Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

It’s seems like a no-brainer; if you’re going to eat the skin of a fruit or vegetable, rinse it under cold running water first. But most people are unaware that all fruits and vegetables should be washed — even those with inedible skins or rinds. Millions of people are sickened each year by contaminated food (as many as 48 million, according to the United States Food and Drug Administration) and many times the source of the outbreak is produce.

You've been washing your fruits and vegetables all wrong | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
It’s seems like a no-brainer; if you’re going to eat the skin of a fruit or vegetable, rinse it under cold running water first. But most people are unaware that all fruits and vegetables should be washed — even those with inedible skins or rinds. Millions of people are sickened each year by contaminated food (as many as 48 million, according to the United States Food and Drug Administration) and many times the source of the outbreak is produce.

This isn't news at all. For quite awhile we have been told to wash all produce, heck I read that maybe 10 years ago. Then the suggestion will die down, people will forget and someone will bring it to our attention again. I have to admit, I am not about to wash the skins of bananas, oranges, cantaloupe, etc. So fare I am still alive and don't think I have ever gotten sick from not washing the skins. For those who want to wash them, good for you. One of our granddaughters does.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

48 million get sick on produce ???? and of that 48 million people that get sick 47.9999999999 blame it on the meat!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Don't forget those lemons, limes and oranges you use to garnish drinks. Those suckers can get pretty nasty due to overhandling by the public at the supermarket, so wash thoroughly even though few people will actually eat the garnishes.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM

477 posts, read 800,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
48 million get sick on produce ???? and of that 48 million people that get sick 47.9999999999 blame it on the meat!!!
I wonder if most people getting sick from food prepare most of the food themselves or are eating at restaurants. A lot of restaurants are very dirty.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
If I will be cutting through the fruit like with a pineapple, lemon, avocado, or melon I wash the outside with dish soap and water first, rinsing thoroughly. But if I will simply be peeling the fruit I don't bother with washing the outside, like in the case of a banana.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I wonder if most people getting sick from food prepare most of the food themselves or are eating at restaurants. A lot of restaurants are very dirty.
great point,,,

a month or so ago I waited in line at a restaurant to eat (I rarely do this, but was invited, so its inferred im not paying )
anyways, this was a fairly upscale restaurant and in the waiting line,,,
im observing the folks,,,

three kids were sneezing and hacking -their father hollered to cover their mouths,,,but now they got crap all over their hands and touching everything,,, even noticed one kid holding the door open for others- now that door handle has sick germs on it

one lady was blowing her nose, and one husband, was chewing (tobacco) and spit out in the trash- it almost made the nose blower vomit,,,so it was almost comical..

one well dressed man smelled like a cross between an ash tray and fish bait...

we got to our tables and the server was using a rag to wipe the table,,,, rags harbor more bacteria than a dung beetle

so,,,this stuff didn't bother me so much 20 yrs ago, but now some stuff kinda irks ya...
im thinking ill have a couple drinks and make sure the entrée is medium to kill any residual bacterias floating around..

im starting to notice the "uncooked" items- the salads, fruits, yes, even lime wedges, that people handle with their hands

Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I used to order a lot of lemon for my water and make a kind of weak lemonade. But ever since I read how contaminated lemons are I don't do that anymore. I do however keep a purse size package of wipes and always wipe down the tables. I don't care who sees this and thinks I'm weird. Even after that DH will not put his utensils down on a bare table. He always asks for extra napkins so none of us have to put utensils on the table.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:50 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
When I started staying in Mexico in the winter I heard I needed to wash my fruits and vegetables. Some chemical solution was recommended. But I found out that the FDA recommends a solution of one-third part vinegar to two-thirds water. This not only cleans but also kills bacteria. It's also inexpensive.

For things like lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower I give them a good soak and then rinse. And I do always use it on the rinds of avocados and melons. If they are contaminated with bacteria you can carry that with your knife into the edible part.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
When I started staying in Mexico in the winter I heard I needed to wash my fruits and vegetables. Some chemical solution was recommended. But I found out that the FDA recommends a solution of one-third part vinegar to two-thirds water. This not only cleans but also kills bacteria. It's also inexpensive.

For things like lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower I give them a good soak and then rinse. And I do always use it on the rinds of avocados and melons. If they are contaminated with bacteria you can carry that with your knife into the edible part.
Was just getting ready to post this when I read your post.

That is the exactly why the rinds/skins need to always be washed.

I have had people laugh at me for washing bananas. I am surprised folks don't think that once they touch that banana, whatever is on it is transferred to their hands! So you rip back the banana peel, then maybe break off a piece of the banana and hand it to your child . . . bacteria and all, lol.

Same for melons - that knife will carry with it all the bacteria into the flesh of the melon. And if you don't wash the skin of the melon, your hands have come into contact with who knows what.

I have been using the vinegar and water wash for decades. My grandmother taught me to do this and she died when I was 12. She was a big proponent of bleaching countertops and dishcloths several times a day when in the kitchen.

Grapes are especially nasty. I have even found spiders and bits of spider webs deep inside clusters of grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink