Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:05 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I like grilling.. but my food always tends to go dry.. I need to figure out how to stop this!
depends what you are grilling,,,you could be cooking too long,,,or cooking lean and dry steaks or chops or even chicken breasts

a nephew asked me the same question this weekend,,,why is his grilled meats always dry??
he overcooks it and he buys lean meats,,,lean and juicy seldom go together-you need fat for flavor and tenderness

if you are grilling extra lean (90%) lean burger,,,its going to be dry----you need some fat

if you are grilling lean steaks, they are going to be dry- lean steaks usually come from the round,

if you are grilling bnls chicken breasts or bnls pork chops, these can be dry because they are lean

buy some meats with more marbling/fat, don't cook as long.

grilling is trial and error,,thats part of the fun of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:18 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Done?

What does that mean?

I'm never "done"; I only take a hiatus if the path to the grill is hip-deep in snow.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Thrill of the grill. Good book if you've never read it.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:09 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
depends what you are grilling,,,you could be cooking too long,,,or cooking lean and dry steaks or chops or even chicken breasts

a nephew asked me the same question this weekend,,,why is his grilled meats always dry??
he overcooks it and he buys lean meats,,,lean and juicy seldom go together-you need fat for flavor and tenderness

if you are grilling extra lean (90%) lean burger,,,its going to be dry----you need some fat

if you are grilling lean steaks, they are going to be dry- lean steaks usually come from the round,

if you are grilling bnls chicken breasts or bnls pork chops, these can be dry because they are lean

If it's a chicken breast or a pork chop, you can also brine, marinate, or do an oil-and-dry-rub prep.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:51 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
We like to grill...but no, we don't get depressed after cooking.
Yup....., this should be in the Psychology section.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:39 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Oh ya, I just love standing over a hot grill, or running back and forth from the house, while everyone else sits around comfortably having cocktails and talking. I love it so much, my grill stays covered up most of the time.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I'm BBQing for forty folks this weekend - I always feel much better after it's over.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
I grilled on Friday and was very pleased once the kebabs were done so that I could eat.

To the OP, when was the last time you went camping/backpacking where a campfire to cook the meal was part of the experience? It sounds like your grilling enjoyment is something akin to enjoying the outdoors.

Last edited by Naturen; 07-14-2014 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 03:40 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Awesome post, thanks

It's normally chicken that I grill, so I am always scared to under cook it! With beef I don't mind so much

Old 07-15-2014, 12:46 PM

126 posts, read 156,545 times
Love grilling to late Fall, warm clothing, beer in hand, hot grill, the smells, its like sitting at a fire pit except you got some good food going. Once snow hits I pack it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink