Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:37 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Kerrygold can be worth purchasing because of the flavor... it is expensive though. The Costco by me has it and that's where I buy it.
I didn't think there was a difference in butter (butter is butter right?) but I also think Kerrygold tastes better than the store brand. I buy that for the butter dish to spread on things, I cook and bake with the cheaper stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 01:04 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
..... It's processed foods that eat your money. One less Big Mac will buy two pounds of butter.
Sort of what I tell myself about skipping the Chinese buffet. A skip will buy a quarter of a brisket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
I admit it - I'm a butter junkie. English muffins, bagels, spaghetti, corn........we use a lot of butter but at $4 a pound here for store brand, it is becoming a luxury item. Then again, at 4.25 a pound, even 80% hamburger is becoming a luxury.
This looks like a place to step in.

Butter for spaghetti? Do tell!

Me, I have the stuff around, but I hardly ever use it except for baking cookies. In fact, had 80% of a bar I threw out on Sunday because it had slipped out of its place in the frig and landed on the deck. Don't know how long it had been there in the frig, don't recall what I had used the other 20% for.

About the only other things I might use it for are baked potatoes, which I don't, and pancakes. To the former, try to take my potatoes with spices alone, or, perhaps the feta and cheddar I keep around. To the latter, maybe....my pancake eating style of no syrup (and perhaps no butter) causes many a raised eyebrow.

As a graveyard shift worker, breakfast has disappeared from my diet and when I do have something like that, it's fish tacos.

Back to the topic; if you hardly use something, you probably won't notice the incremental increase, just the jump when you have to buy it again......if you remember what you paid for it the first time.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:04 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
I wish it were $2.50. The cheapest here is $3.49, and that's at Wegmans
and for their brand. Land o' Lakes is $3.99.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Food prices are very volatile. Last year there was a glut of meat and butter, so the price dropped 50%. This year supplies are tighter, so the price is rising. Two years ago there was a peanut crop failure, so the price of peanut butter doubled. This year it has dropped back to normal. If it's a problem, just eat whatever is cheapest. However, food is only 8% of the average household budget, and an increase in price is hardly noticed in the overall cash flow. It's processed foods that eat your money. One less Big Mac will buy two pounds of butter.

I understand fluctuations in pricing, but still - the overall trend in groceries is UP UP UP and it definitely seems like it's at a faster pace than general inflation.

I think it's ridiculous not to calculate that increase in our inflation rate. This could be done quarterly and yearly - along with energy costs.

As for food being 8 percent of the household budget - well, I've been rich and I've been poor and when I was poor it was a much higher percentage and price increases were definitely noticeable. I buy what I want to now regardless of price (within reason of course) but I often leave the grocery store feeling VERY empathetic toward people who are struggling financially.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I expect prices to readjust a bit. I think the word is definitely starting to get out that Butter in healthy moderation is considered perfectly healthy by scientific community. But I notice already there is a pretty big variance in prices between stores and from brand to brand.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Butter for spaghetti? Do tell!
I'll answer that one. Warm a 1:1 ratio of butter to olive oil in a saucepan, add minced garlic and heat gently until fragrant. Toss with cooked spaghettini, a handful of chopped Italian parsley, and a spritz of fresh lemon juice. Top with finely grated parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:47 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'll answer that one. Warm a 1:1 ratio of butter to olive oil in a saucepan, add minced garlic and heat gently until fragrant. Toss with cooked spaghettini, a handful of chopped Italian parsley, and a spritz of fresh lemon juice. Top with finely grated parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.
Delicious. I would add a little bit of basil and crushed red pepper.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Kerrygold can be worth purchasing because of the flavor... it is expensive though. The Costco by me has it and that's where I buy it.
Kerrygold is good stuff! I buy it at Trader Joe's where it's about 1/2 the price my local grocery sells it for.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kerrygold is good stuff! I buy it at Trader Joe's where it's about 1/2 the price my local grocery sells it for.
Is it a cultured butter? There are two different kinds of butter, cultured and sweet cream. Most butter in the USA is sweet cream, but if you let the cream sour a little bit it gives the butter a little bit of a bite. Cultured butter and cultured buttermilk are favorites of bakers.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:33 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Quote:
Is it a cultured butter? There are two different kinds of butter, cultured and sweet cream. Most butter in the USA is sweet cream, but if you let the cream sour a little bit it gives the butter a little bit of a bite. Cultured butter and cultured buttermilk are favorites of bakers.
I don't think kerrygold is cultured, I believe the cows are grass fed. It's milk from Irish cows, not american, and imported. It has a deeper yellow color, and a stronger flavor of butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink