Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 PM

265 posts, read 404,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I hate this media trend of "outing" restaurants for making unhealthy meals. Leave them alone. Let them make whatever they want. We are all responsible for our own choices. If it doesn't sell, they'll take it off the menu. And if it DOES sell, then it's NOBODY'S business if someone else eats it.

All this leads to is government regulating more of what we can and can't eat, do, say, believe, etc.,

I love the Cheesecake Factory, personally. It's a great environment and they have delicious coffee. The variety on the menu is extensive, too. (How the kitchen works with that many menu choices is beyond me. That usually spells disaster, but they do it well.)
I agree with this but ONLY if restaurants are regulated to start listing all their calories on the menu (this is def becoming a trend - can't wait until they're listed everywhere). Even those who don't count calories are going to think twice when ordering a 1200 calorie meal.

There was a story when a TGI Fridays somewhere did just this and the kitchen ran out of a meal on their low carb menu. I think it was like a steak and some veggies or something as it was the one of the few reasonable caloric options on the menu.

I absolutely abhor Cheesecake Factory. It's one of the worst places you can eat and the food is so mediocre - not even worth the ridiculous amounts of calories and sodium one will consume when eating there. But to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 02:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I love Cheesecake factory because they have it - the cheesecake- sugar free. I'll have two please
It isn't sugar free and it is loaded with calories, almost 600. It's touted as low carb.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:01 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It isn't sugar free and it is loaded with calories, almost 600. It's touted as low carb.
And anything "sugar-free" is loaded with chemical, dangerous, artificial sweeteners. People are far better off with sugar.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:17 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Im with the "it's not unhealthy if it fits into your caloric requirements" crowd since the poster food for fat people, the Big Mac, only fulfills a quarter of your daily caloric requirements.

However I really have to question Cheesecake Factory's dinners. It appears that a full sized meal and a dessert can set you back for over 4000 calories! How can the people who run Cheesecake Factory think that is normal?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Im with the "it's not unhealthy if it fits into your caloric requirements" crowd since the poster food for fat people, the Big Mac, only fulfills a quarter of your daily caloric requirements.

However I really have to question Cheesecake Factory's dinners. It appears that a full sized meal and a dessert can set you back for over 4000 calories! How can the people who run Cheesecake Factory think that is normal?
Cheesecake Factory has an entire menu that consists of entrees, salads, and appetizers that are 430 calories or less. You can eat very healthy at Cheesecake.

When you sit down they give you both menus.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Simple, you take part of it home and eat it over the next few days. I used to do this all the time at chain and local restaurants famous for serving "ginormous" portion sizes. It's not like you always have to finish it on store grounds!

One meal I ate, at a restaurant called La Gran Colombia, must have been at least 2,000 calories.

Main Course: Bandeja Paisa by tvdxer, on Flickr

I finished about half of it and took the rest home.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Eat whatever you want but society ends up carrying a huge burden of the healthcare bills because people choose to eat garbage. Maybe it is time they start mandating insurance rates based on body fat %. Desserts from a place like CF are garbage. Try a pastry made from a true artisan or one from a country like France, Germany, or Austria. Their desserts aren't obscenely massive yet are very satisfying because they focus on fine ingredients and craftsmanship. You don't need 2 bags of sugar to make a good dessert.

More and more evidence piles up every single day with regards to passing of diseases associated with sedenetary life styles and poor diet to offspring. Your nutritionally poor choices are literally imprinted onto your DNA and can be passed to your children. Children born from mothers with type 2 diabetes and obesity have higher risk for type 2 diabetes because more and more evidence points to epigenteic imprinting. When does the cycle end? Health care costs have already reached a breaking point and it is only a matter of time until everything collapses because not only is every adult in the whole country fat and afflicted with long term chronic metabolic diseases as a result, so now are their children and their children's children.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Eat whatever you want but society ends up carrying a huge burden of the healthcare bills because people choose to eat garbage. Maybe it is time they start mandating insurance rates based on body fat %. Desserts from a place like CF are garbage. Try a pastry made from a true artisan or one from a country like France, Germany, or Austria. Their desserts aren't obscenely massive yet are very satisfying because they focus on fine ingredients and craftsmanship. You don't need 2 bags of sugar to make a good dessert.

More and more evidence piles up every single day with regards to passing of diseases associated with sedenetary life styles and poor diet to offspring. Your nutritionally poor choices are literally imprinted onto your DNA and can be passed to your children. Children born from mothers with type 2 diabetes and obesity have higher risk for type 2 diabetes because more and more evidence points to epigenteic imprinting. When does the cycle end? Health care costs have already reached a breaking point and it is only a matter of time until everything collapses because not only is every adult in the whole country fat and afflicted with long term chronic metabolic diseases as a result, so now are their children and their children's children.
years ago, I wrote about the same thing/theme in a college course paper- obesity was taking over smoking/heart disease, as the number one killer, and we all have to pay for that, and like everything, it starts in steps,
and my (chunky) professor tried her best to humiliate me, and gave me a d on the paper-
I made an analogy that if someone was drunk, you can refuse to sell alcohol to them,,
and if someone is morbidly obese, restaurants, could refuse to serve them. - a fatty meal
oh Christ,,,,you'd have thought I was throwing racial slurs

its a slippery slope- a few mcdonalds patrons tried to sue mcdonalds for "making them fat"
someday, they may find a judge or jury that will rule in their favor

im on the fence on this-
on one hand why should I be paying for someone elses poor decisions and bad choices??

but then I look around, and see all the welfare abuse, and no one seems to care-
and other government wastes

so,, if a fit person can eat anything they want, but an overweight person cant??
I have a tough time with an over-reaching government

all things being equal,,,you are right, we all should be eating more healthy and exercising, the sedentary lifestyle is hurting us as a society

but, the older I get , I do believe if freedoms and choices are eroded by gov't , its a slippery slope, where does it stop?

insurance companies already reward healthier lifestyles - smoking/non smoking policies, also,,once a yr I have to take 4 health test guidelines, one is weight, bmi, others are high blood pressure and other blood results
so some things are already in place

I love ice cream- I stop for ice creams quite often, ice cream has very little nutritional value and is very unhealthy- and where do you draw the line??
I often see obese folks eating ice cream- how could you ever tell someone they cant have an ice cream??

Old 08-19-2014, 02:34 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Simple, you take part of it home and eat it over the next few days. I used to do this all the time at chain and local restaurants famous for serving "ginormous" portion sizes. It's not like you always have to finish it on store grounds!

One meal I ate, at a restaurant called La Gran Colombia, must have been at least 2,000 calories.

Main Course: Bandeja Paisa by tvdxer, on Flickr

I finished about half of it and took the rest home.
Bandeja paisa is very big. Usually I buy one in the morning and save the leftover for the rest of the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink