longboat key who for some reason won't give me their cilantro chili sauce recipe, and #5 was a piece of Chilean Sea Bass which I usually not overly fond of, usually oily, but was amazing at the time). Unless you have no access to fresh seafood, you are missing out.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post
By the way, while I respect your opinion, booooooo on this part. I was like that for so long (21 till I ate seafood yikes), and now I can say my top 5 best meals ever were from the sea (striped bass counts for 3 of those, 1 of those still makes my mouth drool, seared striped bass over some sort of fresh from the field sweet corn concoction, the 4th was a piece of blackened grouper done to perfection at the Dry Dock on Longboat key who for some reason won't give me their cilantro chili sauce recipe, and #5 was a piece of Chilean Sea Bass which I usually not overly fond of, usually oily, but was amazing at the time). Unless you have no access to fresh seafood, you are missing out.
Regarding the sweet corn concoction...After having Emeril's Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad with blackened fish, I'm going to do it again the next time that I cook pan seared scallops. I loved it with the fish and think it will pair beautifully with scallops too.

If you hadn't mentioned dieting, I would have said scallops with beurre blanc...crazy good.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, and I don't really consider what I did like uber gourmet, they were all very simple really, but something a little more special than normal that I did for my family over 2 weekends (one being my mothers birthday). Outside of the soy, everything was fresh. Fresh garlic, fresh ginger, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed lime juice and zest, fresh cilantro.

All the real food you describe I have done except the butter and mayo, I am on a diet so I am really am trying to avoid the things you listed. I make a mean alfredo and my whipped cream usually has a hint of vanilla in it, but I am trying to leave out heavily creamy items this summer. The really foody interest is like a once a week thing, as the cost of the items I am cooking are pricey (tuna $19/lb on sale, scallops $22/lb, etc).

I still try steak occasionally, just not my cup of tea, and it is usually filet mignon.

Steelhead trout, never had. Never noticed it at my monger, but I am on Long Island, NY, so we get usually local items like Tuna, Striped Bass, etc.

Only pasta I do in the summer is something on the lighter side, using fresh plum tomatoes diced, fresh basil leaves out of my mothers garden, some olive oil, and a pinch of salt, served chilled over pasta.
How 'bout bluefish?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
How 'bout bluefish?

No thanks. Had it once, and that was enough for me. I have heard its better if its smoked, but I was really not a fan, although thats usually all I catch on my own fishing from the beach.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Sounds delicious! Do you leave it in the marinade to cook? I would try it on the Weber! Now all I need is a decent piece of salmon.
Yes, I leave it in the marinade, but for not more than 20 minutes. Fish flesh is delicate and starts to break down after that. I marinade it in an oven-proof dish and then slide the whole shebang into the oven.
The sauce caramelizes as the fish cooks.
I suppose you can do it on the BBQ, but most of the sauce will burn off. You'll have to baste it constantly.
So, so good!
I gave the recipe to many of my patients' families and most of the women tell me that's the only way their husbands will eat salmon now.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
No thanks. Had it once, and that was enough for me. I have heard its better if its smoked, but I was really not a fan, although thats usually all I catch on my own fishing from the beach.
Interesting...since my favorite version was smoked and peppered. I only found it once, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink