Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If you paid for the food, you're entitled to all of it, but the busboy probably though he was being considerate and doing a good thing by cleaning up without disturbing those watching the presentation. My suggestion is to let it go.
I can buy it if it were some leftovers, but 2 full pies worth of pizza should've been way past the threshold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
You were at a restaurant but 10 feet away from your table? So you had already left your table? if that is the case I'd think the restaurant was in the right to clear you tables and make it ready for other customers. How long do you think it should be OK to tie up tables in a restaurant after you leave them?
"Tie up tables"? It was a Tues. evening. It's not like we were keeping a line of patrons in the waiting area from sitting down. They had plenty of open seats! And it was a presentation, so we needed the table space for materials.

Last edited by ackmondual; 08-27-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
I would absolutely have said something to management. The busboy might not have been trained properly, but that's on management as well. They should have either made you two more pies or refunded you. Either way, this place did not learn from the incident because nobody said anything, so it likely will now happen to someone else.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I can buy it if it were some leftovers, but 2 full pies worth of pizza should've been way past the threshold.
At this point, the opportunity to do anything about it has probably passed, so you're just venting. You have my sympathy, but there's nothing constructive that can be accomplished by sharing your frustration here. I suggest calling the establishment and expressing your dissatisfaction. Perhaps they'll be willing to rectify the situation? We certainly can't fix it for you!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
My usual line is, "If you try to take that, I'll break your fingers", spoken with an innocuous smile. I am a WASPy older woman, and nobody dares mess with me.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:

"Tie up tables"? It was a Tues. evening. It's not like we were keeping a line of patrons in the waiting area from sitting down. They had plenty of open seats! And it was a presentation, so we needed the table space for materials.
It sounds like you were taking up the table the pizza was on, the table you needed for materials & the presentation area...
Did you ask before you came about using the restuarant as a meeting room ???
I would think a presentation would be distracting for others who where dining here ???

Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly. I would have asked him to bring a box. We do that all the time before the uneaten food sits out too long. That way we pack it up ourselves.

Allowing patrons to take home uneaten food should be common practice for all non-buffet eateries.
Interesting....we just had Japanese guests who said in Japan it is against the law to carry food home from a restaurant....(liability/food safety). They were amazed American restaurants even provide boxes to take home left-overs and sometimes will box it up for you.

But I do carry home left-overs if I am going straight home and can get it into a refrigerator pretty quickly.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:30 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
If you abandon the table, all bets are off. If you leave for the "presentation room" that means you must be done eating.

Pizza's a little more casual. If I paid for it, I would talk to the manager and get coupon for free pizza next time, or dollars off the bill now.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:51 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
I had to laugh at this post. My wife has had waiters try to take her plate while she had a forkfull of food on the way to her mouth. She is a slow eater and I'm always done before her but they seem to assume that she's done too. It has happened so many time to her we almost wait for it. We just say, "We'll let you know when she's done".

Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
It sounds like you were taking up the table the pizza was on, the table you needed for materials & the presentation area...
Did you ask before you came about using the restuarant as a meeting room ???
I would think a presentation would be distracting for others who where dining here ???
It is hard to picture your situation. Were you eating at one table and then went to a different area (with a clean table) to have a presentation with speakers, materials, etc.?

Unless, this was arranged in advance, I suspect that your group were the ones "taking advantage" of the restaurant. To hold an actual meeting at a restaurant is often something they charge extra to do or you would have to have specific reservations to do it.

Quote:

Also, sometimes, people can't be right next to their food. Sometimes, they hold meetings where they need the table space for games, laptops, whatever, so that won't always work.
Isn't the whole point of eating in a restaurant is to be next to your food so you can eat it?

I agree, that the bus boy was probably just doing his job, cleaning up an area, where he thought that they patrons had already left the restaurant. It is too bad that good food was thrown away but people should have asked for too go bags before they left that table.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-27-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
Quote:

So you thought leaving their restaurant look like a mess with pizza, plates, dirty napkins, drink glasses, etc. for other patrons to have to look at was OK while you were having your presentation ... ROFLMBO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink