Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,758,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you've picked up fruit at Costco, Trader Joe's, Kroger or Walmart stores recently,....
Quote:
Wawona Packing Co. is voluntarily recalling peaches, nectarines, plums and pluots that were packed at its Cutler, California, warehouses between June 1 and July 12. Wawona believes the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Listeria risk prompts fruit recall - CNN.com

Fruit recall impacts Walmart, Costco - CNN.com Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 PM

In case it is not obvious to some, Sam's Club is part of the Walmart Corporation.

I am very pleased that the peach that I ate last week is not part of this recall. It was the best peach that I have had in quite some time. I've got one more juicy delight to enjoy.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Well ain't this the pits...

Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,432 times
Got a call from Ralph's today about this recall.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:06 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,157,864 times
The scary thing is that this is the wave of the future. The small family-run farms are a thing of the past, and the norm these days are farms that are owned by conglomerates where every decision has to go through many levels. In the past, a farmer could control things and if he sees a problem he fixes it on the spot without having to call some manager thousands of miles away to get a okay for a plan of action. The hygiene on these big corp. farms is questionable and controls on safety and product quality are not as important as profits. I keep hearing that there are hardly any inspections on these farms because there are very few inspectors to go around and even if the inspectors found something the farms only get a warning. People like to think that there are a lot of safeguards against food borne illness because that would mean one less thing to worry about.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:15 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
That's one of the reasons we buy chicken, pork and beef from local sources. Unfortunately- we have few resources for fresh fruit.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
I wonder if Publix fruit is ok......I have been eating plums and nectarines and apricots a lot lately....it seems to be in season and really delicious...now I am afraid to buy more.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I wonder if Publix fruit is ok......I have been eating plums and nectarines and apricots a lot lately....it seems to be in season and really delicious...now I am afraid to buy more.
Its only stone fruits from a certain California packing company. My local grocery store announced the recall Saturday, but they carry so much local produce that I always buy that instead of the stuff shipped from the other side of the country. So none of the fruit that I had was apart of the recall.

They're not going to be selling the fruit after its been recalled, so it should be fine to buy now. You can always check at customer service and ask where their stone fruits are from if you want to be extra safe. Their website doesn't have anything about the recall, so they must get their fruit from a different company and not the Wawona Packing Co. All the news articles just list Trader Joes, Walmart, Costco, and Kroger. I would think Publix is a big enough chain that they would also be mentioned in the articles if that is where their fruit was from.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 PM

One of the major disadvantages of corporations for the consumer is all of the subsidiaries - not knowing where your food comes from. I looked up Kroger and here is what I found:

Combination Food & Drug Stores
Baker's Supermarkets (Omaha, Nebraska)
City Market (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico)
Dillons Food Stores (Kansas, Missouri)
Fry's Food & Drug (Arizona)
Gerbes Super Markets (central Missouri)
Harris Teeter (North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia)
Jay C (southern Indiana)
King Soopers (Colorado, Wyoming)
Kroger (Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia)
Owen's (northeastern Indiana)
Pay Less Super Markets (central Indiana)
QFC (Oregon, Washington)
Ralphs (Southern California)
Scott's (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
Smith's (Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming)

Multi Department Stores
Fred Meyer (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington)

Price Impact Stores
Food 4 Less (Southern California; Las Vegas, Nevada; Chicago, Illinois; NW Indiana, and they have a former location in Allentown, Pennsylvania and Tahlequah, Oklahoma)there is also one location in Fremont Nebraska (Food 4 Less stores elsewhere are owned by other companies)
Foods Co. (Northern California)
Ruler Foods (Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky)

Marketplace Stores
Dillons Marketplace
Fry's Marketplace
King Soopers Marketplace
Kroger Marketplace
Smith's Marketplace

Kroger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
One of the major disadvantages of corporations for the consumer is all of the subsidiaries - not knowing where your food comes from. I looked up Kroger and here is what I found...
I used to shop at Dillions when I lived in Southwest Missouri. They don't hide the fact that they are apart of Kroger. It was right there on their savings card and probably elsewhere. Harris Teeter was in the news when they were acquired by Kroger last year, so I would think that those who shop there also know that its owned by Kroger.

I think its best to check with your individual grocery store when dealing with a major recall. They all have food recall information on their website. My grocery store wasn't named in any of the news articles, but they were still apart of the recall. They posted it to their Facebook page, on their website, as well as in stores. Just like if I were to still live in North Carolina, I would have checked Harris Teeter's website. Even though they're now apart of Kroger, they don't show that they are apart of the recall, although Dillions' website does show recalled stone fruits.

Most stores also advertise where their food comes from. I know that the squash I bought last week was from Cobden, IL, the belle peppers and tomatos were from Columbia, IL, the red potatoes were from Arbyrd MO, my blueberries are from Hammonton, NJ and the strawberries were from Salinas, CA. If they don't out right advertise where the food is from, all you have to do is ask. I would never buy anything if the store couldn't say where it came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink