Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You can make these yourself, too. Just buy a bag of corn masa, throw some in a bowl with water and salt, and roll it in to good, consistent ball. Put it between two plastic wrap sheets and work it in to a thin round circle with a rolling pin. Then just toss it on a hot, ungreased pan and flip it once or twice before it looks like a tortilla. Hang them on an elevated rack just so you get no moisture build-up after.

Whenever I make corn tortillas, I fry some sort of meat in Chipotle peppers and adobo sauce with some tomato, sugar, and lime. Add that to the tortillas with cilantro, salty cheese and maybe onion and it's great.
Sounds great! Another variation I'd suggest (if you're using fish, poultry or no meat) is fresh, cooked tomatillos and fresh serrano or Chile de Arbol peppers in the sauce, in place of chipotle/adobo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 PM

250 posts, read 693,676 times
Thanks to everyone who has answered. Every answer has been helpful to me.

I would like to tell Jesse thanks for posting that I can make my own tortillas because I might not have known. In the past I tried making my own several times. My goal always was to roll them out into thin, round shapes like those I buy in grocery stores. None of those were pretty (think blobs), although I thought they all were delicious since I love the corn tortilla taste so much.

About 2 years ago two women were demonstrating how to make tortillas in my favorite Hispanic store. I was thrilled that I was going to see this done. Apparently I was the only one thrilled because I ended up being their only audience member. I suspect all other customers were old hands at making tortillas and some probably had a lot more experience than the two very young demonstrators. However, most everyone was happy to come by for a sample after the tortillas were done.

The thing I found most interesting was that their tortillas were small and thick. They made what I call patties. They hand-patted out a small ball of dough into a disk that was about 3.5" across and nearly one-half inch high. I was really surprised. BUT... I can make those! They hold together in the pan. And they are delicious (of course, since they taste like corn tortillas). Anyone make or buy small, thick corn tortillas? ...Just dawned on me that maybe these weren't tortillas, but I'm almost sure that's what they said they were making.

More recently, I've been somewhat successful at rolling tortilla dough between two pieces of plastic wrap, but rarely take the time to do it.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:20 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,404,486 times
Burritos and fajitas are a must
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink