Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,601,239 times

Advertisements

I grew up in New England (MA). My parents were devout Maple Syrup consumers. You know, the real stuff that comes from a tree?

That cheap crap by Log Cabin never saw the light of day in our house.

My wife, on the other hand, grew up with a mother who always, always, always, bought what was "cheap". She didn't grow up particuarly poor, either. She never tried maple syrup, the real kind, until she met me. She has now been converted, and both of us can't really stomach the plasticy, overly sweet, almost chemical-tasting fake stuff.

Living in Central Ohio now, we still have access to local maple syrup, but it's less prevalent. Seems a lot of people here assume Log Cabin etc are maple syrup, but have no idea.

So that's the weird thing...why is it that even the more "high-end" breakfast restaurants, don't even OFFER real maple syrup? I get that it costs more, but people (like me, and my converted wife) would pay extra for it if it were at least available. I get that in the West and Deep South it might be less in demand, but in the NE and Midwest where it is produced locally, or semi-locally, you'd think there would be some demand, at least in better restaurants!

Cracker Barrel used to have it, but now they have a mixed real/corn syrup stuff, which is admittedly still far better than Log Cabin, but not as good as the real thing.

Am I alone in this quest?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 AM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
That's an interesting question. I wonder if Tom Douglas and his fancy high-end restaurants here serve real maple syrup. I don't care where I am in the US or the globe, high fructose-flavored imitation maple syrup is NOT maple syrup!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,720 times
the cheap stuff (HFCS + caramel coloring) will do the trick when your hungry and is cost effective... restaurants have to keep costs down so unless its a upper scale restaurant where they bring you a fresh bottle you getting log cabin

Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
the cheap stuff (HFCS + caramel coloring) will do the trick when your hungry and is cost effective... restaurants have to keep costs down so unless its a upper scale restaurant where they bring you a fresh bottle you getting log cabin
That's my point - I would PAY extra for it! Others would too, I'm sure.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I grew up in New England (MA). My parents were devout Maple Syrup consumers. You know, the real stuff that comes from a tree?

That cheap crap by Log Cabin never saw the light of day in our house.

My wife, on the other hand, grew up with a mother who always, always, always, bought what was "cheap". She didn't grow up particuarly poor, either. She never tried maple syrup, the real kind, until she met me. She has now been converted, and both of us can't really stomach the plasticy, overly sweet, almost chemical-tasting fake stuff.

Living in Central Ohio now, we still have access to local maple syrup, but it's less prevalent. Seems a lot of people here assume Log Cabin etc are maple syrup, but have no idea.

So that's the weird thing...why is it that even the more "high-end" breakfast restaurants, don't even OFFER real maple syrup? I get that it costs more, but people (like me, and my converted wife) would pay extra for it if it were at least available. I get that in the West and Deep South it might be less in demand, but in the NE and Midwest where it is produced locally, or semi-locally, you'd think there would be some demand, at least in better restaurants!

Cracker Barrel used to have it, but now they have a mixed real/corn syrup stuff, which is admittedly still far better than Log Cabin, but not as good as the real thing.

We use the real stuff too. I've kinda taken to not serving to our house guests though unless I know they use the real stuff in their own home. I know that sounds "cheap" - I'm not. I serve high quality stuff as a rule when we have guests. But the syrup thing made me mental (my sisters kids in particular). We only use as much as is required since we know how much the real stuff costs. Guests, used to the big bottles of the fake stuff, seemed to really pour it on and when I'd clear the table - I'd end up rinsing alot down the drain.

When people stay with us, I get up and make full-on fresh breakfast nearly every morning. I alternate between pancakes, french toast and waffles so that's a lot of syrup!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Grade B real stuff in my house. If you heat the maple sap in the microwave it goes MUCH further as it's viscosity decreases.

Whenever I have house guests I always tell them to go VERY light on the sap if they arn't used to using it or I expect a 5 buck tip on the table per maple waster.

Haven't seen real maple syrup in restaurants since the 1970's

Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
I think the real maple syrup is not near as good as the imitation syrups. If both were on the table, free for me to use, then I'd definitely pick the maple flavored syrup every time.
Not everybody wants the true maple syrup and that real maple syrup is no more legitimate than the fake stuff.
There's nothing "plasticy" or "overly sweet" about it at all.

Besides, your pancake syrup damages the maple trees - ours doesn't.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
We use the real stuff too. I've kinda taken to not serving to our house guests though unless I know they use the real stuff in their own home. I know that sounds "cheap" - I'm not. I serve high quality stuff as a rule when we have guests. But the syrup thing made me mental (my sisters kids in particular). We only use as much as is required since we know how much the real stuff costs. Guests, used to the big bottles of the fake stuff, seemed to really pour it on and when I'd clear the table - I'd end up rinsing alot down the drain.

When people stay with us, I get up and make full-on fresh breakfast nearly every morning. I alternate between pancakes, french toast and waffles so that's a lot of syrup!
I use somewhat less of the real stuff - on the occasion I use the 'fake' stuff, or, the fruit syrups like IHOP serves (which are OK actually), I use more. The maple soaks in and creates, for me, a different experience. A 1/4 cup serving of real maple is enough, but the key is to pour it on SLOWLY.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I think the real maple syrup is not near as good as the imitation syrups. If both were on the table, free for me to use, then I'd definitely pick the maple flavored syrup every time.
Not everybody wants the true maple syrup and that real maple syrup is no more legitimate than the fake stuff.
There's nothing "plasticy" or "overly sweet" about it at all.

Besides, your pancake syrup damages the maple trees - ours doesn't.
If done right it doesn't really harm the trees at all.

That's why I say offer it and charge extra.

A way around this would be simlar to what Cracker Barrel does - they serve their half and half syrup in individual bottles. A restaurant could buy the pure stuff in bulk, rebottle it, and sell it as a separate menu item in maybe 1/4 or 1/3 cup bottles (which is enough for most people) for a few bucks.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post

Not here in southern MN you aren't. A few years back I began to realize that real maple syrup is to top shelf whiskey what cheap imitation flavored syrup is to rot-gut.

I don't consider myself a food snob and have been known to devour all manner of cheap junk when I have a craving. But all of my family have fine-tuned taste buds and I like to cook from scratch using fresh ingredients. I figure why go to all that work if I'm not going to be working with the best ingredients I can find?

I like waffles and am usually the only one who wants one so it's expedient to go out to eat one. I've been tempted to slip a small container of the real deal into my purse to pour over my dining out breakfast.

For a while we were in luck. A local man opened a restaurant that featured breakfasts all day long and the star of the show was his real maple syrup which came heated in a little pitcher with real butter melted into it. Pure heaven. Unfortunately not enough people must have appreciated paying extra for the treat as he was only open about a year and a half.

Fortunately I have a friend whose husband and brother make their own maple syrup in the spring and if I've been sufficiently devoted to her during the year I usually get a pint or two. That's a gift of pure gold and you can bet I'd walk to the ends of the earth for that woman.

The rest I request as gifts when people ask me what I want for my birthday or Christmas. Being retired I don't need no steenkin' knick-knacks anymore. Give me treats for my tummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink