Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM

420 posts, read 701,582 times

Advertisements

My job has a cafeteria opened M-F with a meal plan that is 30/paycheck after taxes. They serve a main entree for lunch that is usually weight watchers friendly, soup, a salad bar, and a cold sandwich/wrap bar, on top of the pizza, chips, pretzels, celery and carrot sticks, etc. Tuesday-Friday I usually get the main entree and for Saturdays I grab a cold sandwich, pizza, soup, whatever I want, really, and put it in our community refrigerator for work the next day. This is a common practice for all of us who work on the weekends. We also have free fountain drinks on all the floors, but I usually drink water.

If I was bringing my lunch from home I am usually in a rush. I have been known to grab the whole leftover container and take it with me to work in one of those reusable grocery bags.

My husband is not a big eater. He will eat some dry cereal in the day, and then go the ENTIRE work day without any food whatsoever. I don't know how he does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,033,752 times
I have an insulated lunch bag and I bring lunch almost every day. Not only does it save money, but since I started doing it a year ago I have lost a lot of weight!

I always bring 3 things: two things for at lunch, and one thing for a 4pm snack so I'm not starving by the time it's dinnertime (because if I'm super hungry at dinner time, I overeat). I bring any combination of the following:

leftovers
soup in a Tupperware container
snack size bag of carrots
fruit (apple, banana, chunks of cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries, etc.)
lite yogurt
lettuce salad

Old 08-31-2014, 05:22 PM

10,000 posts, read 8,523,694 times
I gave up on lunch boxes in the 3rd grade after someone got into my Quick Draw McGraw lunch box and stole my brownie, took a bite out of my apple, stuck a pencil thru my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and crushed my Baba Looey thermos. I started buying my lunch after that.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM

41,763 posts, read 74,766,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I gave up on lunch boxes in the 3rd grade after someone got into my Quick Draw McGraw lunch box and stole my brownie, took a bite out of my apple, stuck a pencil thru my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and crushed my Baba Looey thermos. I started buying my lunch after that.
Oh, man, that would suck. I love Baba Looey!

Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,787,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Just curious how many people bring their own lunch boxes to work? What do you make for your lunch at work? Saw there are a lot of nice lunch boxes out there, but thought it may be more convenient to just buy take-out?
I used to when I worked too far from home to travel back for lunch.

We had a GF grill so I would bring chicken breasts and lean thin steak and grill on site and have a salad with it.The smell of the food grilling would drive my coworkers crazy with hunger. Fresh fruit as a dessert.

Or,

I would make a sandwich at home with whatever appropriate cooked meat was leftover from the previous day.
I would bring roasted peanuts in the shell as a snack.

Or

Whatever precooked meat from the previous day which was not sandwich suitable-drumsticks, wings, etc and a salad.

Or,

I keep dry oatmeal, grits, protein powder, protein bars, granola, in my drawer on days I bring nothing.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,026,351 times
1/4 pound of turkey or chicken, thinly shaved (sometimes replaced with tuna)
whole wheat crackers
bag baggy of fresh vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, broccoli)
1 cup of fresh raspberries or cherries
cheese stick
low card energy bar
5 or 6 olives
I drink a few sips of a diet soft drink (one usually lasts 3 or 4 days)

Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,391,656 times
Quote:
Just curious how many people bring their own lunch boxes to work? What do you make for your lunch at work? Saw there are a lot of nice lunch boxes out there, but thought it may be more convenient to just buy take-out?
I like to make my favorite comfort foods or favorite food-to-go dishes and place them in small glass containers, most favorite ones from Ikea- just the right size without being too big or too small.

Some of my favs to pack are: eggplant Chinese style, Tom Yum soup, Miso soup, Miso seaweed soup, Braised caramelized chicken and eggs, fried rice, crispy shrimp, spaghetti, squash, Japanese curry, chicken korma, deep fried string beans.. I'm still trying to find more ideas.

I love finding new recipes and ideas, and the Japanese Bento box books have some really great recipes also.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,670,337 times
Quote:
and the day after the next, and the day after the day after the next...
?? Leftovers, if there are any....or normally one extra portion...maybe two. They certainly don't last multiple days like you are implying.

So....what is your issue with leftovers?

Old 09-01-2014, 05:37 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,724,063 times
We only get a half hour for lunch and there are no eateries close by, so I generally pack my lunch. I have one of those soft insulated carriers and I usually take left overs. I love left overs so I make a huge pot of chili, or some spaghetti product or roast beef, etc and put it into a tupperware container. I make enough to last me a couple or 3 days.

Today is left over pork chops and stuffing from dinner last night. Most people bring a cold sandwich, but I like a good warm lunch and a chance to relax for a half hour.

Don

Old 09-01-2014, 05:48 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,444,218 times
About 4 times out of the week, I'll bring leftovers. Only about 1 time a week I'll go out or order in. It adds up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink