Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:57 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times

Advertisements

Mint can be very over-powering just like it is in the garden--spreading its tenacles. I use it reservedly--most often in summer drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
What about thyme and marjoram and rosemary?

Does anyone use mint in their cooking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,056 times
Default Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Mint can be very over-powering just like it is in the garden--spreading its tenacles. I use it reservedly--most often in summer drinks.
How about pea soup with mint?

Couscous and mint?

Lamb and mint?

Asian and Middle Eastern cooking uses lots of mint.

And I just found this recipe for a mint pesto, which looks quite interesting.....

MINT PESTO

This delightful dessert pesto is terrific with chocolate. Try it as a filling for sandwich cookies or mix some into chocolate sauce for ice cream or cake.

1/2 cup macadamia nuts

2 cups packed fresh mint leaves

1/3 cup honey

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, briefly chop the nuts before adding the remaining ingredients. Puree until reduced to a paste. If not using right away, transfer to a glass container, lay plastic wrap over the top so it is touching thus keeping air from penetrating the pesto. Store in refrigerator for up to a month.

Yield: about 1 cup

Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 AM

While trying to respond I had a short power outage

I've used mint with lamb with success, but a little goes a long way.

As for pesto, I've made it with several different leafy herbs. Each has its own personality.

Mint jelly is a good alternative to dry leaf or fresh leaf mint--again this is my opinion.

I had a historic herb garden years ago, and mint was a nemesis to some of the other herb beds. Also there are quite a few varieties of mint, and each has its own smell and taste.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
While trying to respond I had a short power outage

I've used mint with lamb with success, but a little goes a long way.

As for pesto, I've made it with several different leafy herbs. Each has its own personality.

Mint jelly is a good alternative to dry leaf or fresh leaf mint--again this is my opinion.

I had a historic herb garden years ago, and mint was a nemesis to some of the other herb beds. Also there are quite a few varieties of mint, and each has its own smell and taste.
You can make some couscous, mix in a few vegetables, some ground meat, and mint. Makes a nice, quick and easy dish.

I've grown mint in the garden, and I know how it totally takes over. Even after I tore up every little mint leave, the mint would still grow back the next season. You can never get rid of it. Next time, I will pot it alone.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:58 AM

I am very fond of couscous and will give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

But mint, itself, won't be one of the herbs I plant this Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
You can make some couscous, mix in a few vegetables, some ground meat, and mint. Makes a nice, quick and easy dish.

I've grown mint in the garden, and I know how it totally takes over. Even after I tore up every little mint leave, the mint would still grow back the next season. You can never get rid of it. Next time, I will pot it alone.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:00 AM

288 posts, read 1,554,973 times
I put Paprika and Cayenne Pepper on everything. I like others, but these two are my favourites.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:37 AM

352 posts, read 796,612 times
This is not very "elegant" as spices go but, we like Montreal Steak Seasoning on almost everything...the "perfect" blend of black and red pepper and garlic. Also, use a lot of Lawry's Seasoned salt, Konriko Creole Seasoning, McCormick Hot Shot (blended pepper), chili powders, Cayenne , blended seasonings of all types...it removes some of the guesswork..

Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
More than anything, I really like fresh herbs -- my favorites being rosemary, thyme, and sage. These are so good in a number of things, including poultry, dried beans, salads and stews.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,436 times
I use "soul" seasoning in just about everything. It is so good.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM

I made my chicken and vegetable root stew with marjoram. It came out with the most wonderful flavor. I had threw bowls today. I need to make it again though to work on the recipe a bit. Marjoram (fresh) has a wonderful subtle flavor.

greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink