Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,728,376 times

Advertisements

Since I fix lunch for everyone in the morning and I work at home this is the norm

Hubby : leftovers or he goes to subway for the four dollar daily deal.
Adult son : two ham and cheese sandwiches a banana and a bottled water, my son doesn't really like leftovers.
Me : leftovers or a turkey sandwich or home made soup from my freezer that I heat in the microwave.

I only pick up lunch outside the home when I need to visit my suppliers and the shipping companies which is only about once a week if that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,659,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Just curious how many people bring their own lunch boxes to work? What do you make for your lunch at work? Saw there are a lot of nice lunch boxes out there, but thought it may be more convenient to just buy take-out?
Mostly leftovers...sometimes sandwiches...a container of yogurt. I do keep a few lean cuisine style frozen meals in my freezer to take on days there are no leftovers or sandwich fixings.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 PM

7,552 posts, read 8,584,456 times
So many of you eat leftovers. My appetite would be very different when eating the same thing a second time within a day.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:55 PM

338 posts, read 419,076 times
My "lunchbox" is a brown paper grocery bag from either Fred Meyer or Winco. The fare almost invariably consists of garden salad with bacon bits, peas and Ranch dressing, a blueberry muffin and a bottle of orange juice.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Rather than packing a lunch or bringing leftovers I have a rice cooker at work. I keep a large bag of jasmine or basmati rice and cartons of vegetable broth in the cabinet in the break room. Then I bring in fresh vegetables and herbs to prepare easy, tasty lunches.

I use a Lunch Blox cooler with ice packs to keep my veggies fresh until I add to the rice cooker.
They let you cook at work? That is a no go in most places.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
So many of you eat leftovers. My appetite would be very different when eating the same thing a second time within a day.
What is different about your appetite? If it was good the first time it will be good the next day.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:28 PM

7,552 posts, read 8,584,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
What is different about your appetite? If it was good the first time it will be good the next day.
and the day after the next, and the day after the day after the next...

Old 08-31-2014, 04:37 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,016,065 times
Quote:
To me most leftovers taste even better the next day. I love meatloaf sandwiches and homemade clam chowder and beef stew the next day. The flavors seem to intensify after being in the fridge overnight.

Some things are horrible if not eaten when first prepared. I like my steak medium rare and juicy, but if I have it leftover the next day I have to reheat it which makes it too well done and dry for me. Baked potatoes, fresh fish fillets and pizza are other foods I really don't like leftover. Although if I reheat these in the oven under the broiler, I can get some of their "crispiness" back and they are not so bad.

As far as eating the same thing a second time, I am known for taking the leftovers and incorporating them into another dish. For example, leftover meatloaf can be crumbled up and put in sauce for a sloppy joe sandwich or put in more sauce for spaghetti and meatsauce dinner. I take left over steak and shred it in the food processor, add green chilis and some mexican spices, saute it in a frying pan with minced onions and olive oil and use it as a filling for beef enchiladas. The same can be done with leftover chicken from roasting a whole chicken and using it to make chicken enchiladas or chicken cacciatore or chicken in a white cream sauce.

Every meal I cook at home I always make enough for leftovers to save time and money. I buy family size packages to save money and I can make another meal to save time.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:37 PM

16,348 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Leftovers, mostly.

However, my preference was my homemade chilis and soups.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,105,565 times
Quote:
Just curious how many people bring their own lunch boxes to work? What do you make for your lunch at work? Saw there are a lot of nice lunch boxes out there, but thought it may be more convenient to just buy take-out?
While it is more convenient to do take out your wallet and your waistline will soon show the signs of it. I loved my soft side zip cooler. I'd use a piece of blue ice in a zip lock just to be sure, and packed sandwiches -- produce in a separate container to not sog up the bread, a small bag of chips (also zip lock) or crackers. Celery sticks, yogurt... just tons of stuff out there and also a bottle of bubbly mineral water -- love the bubbles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink