Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 03:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I did check our garlic and a few canned veggies: I don't use canned fruit very often: what I checked was grown and produced in America. So, I guess it just depends on what you are purchasing and where?

I would say that about 50% of the canned fruit is imported. That is partially dependent on the brand. On your next trip to Aldi, you will generally see that any fruit cocktail, pineapple, or exotic fruit is imported. Most peaches and pears are domestic unless they are in glass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
I stopped buying garlic since it seems it's all out of China now, as are most spices in the grocery store.

Highly recommend ===> Mountain Rose Herbs is absolutely fabulous and they list the country of origin for everything they sell. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ Their spices are of the highest quality, frequently organic, ultra fresh, and absolutely amazing.

Costco is the only other place I know of that sells spices grown out of the USA. Their powdered Kirkland/Costco brand of garlic is definitely USA grown. They are the only store I have found locally that isn't filled with cheap Chinese grown spices.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Its because only .13% of all the worlds pineapples come from Hawaii now.

I'm in California so I can find both Hawaiian pineapples(costly BTW) and obviously as much california grown garlic as I want.

FYI a large portion of premium fruits and veggies grown in the state get shipped/flown overseas because of the money they can get from people in other countries that spend a LARGE percentage of their income for premium food products.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 PM

104 posts, read 144,544 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you certainly are a sensible and detailed shopper. I check some items but would never think to check to see where my garlic comes from. Now, I am going to find out and pay more attention. I would assume the pineapple came from this hemisphere at least. We have been to the Dole producers in Costa Rico and watched them prepare the fruit for shipping, the same in Hawaii. If they cans are from Indonesia, I wonder where the stuff we say was going? I rarely buy canned fruit, but when I do I will pay a little more attention: mostly I watch to see where our meat and fish come from. It is, sometimes hard to determine where it is raised. I am not a particular about where it was processed although I prefer it to be in the USA.
I was looking at the crab legs at Jungle Jims today, its a cool store here in Ohio. Kind of a destination place. Anyway the crab legs were marked USA/ Canada, so I asked if one leg was from each place don't think they found it funny, oh well. Also around Thanksgiving I would of course buy potato's for dinner in Arizona, expecting Idaho I have seen all my life, The potato's were from Florida! what? Guess Idaho spuds don't travel that far.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I stopped buying garlic since it seems it's all out of China now, as are most spices in the grocery store.

Highly recommend ===> Mountain Rose Herbs is absolutely fabulous and they list the country of origin for everything they sell. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ Their spices are of the highest quality, frequently organic, ultra fresh, and absolutely amazing.

Costco is the only other place I know of that sells spices grown out of the USA. Their powdered Kirkland/Costco brand of garlic is definitely USA grown. They are the only store I have found locally that isn't filled with cheap Chinese grown spices.
The garlic I got and checked the other day was grown here in America. I got it from Walmart. The only reason I even had it from WalMart as I don't shop there often was for my home canning of our salsa a few months ago and I needed a very large amount. I still have a couple bulbs left and saved them in the original bag.

jlawence: I will check Aldi's next time. I do think they have more imports than many stores. I know all their fish or most of it, anyway comes from outside the USA. That is one reason I stay away from the fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink