Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:23 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,856 times

Advertisements

Is there any one else like myself that is disappointed and ticked off that practically everything has soy in it?
I know why the big food producers use it. Because it's CHEAP, and all the big food agribusinesses are getting rich off of it.

But soy is goitrogenic and estrogenic, and it can be a severe allergen.

Practically EVERY vegetarian soup at a national chain cafe I go to has soy in it. Why? They don't HAVE to make it with soy. There's no reason 12 veggie soup has to have soy!

And ohe "organic' salad dressing I looked at that had the name "olive oil" on the label -- had as the FIRST ingredient...SOY oil!

I know....like everything else if you're trying to eat healthily.....it's on us to seek out healthy food.
I know ...the food industrial complex isn't interested in our health.
It's just frustrating sometimes....it doesn't HAVE to be this way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Nope, it doesn't. Eat a nice chicken breast or a steak. No soy in that. Fresh vegetables. No soy in that.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
It doesn't have to be that way, but you have complete control over what you consume. Don't like soy? Don't eat it.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
Darn, this reminds me that I forgot to get soy sauce yesterday...for my Sunday pork chops.
I haven't really had any problem buying things that happen to have no soy...I didn't realize that that was odd.

Last edited by rainroosty; 08-30-2014 at 11:45 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
you have complete control over what you consume. Don't like soy? Don't eat it.
That's true, but it's frustrating to go to a lunch cafe and see that every soup offering they have has soy in it.
The 12 veggie, the lentil, the eggplant soup, the potato curry....and more...all have soy.

It'd be nice if soy weren't so ubiquitous so those of us who shouldn't have it could have some of those selections also.
Especially when there's no reason for soy to be in there in the first place.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
That's true, but it's frustrating to go to a lunch cafe and see that every soup offering they have has soy in it.
The 12 veggie, the lentil, the eggplant soup, the potato curry....and more...all have soy.

It'd be nice if soy weren't so ubiquitous so those of us who shouldn't have it could have some of those selections also.
Especially when there's no reason for soy to be in there in the first place.

Restaurants realistically cannot cater to every dietary need on the planet and still stay in business.

If you do not want soy in your food then you need to prepare the food you consume yourself and not go out to eat.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
I understand OPs concern, but I don't think soy allergies are extremely common so to expect major restaurants to serve a lot of vegetarian foods with no soy isn't realistic. Just stick with a basic salad if you are a vegetarian and if just wanting to eat healthy, add chicken. If restaurants were to cater to all of us, who have sensitivity to certain foods can you imagine how huge the job or running a kitchen would be and how much research would be needed? I doubt there is a food product that someone isn't allergic or sensitive to these days.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Restaurants realistically cannot cater to every dietary need on the planet and still stay in business.
But they can make dishes without soy.

Quote:
and how much research would be needed?
How much research is needed to make vegetable soup or anything else without soy...just don't add it.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
The problem with eating out is making sure what you are eating is what they claim. A lot of meats have fillers in them, and those fillers often are made from adjuncts like soy and wheat. This is why I prefer to get top cuts of meat when I eat out, to make sure it isn't filled with adjuncts. Most packaging will state if items have fillers in them. The less ingredients the better.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
I don't think a minimum amt. of soy in a general serving is estrogenic. If it is, it's very weak.Maybe if you ingest 6-7 servings a day, every day, but for the average glass of soy milk, of piece of soy cheese, it's generally healthy, unless you're allergic of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink