Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never noticed onion slices for purchase (seems like something that would be a lot more expensive then buying a whole onion), and maybe I just don't have a fancy enough food processor, but I wouldn't have a clue how to get an onion sliced with it.

I do have a mandolin slicer that I use sometimes, but its not that much different then using a knife since I still have to touch/hold the onion.

But I would think most people would just use a knife to cut it.
The food processor is an electric mandolin and my mandolin which I use often has a "cap" with prongs in it to use while doing the actual slicing.

On the food processor there is or should be a disc blade that will slice onion, carrot, lettuce etc.
Mine has one anyway along with a shredding disc which I rarely use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
I still just don't understand what cutting an onion with a knife has to do with whether someone has a passion for cooking or not. A majority of people, even if they don't really like cooking, use a knife to slice up onions.

I doubt someone who doesn't like cooking is going to go spend money on some fancy gadget or a meat slicer just so they can have some slices of onion on a sandwich or in a recipe.
The comment was about me enjoying the lingering smell of the onions and garlic - not the act of slicing.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
....you'll slog through a long discussion about various methods of cutting onions just to read a bit from other cooks about what they enjoy!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 PM

374 posts, read 492,184 times
Quote:
I still just don't understand what cutting an onion with a knife has to do with whether someone has a passion for cooking or not. A majority of people, even if they don't really like cooking, use a knife to slice up onions.

I doubt someone who doesn't like cooking is going to go spend money on some fancy gadget or a meat slicer just so they can have some slices of onion on a sandwich or in a recipe.
I love cooking and baking. Many don't anymore. Sliced onions are you kidding???... I agree with Dirtgrinder, many just buy frozen foods, boxed meals, take out, frozen cut onions or precut in veggie department now. I know as I am on many boards and have many friends who don't cook or bake from scratch.

What you see as a no be deal is because you cook. If you love to cook you know fresh onions and garlic are the best, not garlic in a jar, frozen onions etc. but yes many do that now. Not a big shocker.

Happy cooking, baking, flour tossing, bread baking and pizza making all. Enjoy it all, so good and healthy as well.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
I love cooking and baking. Many don't anymore. Sliced onions are you kidding???... I agree with Dirtgrinder, many just buy frozen foods, boxed meals, take out, frozen cut onions or precut in veggie department now. I know as I am on many boards and have many friends who don't cook or bake from scratch.

What you see as a no be deal is because you cook. If you love to cook you know fresh onions and garlic are the best, not garlic in a jar, frozen onions etc. but yes many do that now. Not a bigger shocker.

What I will do if my onions are getting close to turning, I will get out my food processor and chop or slice all the onions I have on the shelf and put them in the ziploc snack bags and toss them in the freezer.
That way they get used not thrown out and those times when I put something in the slow cooker or I'm in a bit of a hurry I have already sliced or diced onions in the freezer.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
I love cooking and baking. Many don't anymore. Sliced onions are you kidding???... I agree with Dirtgrinder, many just buy frozen foods, boxed meals, take out, frozen cut onions or precut in veggie department now. I know as I am on many boards and have many friends who don't cook or bake from scratch..
I have used the pre-cut when preparing church dinners. I have diced literally tons of onions over the years. However when I am cooking for 100+ with little help ... anything that saves me time and effort.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:06 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Love cooking when....
you again buy a cookbook that you had donated away yrs ago

Old 09-06-2014, 05:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Well, I did it!

Got out the mixing bowl, the flour, the rolling pin, the spices, and all the other things. Started off as I usually do these days, taking my jeans off to be comfortable but then got to thinking, no, this is "traditional", pulled them back on, and went to work.

Mixed the flour and spices together, poured it out on the cutting board, kneaded it, rolled it out, singing lyrics from "Oliver!".

Made the insides from hamburger, feta and chedder, capers and olives, some anchovy paste. Rolled up the insides in the dough and now it is in the oven, probably to all be consumed for my dinner.

Sigh.............flour on the jeans!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:29 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
..... a spotlessly clean kitchen seems like an invitation to start making something.

..... you have a vintage apron collection, and you wear them.

..... you'd rather read a new cookbook than a bodice ripper.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
You know you love to cook when you take delight in teach your children not only basics but some specialty techniques.

I'm teaching my daughters some basic French and I started out with a long list of French cooking terms. They were amazed how often French is used in everyday English speaking.While the three of us were having a cooking lesson one was hands on while i instructed and the other had to tally every French word I used. We had fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink