Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
If only the girl has to eat gluten-free, then find out what she likes and order food specifically for her. I don't suggest an entire gluten-free menu for one person, particularly if you are working within a budget, as gluten-free food can be very expensive.

If money is no object, still I'd only order or prepare gluten-free food just for her. Having an entire spread of gluten-free food for the whole party may not be as enjoyable for the other guests who aren't used to eating gluten-free (gluten-free greatly limits menu options), especially if you get gluten-free versions of normally gluten-based foods like cakes or cookies. The taste and texture is different and won't appeal to people who aren't used to eating foods made of gluten-free flours.

When attending catered functions where those putting on the event knows my dietary needs, they make or order something specifically for me and order regular food for everyone else. Since her Jewish family isn't strict kosher and only avoids pork, coming up with a menu for them will be the easiest. You will spare yourself a lot of stress and grief if you only prepare a gluten-free meal for the person who has to eat that way.
Yes, I suggested my friend serve a buffet, with something for everyone. I believe she's planning on roast beef, some kind of potatoes, vegetables and then adding this and that.

Not to get off the subject, but there are 5 little kids to feed also. The engaged couple is each divorced from flakes and have custody of their children, all between 5 and 8. Its going to be a fun, loud smorgasbord of food and people. It is also the day after her gay son's wedding. Some people have much more interesting lives than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
If money is no object, still I'd only order or prepare gluten-free food just for her. Having an entire spread of gluten-free food for the whole party may not be as enjoyable for the other guests who aren't used to eating gluten-free (gluten-free greatly limits menu options), especially if you get gluten-free versions of normally gluten-based foods like cakes or cookies. The taste and texture is different and won't appeal to people who aren't used to eating foods made of gluten-free flours.
This is not necessarily true. You can plan an entire menu of healthy tasty foods, and most people would never know they're eating a completely gluten free meal. And not all gluten free cakes and cookies are unappealing to those who aren't GF. I recently bought a GF birthday cake from a local bakery, and the general consensus among the non-GF folks was that it was better than most regular cakes.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Why not make it a pot-luck, and let everyone participate in the food preparation. This will take some of the load off the host or hostess.
As someone who is GF, this is kind of my nightmare. If one person prepares food, I can ask the appropriate questions to make sure I'm not eating something with gluten in it. If 20 people prepare food, it's safer if I just don't eat.

If I just trust that people understand all the hidden sources of gluten (most don't), I'll probably wind up very sick.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This is not necessarily true. You can plan an entire menu of healthy tasty foods, and most people would never know they're eating a completely gluten free meal. And not all gluten free cakes and cookies are unappealing to those who aren't GF. I recently bought a GF birthday cake from a local bakery, and the general consensus among the non-GF folks was that it was better than most regular cakes.
But a lot of people who don't eat GF can tell the difference so it's best to err on the side of caution, especially given than the OP is unfamiliar with GF food and cooking. I still wouldn't suggest a whole gluten-free spread.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm only a celiac who has been eating gluten-free for seven years. :-)

Old 08-21-2014, 06:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Gluten free cake, when made well, is much better than regular cake - the sponge is much nicer. And home made cookies - people often can't even tell the difference. Its only really bread and bread-like products that are worse, even GF pasta isn't that bad these days. Definitely easy to make a good menu totally gluten free but it could get quite expensive.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
But a lot of people who don't eat GF can tell the difference so it's best to err on the side of caution, especially given than the OP is unfamiliar with GF food and cooking. I still wouldn't suggest a whole gluten-free spread.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm only a celiac who has been eating gluten-free for seven years. :-)
Why not? I've served an entire GF Thanksgiving Dinner for extended family, and the only people who knew were the ones close enough to me to know I'm GF and watched me eat everything. In fact, the GF dressing got rave reviews and requests for the recipe (I had to admit that it was a mix)

Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Gluten free cake, when made well, is much better than regular cake - the sponge is much nicer. And home made cookies - people often can't even tell the difference. Its only really bread and bread-like products that are worse, even GF pasta isn't that bad these days. Definitely easy to make a good menu totally gluten free but it could get quite expensive.
I was frankly amazed at the cake I bought. It was almost like a pound cake, and the flavor was out of this world.

I agree that breads can be tricky. They can be done well, but it takes lots of practice with various alternative flour blends. Most breads are kind of disappointing.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, that is a new one: I am thinking maybe start with lox and bagels. I don't think bagels have gluten, but if they do, you might be able to find a bagel shop that does make them. Oh and are we talking morning, afternoon or night and are we talking appetizers or a full meal. I am also thinking chicken salad would be gluten free?
Bagels and any wheat products have gluten, the gluten free ones are terrible.

Just set out a buffet and label anything that is gluten free. We are used to that.

People always worry about it, and I tell them I will make do as long as there is an entree and some side dishes it's all good.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
I was frankly amazed at the cake I bought. It was almost like a pound cake, and the flavor was out of this world.

I agree that breads can be tricky. They can be done well, but it takes lots of practice with various alternative flour blends. Most breads are kind of disappointing.
My mum makes amazing GF cakes, if/when I get married I'm getting her to make my wedding cake for sure! Even my OH, on his very first attempt, made an excellent GF layer cake (I find that adding a bit of powdered milk to the mix really helps for some reason)

My breads are nearly always too dense but luckily there's a really decent frozen sliced loaf I can buy from my local shop that is pretty close in texture to regular bread.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Why not? I've served an entire GF Thanksgiving Dinner for extended family, and the only people who knew were the ones close enough to me to know I'm GF and watched me eat everything. In fact, the GF dressing got rave reviews and requests for the recipe (I had to admit that it was a mix)
In my experience, trying to serve gluten-free items just doesn't go over well. Besides that, it's too expensive to cook a whole gluten-free meal for everyone if you are going to substitute gluten-free items for everything. It's really pointless to cook gluten-free spread if the whole party doesn't have celiac disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink