Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times

Advertisements

I remember when I was a kid and young man....that in most small New England towns and villages there was a Fish and Chip place that opened on Fridays.....sometimes it served breakfasts and lunches during the week but they were really about the Fish and Chips. This was back before God decided it was ok to eat meat on Friday....so many families had to have fish for supper.

There are only so many ways to serve tuna and canned salmon.....so for supper Fish and chips were popular. There would be lines waiting at the Fish and Chip place.....for the golden flakey pieces of haddock or cod and the hand cut French fries.....this was 100% a carry out business...the fish wrapped in newspaper and put into a brown paper bag....carried home while hot...the bag grease stained....served with lots of salt and pepper and vinegar all across town.

Many of these places were only open on Fridays and did a huge business just before supper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
I grew up in Ohio and during Lent, it seemed there was a fish fry on every corner. The churches, the VFW halls, the fire departments; everywhere. I moved around a bit after that and years later settled in DFW. I couldn't find a fish fry anywhere. I wondered if this was just something that wasn't done there, or if they had simply faded away. Are they still common in other parts of the country?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
I still see Friday Fish Frys in North Carolina. Mostly during lent.

But we also have a restaurant a couple miles from my house that serves this sort of thing 7 days a week. So we're not exactly lacking.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:46 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I remember when I was a kid and young man....that in most small New England towns and villages there was a Fish and Chip place that opened on Fridays.....sometimes it served breakfasts and lunches during the week but they were really about the Fish and Chips. This was back before God decided it was ok to eat meat on Friday....so many families had to have fish for supper.

There are only so many ways to serve tuna and canned salmon.....so for supper Fish and chips were popular. There would be lines waiting at the Fish and Chip place.....for the golden flakey pieces of haddock or cod and the hand cut French fries.....this was 100% a carry out business...the fish wrapped in newspaper and put into a brown paper bag....carried home while hot...the bag grease stained....served with lots of salt and pepper and vinegar all across town.

Many of these places were only open on Fridays and did a huge business just before supper.
Every restaurant in WI has fish fry Fridays......but they are not carry out only.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I grew up in Ohio and during Lent, it seemed there was a fish fry on every corner. The churches, the VFW halls, the fire departments; everywhere. I moved around a bit after that and years later settled in DFW. I couldn't find a fish fry anywhere. I wondered if this was just something that wasn't done there, or if they had simply faded away. Are they still common in other parts of the country?
The Elks did the lent one in my town....place was packed every friday...tbey stopped doing it when the younger members didn't want to help out any longer and the old folks just got too old..

Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I did see in Maine during Lent the Catholic Church had fish fry suppers....but not the kind of one day a week operations I am remembering in store fronts.....at the less busy (seedy) side of town.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:19 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I had fish and chips frequently when I lived in England for 2 years as a child and at least once a week during my 6 month stay as an adult in Australia. But this was on various days of the week and not particularly on a Friday.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:45 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
I live in Massachusetts. The Portuguese market I frequent has fish fries every Friday. When I still worked (SAHM now) we would send someone with a large order every week. Now I really miss it!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Regular occurrence in WI, and in lakeside communities in northern IL, too.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Fish fries are in Pittsburgh year around. Mostly fish sandwiches though. There are some really good ones around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink