Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times

Advertisements

Okay, Sunday night we are hosting an impromptu cocktail party and I am looking for quick, easy appetizers. Here is what we know we are already making:

shrimp and cocktail sauce
bacon wrapped artichokes
stuffed mushrooms
crab wontons

any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 PM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,888 times
Make the yummy spinach dip on the back of the Knorr's onion dip mix (I think thats the one). Substitute low fat mayo and fat free sour cream if you want to kill all the fat in it. Serve with veggies and/or baguette. Yum Yum

Old 12-19-2007, 05:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
Do you like cheese? Marinated cheese looks upscale and tastes great. Cut into cubes your cheese(s) of choice. I like to use Swiss, Jarlsberg, Gruyere.

Mix 3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, sliced thin
little bit of crushed red pepper flakes
chopped fresh chives

add cheese to mixture & pop in fridge

Another great easy appetizer I had at a candle party:
Mix a tub of cream cheese with knorr veg dip mix
spread mixture thinly on genoa and hard salami and roll up.
yummy.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:05 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Sounds as though you are already making a whole bunch of little things that will be time consuming to make. Now I'd go for some larger things that make a lot. How about a baked brie (Martha Stewart has a recipe), or a big chafing dish of little meatballs? A variety of cheeses is good and easy, too. I'd also check out Sam's Club, GFS Foods or Costco, etc. for their very good frozen hors d'oeuvres.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Default I like the Christmas colors

Easy recipes:

Riffing on gentlearts' Brie, you could gently warm it, and pour Bronco Bob's Raspberry Chipotle (or something comparable) over it for a Christmasy look. Serve with mild crackers.

This Christmas Goat Cheese Appetizer is festive and tastes good.

I usually make this one for New Year's Eve, and I use red and black caviar with chopped chives, but I thought I'd throw it in:

Here is the recipe for caviar pie:
between 6-12 eggs -- hard-boiled
mayo
salt and freshly ground pepper
One medium red onion, chopped
8 ounce block of softened cream cheese
16 ounces sour cream
1 large jars -- black caviar
1 large jar -- red caviar

"Grease" a 10" spring-form pan with a little mayo.Mash the eggs, mayo (enough to hold eggs together), salt, and pepper together. Spread into bottom of pan.
Spread onions on top of egg salad. Mix cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Spread over onions. You can be prepared up to this point the day before (recommended). Put the spring-form on a paper towel on a plate (the sour
cream tends to separate, I just never go to the trouble of draining it). Spread the caviar into a cute design. Serve with plain crackers

Old 12-19-2007, 07:21 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
Block of cream cheese
Pour a jar of chili sauce over it
Serve with crackers

Old 12-19-2007, 07:40 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Keep them coming. I will definitely do something with cheese because I LOVE CHEESE!

A question about the sausage ball recipe that has been floating around. (the bisquick, cheese, and sausage one). Do you just mix everything together dry, or do you prepare the bisquick mix for making biscuits??

Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Block of cream cheese
Pour a jar of chili sauce over it
Serve with crackers

I do something similar, instead of chili sauce, I cover the block of cream cheese with chi-chi's brand mild salsa, and bagged taco cheese, then I microwave till the bagged cheese melts. I'm getting hungry.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Keep them coming. I will definitely do something with cheese because I LOVE CHEESE!

A question about the sausage ball recipe that has been floating around. (the bisquick, cheese, and sausage one). Do you just mix everything together dry, or do you prepare the bisquick mix for making biscuits??

mix everything together, I found that waiting to cook them and served fresh works best for this appetizer. You can prepare the mixture, and form the balls ahead of time, but serve them up freshly cooked.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I like the cocktail weenies (white trash?). Serve with honey mustard and/or barbecue sauce for dipping. Also sam's club or costco has the big sized bags that are less $$

And get a smoked salmon, serve alongside cream cheese and crackers, water crackers are good or those rye crackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink