Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,862,408 times

Advertisements

I use fresh Rosemary in my garlic mashed potatos, roasted red skin potatos, chicken and different sauces.

I like cumin in my chili, in my baby back ribs marinade and mexican dishes.

I use ginger in a great steak marinade.....ginger, olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, teriyaki, green onion and fresh ground black pepper, honey and shallots... I do different variations but ginger is a must!

Fresh basil is great for Bruschetta and also for fresh mozz, tomato and balsamic vin. mixture.

I use dill on baked Salmon and other types of fish with a white sauce. I also like dill in my cuccumber salad.

I love pumpkin pie spice when I am making holiday dishes!

I would also have to agree with the other poster about curry in butternut squash soup...I made a pumpkin curry soup and that turned out real good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 02:16 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I almost always either use lemon pepper and/or montreal seasoning as primary, among other seasonings, depending on what Im making. But for my own personal taste buds, there isnt too many things I dont add either those red chili peppers or jalapenos to.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:34 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
It probably doesn't count as a spice, but I use the juice or brine from jars of sliced jalapenos in loads of things - marinades, salad dressings, guacamole, salsas, tomato soup with fresh cilantro and lime juice...think i may be addicted

Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
I find rosemary and a bit of cumin goes really good with lamb. Also the trick is to add the spices at different times so the flavors don't just meld together. The point is that different spices have different temperatures where they release their oils, so it is best to add them at the right time.

Don't ask me many follow up questions. Most of my cooking is a strict trial and error process.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 PM

170 posts, read 893,155 times
If you haven't tried Tellicherry peppercorns try to get your hands on some. Premium flavour! And while salt is a seasoning and not a spice (but given we are also using herbs in this section ) I'd recommend trying some Welsh oak smoked salt or some Murray River salt from Australia. A little sprinkled on some tomatoes or salad is a nice introduction.

Fennel seeds impart a lovely anise flavour and I love to use it with fish or chicken.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM

634 posts, read 2,921,860 times
Oregano, Rosemary

Old 02-24-2008, 07:20 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
I use salt, black pepper, red repper, crushed red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, ginger, garlic powder and brown sugar to make a wicked dry rub for London Broil. I let it sit in the fridge all spiced up for 24 hours, then pop it onto the grill and OH BABY!!!

Charley

Old 02-24-2008, 07:50 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
I like Old Bay Seasoning, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano & my family loves square fried potatos seasoned with seasoning salt.

I can't wait to grill again! Too cold and windy here!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
Lawry's Seasoning Salt on my Grilled Ribeye, it's simple - but you can't beat it.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,450,929 times
It all depends on what I am cooking. For roasts, BBQs, baked meat I think the best is rosemary, garlic and olive oil. For stews I put bay leaves, garlic or onion, thyme and wine (not a spice, I know, but great for cooking).
For recipies with tomatoes either raw or cooked, nothing beats a few basil leaves (I always have a plant in my kitchen) and garlic. Oregano is also very good with tomaotes.
An erb that goes very well with garlic is also parsley so if I prepare mashrooms or egg plants with garlic I add quite a lot of parsley.
Then obviously there are all the Asian spices that I love but I tend to use them if I cook more "exotic" recipies.
I also use quite a bit of cinnamon both for sweet and savory dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink