Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,398,571 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm a foodie but not a chef. I cook like the dickens, and I also bake cakes, part time, as a supplementary income for my family.

My horrible, contractor-grade GE electric oven finally (!) went kaput. I say "horrible", but quite honestly, it was terrific as far as insulation. When that oven was on, my kitchen never really warmed up.

I'm looking for a replacement, and with it, an improvement. However, I cannot afford Viking, Wolf, Thermador, etc...top of my price-range would be $1000-$1100. It also needs to be a free-standing, electric range/oven.

I am really digging the KitchenAid Architect II series. Gorgeous. However--reviews are subjective (mostly for the refrigerator, not so much for the ranges), depending on the website. They tend to go either "5 stars" or "1 star". I haven't noticed a correlation between stars and posting dates (to see if perhaps there was a service update, etc). I like that they are made in the US, and I know they're now owned by Whirlpool, which is another option as well (I like the Whirlpool reviews, but not the design as much).

Does anyone have any insight, or can anyone tell me about the smooth surface durability on these ranges? Perhaps you have some other advice?

I figured this would be the better forum to ask, since it looks like there's lots of foodies here

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 07-21-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
My wife has had her eye on the GE Profile 30" oven (comes in gas or electric). Apparently it gets good reviews, but the price point is around $2,000. It features two ovens and looks pretty snazzy.

I'm not a big fan because of the reliance on electronics. I prefer a simple oven. As long as it bakes correctly and insulates the heat- I'm pretty much sold.

But what I have to defer to the Missus on this one!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
KitchenAid 30" SelfCleaning Freestanding Double Oven Gas Convection Range StainlessStainless look Kgrs505xss - Best Buy

We had two of those. I cook and bake a lot and was extremely happy with it. Unfortunately the configuration of the current kitchen does allow a freestanding or slide in:>(

Remember - never pay retail. There is always a sale somewhere.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
KitchenAid 30" SelfCleaning Freestanding Double Oven Gas Convection Range StainlessStainless look Kgrs505xss - Best Buy

We had two of those. I cook and bake a lot and was extremely happy with it. Unfortunately the configuration of the current kitchen does allow a freestanding or slide in:>(

Remember - never pay retail. There is always a sale somewhere.
I have similar in my shopping cart there, Threestep! It's the electric version of that.

I'm thinking about replacing our refrigerator with the KitchenAid also--if we do that first, we get a $100 Best Buy gift card, which we can use toward the oven.

So far, BB has the best prices outside of going to a scratch and dent.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'm thinking about replacing our refrigerator with the KitchenAid also--if we do that first, we get a $100 Best Buy gift card, which we can use toward the oven.
Or you could just buy the stove that you need, and save about 2 grand.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
I have similar in my shopping cart there, Threestep! It's the electric version of that.

So far, BB has the best prices outside of going to a scratch and dent.
First check around for commercial sales in your area. Often they will sell to the public. Check into chains such as Lowes/HD - do you qualify for any of their discounts (military, law enforcement, government, ...). Does KitchenAid have a current discount for multi unit purchases?

I almost wore the little oven out:>)

Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Or you could just buy the stove that you need, and save about 2 grand.

Our original plans were to replace our refrigerator this year (it's 11, the ice maker no longer works and the compressor is failing). Sort of got sideswiped with the oven failing. After some discussion, I think we're going to wait until Labor Day for the fridge, if it can hold out that long.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
Check Consumer Reports for a reliable, non-advertising-driven review. (the library usually has them).

IIRC, they don't rate the "high-end" ranges very well.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Our original plans were to replace our refrigerator this year (it's 11, the ice maker no longer works and the compressor is failing). Sort of got sideswiped with the oven failing. After some discussion, I think we're going to wait until Labor Day for the fridge, if it can hold out that long.
Bummer - that's a lot of cash to lay out at once. I guess it's like ripping the Band-aid off all in one swift motion, instead of peeling it off slowly.

Honestly, I'd buy the best-rated fridge and stove I could afford, and nevermind that they're not of the same manufacturer or product line. It's what's inside that counts, not outside.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,731 times
A foodie? Really? Name a person on the planet who doesn't eat food. Everyone is a foodie and it's the dumbest term ever.

You're a business owner is buying new equipment over having your existing oven fixed going to help you make money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink