Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 07:51 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,964,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I must be the biggest slob on the planet.
I get everything out on the counter- usually
wash my hands with soap before preparing
if i get breading or egg or something slimy on my hands I wash again or at least wipe with shoulder towel or rinse with water
do wash with soap after handling meat
have no problem washing and preparing veggies- one after another without washing in between.
have no problem using same measuring cup which once measured flour for melting butter
poke everything with same granny fork
move spoon or flipper from one food to the other
put my shoulder towel in the laundry after every use---usually

None of us have died in the 39 years I've been keeping house.
ha, I cook a lot like you...
If I am cooking a dish that has meats & veggies together in it why does it matter if they touch each other on the cutting board..
Veggies eaten raw are another matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:29 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,512,192 times
Once, if I even wash beforehand at all. I cross contaminate between raw meats and uncooked herbs or vegetables all the time. I'm only ever serving myself, so if I get sick, only I pay for it.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 PM

37,474 posts, read 45,706,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Bla, bla, bla. Sorry you had to cut and paste all that, since I'll take the word of the guy who runs my city's wastewater treatment plant over some random wannabe on the internet anyway.

As for using it on kitchen countertops, a caustic chemical like bleach is completely unnecessary when vinegar, lemon juice, or just plain old soap and water will do just as well.
Wow. You would do well to do some research before making such foolish statements.

North River Wastewater Treatment Plant

Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,705,913 times
With soap?..... only after touching raw meat or eggs, or getting my hands coated with something sticky, like biscuit dough (I don't cut my biscuits out, just pinch them off and plop in the skillet). Even then (with biscuit dough), I usually just rinse until the mess comes off and then resume cooking.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 PM

104 posts, read 144,097 times
Default To Much

Probably why my hands look 80 lol while I look 25 right. seriously though I am very careful with food prep, I would not even buy bagged lettuce as its always involved in contamination issues, buy my own and chop it and spin in the salad spinner. cross contamination is what you have to think about while cooking, its a shame we have to treat our food like toxic waste, sometimes that's how I feel.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,705,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
With soap?..... only after touching raw meat or eggs, or getting my hands coated with something sticky, like biscuit dough (I don't cut my biscuits out, just pinch them off and plop in the skillet). Even then (with biscuit dough), I usually just rinse until the mess comes off and then resume cooking.
Oh, and before cooking, or course, or if I have to go to the bathroom while cooking. I'm not a filthy person, just not OCD.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:13 AM

43,359 posts, read 44,068,367 times
I wash my hands before and after being preparing food and in between preparing different types of food.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,820,186 times
A lot. I got food poisoning in 2000, and I have never forgotten it. I have always been a bit of a germophobe anyway, that experience pushed me over the edge!

I probably wash my hands 5-6 times while cooking. Before I start, if I handle eggs or meat, again. Same for handling fruits and vegetables. If I get anything sticky or sauce on my hands, again. And before I eat, I wash 'em again!

So far so good. Seems like other people's kids are often sick with vomiting/diarrhea, my kids almost never get sick with those things, I'd like to think when they do, it isn't because of anything I do. I am also very anal about expiration dates and food temperatures.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,288,853 times
I wash my hands often in the process of cooking, can't stand having different chemistry on them before I touch on a different item. Such as from veggies to meat, meat to utensils, seasonings etc.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:50 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,088,991 times
I am with you on hand washing. I have to do it often, especially with handling raw meat. My Dad believes in just washing with hot water for 10 seconds or less. I have a food safety background I just want to be safe and clean with food prep. I don't consider it to be OCD, just being safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink