Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Food processors.
Purchasing the onions sliced.
Meat slicer.
I've never noticed onion slices for purchase (seems like something that would be a lot more expensive then buying a whole onion), and maybe I just don't have a fancy enough food processor, but I wouldn't have a clue how to get an onion sliced with it.

I do have a mandolin slicer that I use sometimes, but its not that much different then using a knife since I still have to touch/hold the onion.

But I would think most people would just use a knife to cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Well... there are restaurants that have figured that one out - some involve using frozen product and some involve mechanical processing.
But is this thread about restaurants? I thought it was home cooks. Everyone I know uses a knife controlled by their hand. I guess I just don't see the amazement in using your hands and a knife to cut with. I'm sure even people who don't really like cooking do that.

Or is it just that those who don't like cooking wash their hands afterwards?

Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I only use my food processor to slice up onions when I'm making french onion soup
which takes up a whole bag of onions.

Last edited by no kudzu; 09-05-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 10:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
when you can just look at a recipe and know it will not work for you and when you like to tweak or combine recipes to get your own way to doing it

Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
When you have to hit four different grocery stores, the international market, plus the farmer's market just to get everything you need on a shopping trip lol.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:12 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never noticed onion slices for purchase (seems like something that would be a lot more expensive then buying a whole onion), and maybe I just don't have a fancy enough food processor, but I wouldn't have a clue how to get an onion sliced with it.

I do have a mandolin slicer that I use sometimes, but its not that much different then using a knife since I still have to touch/hold the onion.

But I would think most people would just use a knife to cut it.

As would I.

You can but sliced onions as well as diced onions, celery, etch at places like Restaurant Depot, GFS Marketplace and the like. They are more expensive but there are a lot of people who prefer not to do a lot of processing. To me, it is sort of lazy.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:39 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But is this thread about restaurants?...
This thread is about the love of cooking - at home or in a restaurant. There are many professional chefs and home cooks who have a passion for cooking - that passion involves getting close to the food.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This thread is about the love of cooking - at home or in a restaurant. There are many professional chefs and home cooks who have a passion for cooking - that passion involves getting close to the food.
I still just don't understand what cutting an onion with a knife has to do with whether someone has a passion for cooking or not. A majority of people, even if they don't really like cooking, use a knife to slice up onions.

I doubt someone who doesn't like cooking is going to go spend money on some fancy gadget or a meat slicer just so they can have some slices of onion on a sandwich or in a recipe.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:33 PM

351 posts, read 586,911 times
Default You know you love to cook...

You know you love to cook when a dish that's one of your "specialities" doesn't turn out right like it usually does, (even though you are loath to throw out food) you throw it out anyway and start all over again!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
I wish I could get excited about cooking but after having to do it nearly every day for thirty years makes it a chore I can do without. John cooks now since he retired and I'm loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink