Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:39 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times

Advertisements

So since Betty Crocker pulled their last predatory capitalistic stunt on the instant mashed potatoes, I was thinking of buying regular potatoes, peel them, cut them, and then freeze part of them until the next time...

Can they be put in the freezer after being peeled and cut in small squares? And for how long?

Thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Just like the frozen french fries, hash browns and other potatoes at the grocery store, you should blanch them first. If not, they will turn brown/black before they freeze. To blanch use either boiling water or better yet steam for about 5 minutes. Then cool, and freeze.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
Well I always recommend fresh over a box of dehydrated flakes.

But just taking a step back here,
but aren't "potatoes" one of the cheapest things in the market? And do they ever go out of season?

I'm just not seeing the value in "freezing" a stockpile of potatoes.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I always have some mashed potatoes in the freezer. They work wonders in yeast dough.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just like the frozen french fries, hash browns and other potatoes at the grocery store, you should blanch them first. If not, they will turn brown/black before they freeze. To blanch use either boiling water or better yet steam for about 5 minutes. Then cool, and freeze.
OK; But does this mean? "blanch"?

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Well I always recommend fresh over a box of dehydrated flakes.

But just taking a step back here,
but aren't "potatoes" one of the cheapest things in the market? And do they ever go out of season?

I'm just not seeing the value in "freezing" a stockpile of potatoes.
They aren't cheap in Florida...and we don't eat them every day, so if I buy a bag, we'll use say 5 of them, and then I need to do something with the rest or they'll go bad...that's why I was asking.

Regarding the flakes; I am not "thrilled" with having to use them, but I am time challenged so it is quicker than having to peel, boil, mash...etc.

(What Betty Crocker did that pissed me off was that they took away the Boxed version which included two pouches for $1.75, and replaced it with ONE Pouch that has less than it used to be in one of the pouched in that boxed version and are now selling it for $1. That's a RIP OFF. I am not paying $1 for that. It's not enough in it to feed two people, let alone 6! I don't understand why the population doesn't hold these predatory companies accountable when they nonchalantly dig their hands into our pockets and offer nothing in return. Kellog's does the same thing! You buy a bigger box of cereals and it is half full!).

Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Can you freeze mashed potatoes? - Home Cooking - Chowhound

lots of info on freezing mashed taters.

Info on freezing potatoes.....(step by step pictures.....(they are blanched first) 4 Ways to Freeze Potatoes - wikiHow

Old 08-18-2014, 10:23 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
If you keep potatoes in a dark, cool, non-damp place they will keep just about all winter. Why freeze them uncooked?

Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
If you keep potatoes in a dark, cool, non-damp place they will keep just about all winter. Why freeze them uncooked?
Cliffee.....In New England houses used to have pantries, cellars and root cellers for storing home canned goods and winter vegetables like taters and cabbages etc. I remember my Dad (Maine) saying they used to put a couple of barrels of apples by.....in the basement....and they lasted all year. (They packed the apples in layers according to their keeping qualities.)

I now live in Florida...and cool non-damp places are very hard to come by. Our houses don't have basements or cellars for storing potatoes, apples,squash, cabbages or bulbs and humidity is very very high.

That is probably the answer to your question. The other answer.....is space....in a modern apartment...closet space is limited so it isn't practical to store a couple of bags of potatoes....and certainly not a couple of burlap sacks of em, lol

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I can't use the whole bag of potatoes up before they sprout on me, and I keep them in a mesh basket on the bottom shelf of my kitchen bookcase. It's probably too humid in here for optimal storage.

I usually buy the more expensive individual russet potatoes now so I don't have this problem so often. I'll get 2-3 at a time. It might cost as much as the 5 pound sack of smaller potatoes, but at least I am getting the better quality, smoother, larger potatoes, and reducing wasted food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink