Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
The vast majority of the world has decided not to hunt and eat whales. Its just a few holdouts like some Scandinavians, Japanese and a few backwards natives.
The vast majority of the world also agrees that women are and should be less priviledged than men. That doesn't make it right though.

The countries that stopped whaling, are pretty much only the countries where whale meat was more or less never eaten anyway, and the hunting stopped only cause they found better and cheaper ways to obtain oil (by drilling it from the ground), not for some cry-baby sentimental moral bullsh*t that was invented much later by hippies in mid-1970's California.

The person in question who asked me said that: "Self-appointed rights are meaningless. Only those agreed on by a majority of society have any morally-defensible basis."

So I simply answered to that argument by saying that in the places where whales are hunted, the majority of the society does indeed agree with it. The person in question said that only the things agreed by a majority of the society has any morally-defenisble basis, so I guess he agrees then.

People hunt and eat different animals in different countries and environments. In Australia for instance they hunt and eat kangaroos, name any other country doing that.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 08-24-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 PM

495 posts, read 684,574 times
I always think of this poem when I encounter people with human superiority complexes.

The aliens came
From a far distant world
In a large yellow ship
That blinked as it twirled.
It rounded the moon,
And entered our sky.
We knew they had come
But we didn't know why.

Bright the next morning,
With noisy commotion,
The ship slowly moved
Out over the ocean.
It lowered a tube
And drained the whole sea
For transport back home
To their galaxy.

The tube then sucked up
The clouds and the air,
Causing no small amount
Of Earthling despair.
With nothing to breathe
We started to die.
"Help us! Please stop!"
Was the public outcry.

A hatch opened up
And the aliens said,
"We are sorry to learn
That you soon will be dead.
But though you may find this
Slightly macabre,
We prefer your extinction
To the loss of our job."

Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
The vast majority of the world also agrees that women are and should be less priviledged than men. That doesn't make it right though.

The countries that stopped whaling, are pretty much only the countries where whale meat was more or less never eaten anyway, and the hunting stopped only cause they found better and cheaper ways to obtain oil, not for any cry-baby sentimental animal rights moral bullsh*t.

The person in question who asked me said that: "Self-appointed rights are meaningless. Only those agreed on by a majority of society have any morally-defensible basis."

So I simply answered to that argument by saying that in the places where whales are hunted, the majority of the society does indeed agree with it. The person in question said that only the things agreed by a majority of the society has any morally-defenisble basis, so I guess he agrees then.

People hunt different animals in different countries. In Australia for instance they hunt kangaroos, name any other country doing that.
Most of Germany agreed with hitler. So its ok if the local population thinks its fine. Most of mexico thinks bullfighting and cockfighting are just dandy.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Most of Germany agreed with hitler. So its ok if the local population thinks its fine. Most of mexico thinks bullfighting and cockfighting are just dandy.
That was not what I said. I answered to the argument of a person who said the exact following against me: "Self-appointed rights are meaningless. Only those agreed on by a majority of society have any morally-defensible basis."

And then I simply used the same argument against him, that the majority of these societies agrees with it. But did I say that whaling is okay only for that reason? No! I think its okay for a whole lot other reasons, many of them listed here.

As for bullfighting in Mexico, I have nothing against them, let them have it, it would be hypocritical to go against it anyway with the factory farming there is in North America and Europe, and if I was invited to a corrida I would watch, as pure cultural exchange. I respect that cultures are different here in the world (with a very, very, very few exceptions).

Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post

The countries that stopped whaling, are pretty much only the countries where whale meat was more or less never eaten anyway, and the hunting stopped only cause they found better and cheaper ways to obtain oil (by drilling it from the ground), not for some cry-baby sentimental moral bullsh*t that was invented much later by hippies in mid-1970's California.

People hunt and eat different animals in different countries and environments. In Australia for instance they hunt and eat kangaroos, name any other country doing that.
Whales are in every ocean. Its hard for say cuba to hunt kangaroos because the don't have any. But any country can whale because everyone has access to the oceans.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:56 PM

Well the only argument you seem to be sticking to is that you eat whale because your better than the whale. I don't agree with that as an argument to eat whales (read the poem). Lets hope that when aliens visit us they will see us as too sentient to kill and the wont use your reasons not to eat or exterminate mankind.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Whales are in every ocean. Its hard for say cuba to hunt kangaroos because the don't have any. But any country can whale because everyone has access to the oceans.
Trust me they would if there still was big money to be made. The reason why the USA (the lower 48, non-natives), Australia, the UK, New Zealand etc hunted whales was because of the oil derived from blubber. This stopped when people found ways to drill oil, which was both cheaper and more effective. Therefore they stopped hunting whales, cause there was no big money to be made anylonger when oil could be obtained in cheaper and more effective ways. Otherwise they would not have stopped.

Okay, let me take another example of animals hunted in certain countries, that also exists in others. In the USA there is people who hunts squirrels and eats them, but hardly anyone in Europe. Does that mean the Americans are barbarians for hunting an animal that Europeans don't hunt? In much of Europe, people don't hunt moose really, but in Sweden, Norway and Finland we hunt more than 200,000. You know as well as I do that people hunt and eat different animals in different countries. I accept and respect this, regardless of what the animal is, what it looks like, how big it is or how smart it is, as long as the hunt does not pose any threat to that animal's population.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Well the only argument you seem to be sticking to is that you eat whale because your better than the whale. I don't agree with that as an argument to eat whales (read the poem). Lets hope that when aliens visit us they will see us as too sentient to kill and the wont use your reasons not to eat or exterminate mankind.
I think its the same as eating other wild game. I think that killing a whale or a dolphin is no different from killing a moose or a deer. To me there is no real explanation exactly why, but it just is that way, that we are humans and they are animals.

For example if I was asked why I think its right to eat moose, I would probably answer the same way since the person demands an answer, and I would probably say there as well that its cause I think humans are higher standing than the moose, cause the person demands an answer. That someone should have to justify exactly why they think its okay to eat moose is just as absurd as if a person has to justify exactly why they think its okay to eat non-endangered minke whale. It simply is okay cause its food sold pre-packaged in a store like any other meat, no justification or philosophy needed.

Do you need a justification for your consumption of beef etc? And how would YOU defend yourself if challenged by an angry and dedicated cow-lover for it on an internet forum after friendly and politely making a thread asking for a good beef recipie? And then compared you to cannibals and murderers etc when you did your best to argue in favour of beef consumption?

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 08-24-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM

I don't put a squirrel , moose or a cow on the same sentient level as a whale or a human. You might but I don't. And whaling had two big drop offs. The first as you said was in the latter 1800s when whale oil was replaced by petroleum products. But modern commercial whaling had a resurgence in the 1900s thanks to Asia's population boom and their voracious appetite for seafood. The soviets and japan did the most damage to whale populations. The 70s and 80s where the turning point for most people. Remember save the whales. A also Star Trek 4 was credited with having a huge affect on modern whaling. Again I hope when aliens do come to earth they don't have the same superiority complex we have to other lower sentient highly intelligent creatures as we do.(read the poem)

Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM

And I don't give people a pass just because of culture. Bad behavior is bad behavior, culture be dammed. If people say I act this way because its my culture then they have a sh.tty culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink