Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:08 AM

74 posts, read 127,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is on the OCD spectrum.

We have to remember human history. Mankind lived for thousands of years without the basic sanitation that we now take or granted. For the most part, mankind survived.
You forgot to mention that they lived till 30 at most

Old 08-10-2014, 11:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,429,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofpearls View Post
You forgot to mention that they lived till 30 at most
I would counter that with asking you do you know the current FDA standards for food? There is still a ton of dirt and other "natural things" that knowingly makes it into our food supply.

Veggies and fruit are grown in dirt for goodness sake. Tons of microbes. Ever hear of beneficial bacteria?

If you eat meat, the animals eat grain, grass, and other stuff that grow in dirt or are near dirt.

Unless you're in one of those white, sterile labs in Silicon Valley, then the world we live in is full of dirt...that doesn't kill us.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:04 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes.
No.
Are you saying you worry about how a friend has handled berries and grapes? I think that is being overly cautious. I do run all our fruit under the faucet or rinse it some other way and I trust my friends to do the same. If I have to worry about how clean my friends are about their food, I don't think I am really a friend and I would choose not to eat at their home period.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:20 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,995,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
(1) This is new for me, but I now insist on washing and rubbing clean each strawberry, cherry or grape! - even tiny blueberries -- before eating.

Previously, I would simply wash under running water in a colander. (2) Isn't that the norm for most people still, despite costly spray bottles which claim to clean any insecticides?

(3)Is my action truly bizarre? (4) Would you just eat grapes at a friend's house...without wondering how well they were cleaned?
You're headed off the rails.
  1. Very bad sign. I'm left to wonder what other stuff you do isn't new to you.
  2. Yes, that's certainly the norm (though many do more and others do less).
  3. Absolutely.
  4. Sure. Even if they weren't rinsed at all what do you think the real risk is? Most people would say "miniscule to nothing." You obviously perceive the risk to be substantial OR are afraid to take any risk at all, no matter how small. Get help.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:26 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,693,791 times
I now must wash EVERY grape or strawberry.

Is your name Monk?

Seems like very odd behavior to me, it's not right.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,255,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I now must wash EVERY grape or strawberry.

Is your name Monk?

Seems like very odd behavior to me, it's not right.
Seriously?

Why is that? When I buy produce I wash it. Soooo many people have their hands on it and I have no idea where their hands have been!

When I eat strawberries or grapes it's not like I am eating a million of them. I wash each strawberry individually before I eat it. Cut off the stem, put it on the plate. Probably 5 at a time.

Is it really such a huge deal to wash your produce?

Old 08-10-2014, 01:56 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,712,187 times
Rinse n' go here. My friends are too stupid to eat things like fruit. Pass the donuts.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:17 PM

18,748 posts, read 11,730,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Seriously?

Why is that? When I buy produce I wash it. Soooo many people have their hands on it and I have no idea where their hands have been!

When I eat strawberries or grapes it's not like I am eating a million of them. I wash each strawberry individually before I eat it. Cut off the stem, put it on the plate. Probably 5 at a time.

Is it really such a huge deal to wash your produce?

You never know who has pooh pooh claws and who doesn't with those hundreds of people touching the produce. Why not just soak them in some soapy water for a few minutes? I wash all of my produce including all melons before cutting them. We just had a peach recall for Listeria. I'm amazed at how many people eat unwashed produce.

Did someone mention donuts?

Old 08-10-2014, 02:46 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,188,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Peeling the grapes is much more effective to remove the germs and insecticides.
I thought everybody did this?

Old 08-10-2014, 03:14 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,051,534 times
I just throw my grapes, blueberries, raspberries, cherries,

potatos, peaches,,lettuce,, beans, I throw them all right in the washer with a little bleach

I know ,that one little germ is out to get me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink