Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Chinese has gluten in it, because of the soy sauce, which is brewed in wheat. A lot of Chinese [American] dishes has gluten in their gravies and sauces so I'd avoid this as well. Eating gluten-free isn't as simple as avoiding cakes, cookies, and breads and such. Gluten is in everything (alcoholic beverages, soups, sauces, gravies, salad dressings) and there's also the issue of cross-contamination when preparing food. For example, you can't make a burger and put it on a bun then take it off the bread and serve it to someone who has celiace disease. It has become contaminated and they can't eat it, period. They will get sick.
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm gluten intolerant and been G free for about a year now, and Chinese is actually the hardest for me to enjoy. Even Italian is easier because nearly every restaurant has GF pasta now. But it's soooo difficult to avoid soy sauce (as well as other sauces that have soy sauce in them). So far the only place where I can get Chinese is at PF Changs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm gluten intolerant and been G free for about a year now, and Chinese is actually the hardest for me to enjoy. Even Italian is easier because nearly every restaurant has GF pasta now. But it's soooo difficult to avoid soy sauce (as well as other sauces that have soy sauce in them). So far the only place where I can get Chinese is at PF Changs.

Yeah, I had to stop the Chinese too. I've never wanted to eat at PF Chang's but once I learned of their GF menu, I now want to go there.

Whenever I order certain dishes, I tell them no soy sauce, but the things is, if they don't start cooking your food in a clean pan you can still get cross-contamination.

The best advice I can give to the OP is that if she's trying to prepare this meal herself, only get fresh fruits, veggies and meats, and any packaged or bottle items that specifically say "gluten-free" on the label as to avoid any mishaps if unsure. If they decide to go to a restaurant (I think this is the best option), only go to restaurants that offer gluten-free menus.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Did you ever see "Christmas Time For the Jews"? On SNL?

So funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOhKQyRAo6k
I'd never seen that before! Oh my god, hilarious!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, they are Catholic, and their son is marrying a gluten free girl, but they are happily entertaining her Jewish relatives (Oy). Thanks for your suggestions. I will pass them on.
If only the girl has to eat gluten-free, then find out what she likes and order food specifically for her. I don't suggest an entire gluten-free menu for one person, particularly if you are working within a budget, as gluten-free food can be very expensive.

If money is no object, still I'd only order or prepare gluten-free food just for her. Having an entire spread of gluten-free food for the whole party may not be as enjoyable for the other guests who aren't used to eating gluten-free (gluten-free greatly limits menu options), especially if you get gluten-free versions of normally gluten-based foods like cakes or cookies. The taste and texture is different and won't appeal to people who aren't used to eating foods made of gluten-free flours.

When attending catered functions where those putting on the event knows my dietary needs, they make or order something specifically for me and order regular food for everyone else. Since her Jewish family isn't strict kosher and only avoids pork, coming up with a menu for them will be the easiest. You will spare yourself a lot of stress and grief if you only prepare a gluten-free meal for the person who has to eat that way.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Tossed salad with chick peas olives, fresh dill, tomatoes and cucumbers
Egg salad
Tuna salad
Fresh tomato and mozzarella with basil and olive oil
portabella mushroom caps, then filled with spinach and feta, baked until cheese melts
fruit salad
salmon spread served on rice crackers
hummus
gluten free pasta salad
The rub with mayo-based salads such as coleslaw, tuna and egg is that unless the OP is going to make the mayo from scratch, many brands' mayo has gluten in it in the form of modified food starch, which is used to thicken it. Reading and understanding labels and knowing what gluten is and what it's in is very key. I eat Helmann's. It has modified corn starch versus modified food starch, which is often wheat.

I was invited to a function where I ate some store-prepared potato salad and coleslaw and I had a reaction. I didn't ask to see the label . The OP has to be mindful of this as well.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Pickles, a lot of pickles.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Damn nw I'm hungry!
Can't wait for the next Oneg Shabbat!!

Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Bagels have gluten in but its probably quite possible to find gluten-free ones.
I think I saw them in an over-priced health food shop. Think very big bucks for maybe 4.

Why not make it a pot-luck, and let everyone participate in the food preparation. This will take some of the load off the host or hostess.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:25 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
Would macrobiotic food help here? Just avoid the mock meat made from wheat gluten. I think this is called Fu. Miso also might have gluten in it, if it is made with barley. Does red rice miso contain gluten? Maybe consult a macrobiotic food chef/counselor?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:04 AM

41 posts, read 60,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
If only the girl has to eat gluten-free, then find out what she likes and order food specifically for her. I don't suggest an entire gluten-free menu for one person, particularly if you are working within a budget, as gluten-free food can be very expensive.

If money is no object, still I'd only order or prepare gluten-free food just for her. Having an entire spread of gluten-free food for the whole party may not be as enjoyable for the other guests who aren't used to eating gluten-free (gluten-free greatly limits menu options), especially if you get gluten-free versions of normally gluten-based foods like cakes or cookies. The taste and texture is different and won't appeal to people who aren't used to eating foods made of gluten-free flours.

When attending catered functions where those putting on the event knows my dietary needs, they make or order something specifically for me and order regular food for everyone else. Since her Jewish family isn't strict kosher and only avoids pork, coming up with a menu for them will be the easiest. You will spare yourself a lot of stress and grief if you only prepare a gluten-free meal for the person who has to eat that way.
This is the right idea. I understand she is the bride, so that changes the dynamic, but in the catering business, you literally cannot please everyone. I would say that if you have more than a few gluten free options, at least something to eat at every course, then don't worry about everything being gluten free. You really only need something to be gluten free.

Example: you have a lot of crudite, dips, cheese, hummus, and various salads. If there are that many choices, having real crackers or pita bread or bagels, or even regular pasta salad, is no big deal. She can just not eat them in lieu of something else. As for a main course, if pasta is on the menu, make everyone else's regular, they'll thank you, and have enough GF pasta for only the GF eaters. The idea that someone is (insert dietary restriction) so everyone must adhere to that diet at a party is unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink